If there is just you I would advise don't bother with an oven. Anything you need to cook can be done in a microwave or air fryer!
Do You Have Any Strange Memories?
Hegseth wants to livestream execution !
Earlier this year my gas Rayburn was condemned and I have so far been advised
A) gas is being phased out so go for electric.
B) it's possible to convert a Rayburn or Aga to electricity, but it is v expensive (£2k) and not v economical to run, also it won't heat the water so no special advantages or are there?.
C) I've been offered a 2nd hand Leisure range with gas hob and electric ovens - huge and it's only for me.
D) a friend doing the same research says they bought a Bosch freestanding electric cooker. Possibly induction.
E) I haven't enough power for an electric cooker so will have to have new wiring.
It is a minefield once you start looking.
Help please!
Meanwhile I have been managing for months with one electric ring, a microwave and a kettle but winter is approaching and the kitchen is cold.
If there is just you I would advise don't bother with an oven. Anything you need to cook can be done in a microwave or air fryer!
5 year old thread.
Hope the OP is not without a cooker after all this time.
After 25 years of having to move house, I sill mourn the loss of my four oven dark green Aga! It is pathetic!
For 20 years we had a bog standard (mains) gas hob/electric oven cooker and a large Westinghouse oven.
Here, I repeated the cooker exercise but with Calor for the hob and we inherited a Rayburn. Fiesta vs Bentley! As well as the brace of hobs and ovens, it also houses the boiler. The racket which the latter makes means radios cannot be heard, conversation stops and the telephone certainly cannot be used! Yes, it kept the kitchen warm but it is hideously expensive to run (oil). Bought an oil filled radiator for the kitchen and will get electric blankets and throws for everywhere else! Oh, and an air fryer is a godsend - look out for the bargains - mine does pressure cooking, slow cooking, roasting, steaming & will probably dry your socks if you ask it!! Ninja - under £100.
Oh, GN is a dangerous place. I have long had a yen for an Everhot, and now you've tempted me with the second hand option.
REPORTED as it’s an advert for an American product.
I thought I preferred using a gas hob - until I got an induction one, it's brilliant and so easy to keep clean.
I'm also in love with my Ninja and use it most days. The electric cooker only goes on for batch cooking and the bills are low.
It sounds like you need some decent room heating in there, like underfloor or wall panel heaters.
I’ve got a dual fuel rangemaster 90 - been brilliant for 15 years . Mostly use the small fan oven though. Gas hob is fiddly to clean so I’d like ceramic or induction next time but just read that induction is not good for pacemakers ! I don’t have one but my mum did and I just assume I will ! I’m only 66 though so maybe a way to go ....’
It must be hard getting rid of an Aga or Rayburn - especially in Scotland !
Gas is not being phased out - gas boilers are but gas will be around for as long as any of us are. No one is going to turn it off within the next 30 years ! Electric is greener from renewable but get what you want right now . Good luck .
He, the electrician, came yesterday but is still working on the wiring in another part of the house. It was 9 o' clock at night and he just grunted when I reminded him about the kitchen wiring.
But you are right sHe who shouts the loudest and all.
Don’t wait for the electrician to contact you, Grammaretto. If it’s been months, you have dropped off his radar, he’s probably forgotten. Give him a call today and set the ball rolling.
Thanks again.
Springychicken You speak a lot of sense. I will ask the electrician if I ever see him again.
I have an big Aga, electric ovens and LPG hob. I have just purchased a Ninja 9 in 1 Foodie, mainly to use in our caravan as it can sit on a table in the awning. Still getting used to it but it is brilliant, this might suit you as you are on your own. I have the 6 litre one, only two of us most of the time but big enough for four if needed.
GrannySomerset I am really beginning to miss it now for drying the clothes on the pulley above it overnight but I fear the cons outweigh the pros. It has been the heart of the kitchen for 45 years and heated the water. We hatched eggs in the bottom oven once!
The Gas engineer/plumber and the electrician (who know eachother) are supposed to be advising me but it has been months.
They could fit a conversion kit for c£2k so wouldn't have to move the old Rayburn just remove the water pipes.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192896018960
It would be expensive to run and if I decide to move in the next couple of years it does seem merely sentimental ....or does it?
I hardly ever turned it off as Scottish summers can be cool 
Keep your solutions coming. I am enjoying reading about all the alternatives.
The friend with the new electric cooker says it costs £28 per annum to run whereas their oil AGA was costing £100 per month.
Perhaps you should ask an electrician to quote you for upgrading the electric feed, then you’d know how things stand. At the moment, you are only guessing at costs.
There must have been a reason for disposing of the Leisure range - is it reliable or iffy?
An induction hob does not give out heat like other hobs, it will not warm your kitchen. I can touch the glass on my induction hob, right next to a boiling pan, and the glass is cold. My kitchen doesn’t become hot like it did when we had a gas hob.
In your shoes, I’d research new ovens and hobs and a kitchen heater.
Seven I years down the line I still miss the Aga in our last house (since removed by the new owners). Admitted we had to have a gas hob and an electric oven for the summer, when the south facing kitchen became too hot, but the house always felt that is had a heart; guests always gravitated to it, the cats slept with their beds up against it, and nothing cooks better.
I’ve got an Everhot, it was expensive, but as I live in the country and it’s cold and windy here, it was the best investment ever, I love it. It’s not expensive to run as it has an eco option, and mine has an induction hob built in so I switch off the main stove if I’m not cooking in the oven over the summer. They do keep their value too, so if you can afford it I would go for it - the factory offer reconditioned second hand ones sometimes too, and if you buy a second hand one from elsewhere they have excellent customer service and will bring it up to scratch.
H goodness I didn’t realise how much the Everhot stoves were -sorry?
Don’t forget that if you go for option E and have new wiring they will check the whole house and if it isn’t up to code you might have to have more than just part of the house rewired.
About 5 years ago my DD bought a Stove range, it cost a fortune but bit kept falling off and she's just had one of the ovens repaired - she'd just had her first baby and couldn't be bothered chasing up about it and wouldn't let me write to the company. Basically I'm saying don't buy a Stove
My DD has your option C .....it’s wonderful and I am well jel!
We've just bought a Bosch single oven and it seems fine. It's got lots of different types of cooking such as fan, traditional, pizza, gentle hot air etc. I'll probably only use the fan though! Only used it once so far for cooking salmon which came out perfectly.
Woah! The prices are eyewatering Maw
Thanks very much for all your input.
Interesting but no consensus 
I have heard of Everhot and people say they are excellent.
The Leisure range wouldn't be free but the electrician took it out of a client's house and has it in his garage so it is available and might be the answer.
I think we'll still have gas in 10 yrs time but the price may go up.
One of my DC says "Mum, I know how you feel about the Rayburn, it's an old friend"
another DC says "Oh for goodness sake, get an electric cooker and a heater in the kitchen to keep it warm"
As long as you have the £9k or so you would need if planning on buying a new one!
We had an Everhot in a holiday cottage ( weather not great!) this year and I fell in love with it.The hot plates cooked quickly and evenly and we put a casserole in the slow oven which cooked all day and was delicious. In addition the kitchen was warm and we managed to dry out our wet outdoor clothes overnight on the airer above it! If you have a large kitchen I would go for it!
We run our cooker off bottled gas, it is just a minor conversion from mains gas. Can you go this route? Bought a new bottle this week and it hasn’t gone up in 2 years!
I think I’d go for an Air Fryer.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.