Gransnet forums

News & politics

Principality of Piddington

(312 Posts)
Sarnia Wed 16-Sept-26 13:19:22

No surprise that their symbolic referendum returned a vote to leave the UK. It won't make one jot of difference but it doesn't hurt to let AB know how strongly some people feel about the imminent arrival of 1,500 migrants on the doorstep of a village with 350 inhabitants.
AB has said there needs to be fairness in where these migrants are housed and says the boat arrivals are at a 7 year low. Boy, is he missing the point. Reduced boat arrivals or not, what many people are appalled at is the length of time it takes to vet those already here and the areas chosen for them to live while they wait are often inappropriate.
I really feel for the Piddington residents, especially women and young girls.

Plevey08 Mon 21-Sept-26 20:33:38

I am less sure it will go ahead. I think AB may feel that because he hasn't been elected, which can be a common dilemma, for unelected PM's, he will likely delay any decision. Too risky perhaps.

Casdon Mon 21-Sept-26 20:44:31

Galaxy

I cant imagine why people are treating to reform or what I think of as 'beyond Reform' . It is a mystery.

Just for you Galaxy.
www.google.com/goto?url=CAESdAHrOzAVPNgJLTBHNCPvg4raYDaJ3UKEBs1LnGIAPNc9fBTa_Dckk1tznDZDeMGMOq-9LilBB5xtZjbLL5p8f4V8MH6waLqKW_ARqtxvvfoCX-cFAP-fFi2ZYLoOBdqHYssZk00L7ODU6FmiciKUAtYQ_UV_

Jaxjacky Mon 21-Sept-26 21:14:07

They could house them near here, I wouldn’t mind, rather than the 2,500 new build that’s happening now, no new main roads, GP’s or dentists, at least the MOD site inhabitants won’t stress local infrastructure.

Doodledog Mon 21-Sept-26 23:58:16

Cossy

greyfur16

Why do people persist in banaging on about "taking one in"

Nobody knows what others are doing.

Because, if you support following the laws, International, National and Maritime and you don’t think all people arriving via irregular means are vile, awful, murderous sex offenders, it appears to naturally follow that you should or must put one in your spare room, even if you don’t have a spare room!

Go figure 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

It's ridiculous, isn't it?

I support getting rid of homelessness. Do I want a random homeless person in my spare room? Absolutely not.

I would love to see social care sorted out so that the elderly and infirm are cared for. Do I want to adopt a dementia patient? Of course not. I would, I hope, look after my husband if he were ill, but would find even that difficult, much as I love him, as I am not trained to do it, and am not in the best of health myself.

I would like to see MH and addiction services massively improved, but I am not about to offer a room to a mentally ill addict. I could go on.

People's homes are for themselves and their partners/families. There are some generously-spirited people who are willing to take in the needy, but I don't think a reluctance to do that is hypocrisy. If I took in strangers I wouldn't have room for my children, apart from anything else.

That doesn't mean that I don't support care for others, but my support is in the form of voting for parties who have compassion, and by not objecting to some of my taxes going towards showing it.

Maremia Tue 22-Sept-26 08:24:11

Great post Doodledog

Cossy Tue 22-Sept-26 15:33:01

Maremia

Great post Doodledog

I agree flowers

Cossy Tue 22-Sept-26 15:44:27

The below is precisely why some of despise and fear the damage Restore and Reform have, and continue to do to a country in which we both live and would love to feel proud of;

“Over the past few weeks, the RNLI has faced a wave of hostility over its work rescuing people at sea.

Staff and volunteers have faced abuse online and in person, while safety concerns led the charity to temporarily take its Portsmouth lifeboat station off service.

But behind some of this online targeting is a wider story.

My team has identified the man behind an account that has been building what it calls a “Traitorbase” of charity workers, aid workers and others it brands “traitors”.

Our investigation identified the man behind the “Big Time Charlie” account as Tom Watson, a businessman from Worcester and founder of recruitment firm Futura Energy Group.

TIme is up for Big Time Charlie
Watson has described using AI to gather information from LinkedIn and elsewhere about people working for charities, campaign groups and other organisations.

His campaign has targeted people connected to organisations including the RNLI and Stand Up to Racism, as well as business owners who recruit people from ethnic minority backgrounds.

And his public posts go much further.

Watson has written that there should not be a single Pakistani or Muslim person in Britain, referred to Rishi Sunak as an “invader”, and claimed he has “always employed Anglo Saxon men only”.

He has also offered to distribute material for Remigration Now, a group campaigning for the removal of non-white people from Britain.

Our investigation also uncovered his connection to Rupert Lowe’s Restore Britain.

Watson has publicly said he is “on the ground most days leafleting” for Restore Britain and that he donated £2,500 to join its Cromwell Club.

Restore describes the Cromwell Club as an annual £2,500 donor membership, with donations supporting its political campaigning and operations.

Investigations like this take time.

My team can spend weeks, sometimes months, following leads, checking records, archiving evidence and establishing who is behind anonymous accounts.

That work takes resources. Investigating hostile online activity can also take a real toll on the people carrying it out.

Thank you,

Joe Mulhall

Director of Research at HOPE not hate”

I have edited the latter part of this, as it’s a plea for financial support, I’m telling you in the spirit of fairness, so there’s no misleading you.

Plevey08 Wed 23-Sept-26 08:15:23

How do those like Watson foster such despicable views and actions?
I can only hope that any right minded Restore/Reform followers, can reassess and still truly align themselves with such despicable views and actions.

greyfur16 Wed 23-Sept-26 08:33:37

Plevey08

How do those like Watson foster such despicable views and actions?
I can only hope that any right minded Restore/Reform followers, can reassess and still truly align themselves with such despicable views and actions.

But they are in agreement with his views?

Plevey08 Wed 23-Sept-26 09:11:37

Surely not all?

greyfur16 Wed 23-Sept-26 12:03:58

Plevey08

Surely not all?

You would hope so.