Gransnet forums

Health

Getting in the bath

(52 Posts)
susytish Thu 01-Oct-26 13:18:18

I have had a knee and both hip replacements. 6 weeks ago hysterectomy!
I would love to have a long bath but cant get in. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do?

Sheils64 Tue 06-Oct-26 00:36:54

My 91 year old mother uses a motorised bathing cushion. It’s very easy to use. You sit on it and use a hand held controller to deflate it, lowering your self into the water. Then you inflate it again when you want to get out. Cost around £400

Northerntownlass Mon 05-Oct-26 21:28:22

This is what I have started to do, I have some mini hand weights I try to use them 4/5 times a week. I can get out of our bath fine, but if on holiday use the technique you do incase I slip coming out 🫣

Delene100 Mon 05-Oct-26 20:25:58

I changed my bath to a shower. Having had two total knee replacements, I couldn't turn round on metal to get out the bath. A shower is so much more convenient now. However, I do miss soaking in the bath.

win Mon 05-Oct-26 19:46:52

tanith

There are gadgets that lower into a bath but how successful they are I dont know.

Yes you can get a complete support Cushion type seat that gets pumped up and then lowered in to the bath, I had one for my partner. However we found he got really cold when we emptied the bath and he had to wait for the cushion to raise to the top of the bath before he could get out. He only used it a couple of times before we sold it on. There is also a hard seat, where you get lowered in to the bath and reverse, but I would think the issue would be the same. Have you thought of a walk in bath, would that be the answer to your problem. I love my bath and would hate to have to do without one.

Ray82 Mon 05-Oct-26 18:01:25

Have a look at Care co.They do bath lift which I have and is very good paid about £200. Catalogue well worth a look .Still a job getting the old knees over edge of bath

Bazza Mon 05-Oct-26 17:51:21

Do any of you notice how it’s always women in the adverts? Men obviously never use them!

JenniRen Mon 05-Oct-26 17:23:27

CarrotTop

Basgetti

Bath with door opening? (though I would be a bit concerned about leaks).

Me too. I'd also dislike having to stay shut inside the bath until the water has drained away. Standing there soaking wet, hoping the bath towel doesn't dip into the water? It doesn't appeal much, whichever way you look at it!

No, it looks simple in the adverts, but doesn't seem to relate to real life. Nor did I tend to have a bath in my swimsuit.

Babamaman Mon 05-Oct-26 16:50:43

Try the age concern organisation they might know where you can buy locally a bath chair to sit in your bath, you’ll need a chair outside so you can slide across from one to another? Not sure if I’m explaining properly. Or from the usual culprits Temu, Amazon etc! Good luck and be careful, make sure there is an anti slip mat in the bath👍

Silvertwigs Mon 05-Oct-26 15:53:24

Lovetopaint037 And me, for that reason the bath went to the tip! 😂

CarrotTop Mon 05-Oct-26 15:42:03

Basgetti

Bath with door opening? (though I would be a bit concerned about leaks).

Me too. I'd also dislike having to stay shut inside the bath until the water has drained away. Standing there soaking wet, hoping the bath towel doesn't dip into the water? It doesn't appeal much, whichever way you look at it!

semperfidelis Mon 05-Oct-26 15:26:29

If you live alone and are beginning to struggle getting out of the bath, make sure you keep your mobile phone on an accessible chair/stool so that you can call for help if the worst happens!

sweetpeaagain Mon 05-Oct-26 15:03:22

So true. I used to love a hot bath but cannot get out of it so just shower now but I still miss it. I am 81!

Bazza Mon 05-Oct-26 14:57:37

I’ve always preferred a shower thankfully, but after hearing about my friend’s elderly mother who couldn’t get out of her bath even with said friend’s assistance and had to call the fire service I wouldn’t ever risk it!

4allweknow Mon 05-Oct-26 14:52:00

Why not contact Occupational Health/Social Work in your area. They may be able to supply equipment or at least advise on anything suitable for you to use.

knspol Mon 05-Oct-26 14:38:49

Used to love a long soak in the bath but now live alone and with a dodgy knee so don't feel safe trying to get in and out of bath with no DH available to help if needed. Just showers for me now but could be worse.

Shill29 Mon 05-Oct-26 14:28:44

I have memories of my aunt getting stuck in bath and unable to get out. Her live in son couldn’t manage to get her out, she was a large lady….The fire brigade had to come to the rescue…..🤦🏼

cc Mon 05-Oct-26 14:25:15

I started going to the gym a year ago and have much stronger legs and arms now, so I can get in and out without too much trouble. Before that I thought I'd have to give up having baths as I was having such trouble getting in and out.

Tee1 Mon 05-Oct-26 13:57:42

I have both knees and hips replaced. I find Mangar
Bath Cushion is great (video on UTube). It raises and lowers you into bath. Can be removed and deflated so I have taken it on holiday. Not cheap but I couldn’t bath without it. I would suggest buying from a reliable mobility store rather than Amazon.

FranP Mon 05-Oct-26 13:53:01

In the short term find a wellness centre/ spa and use their walk in spa bath.

I would not recommend the door baths. My mother had a tall one with a seat, but once you have a couple of inches of water, you have to be in with the door closed, so you can get quite cold waiting for it to fill and empty. She said the seat was not that comfortable either.

Shinamae Sun 04-Oct-26 15:18:03

According to this thread I’m obviously in the minority, I can’t remember the last time I had a bath, certainly many years ago
I love to shower…..😁

Overthemoongran Sun 04-Oct-26 15:13:16

My double knee replacements are now over ten years old, I have no problem getting in or out of the bath, I lower myself in and then turn onto all fours - the support of the water means I’m not actually kneeling - and can then get up to standing and climb out. I’d hate to not be able to have a bath, but I do mainly shower.

susytish Sun 04-Oct-26 14:56:43

Thank you everyone. Much food for thought. I think I need some kind of seat to hang onto to lower myself down and push myself up.

JenniRen Sun 04-Oct-26 14:42:59

David49

My wife loved a bath but we tried a couple of lifts to no avail and converted to a wet room and Plastic garden chair a fold down seat is used by others

A proper stool or chair might be safer, David49 as a plastic garden chair might slip or go over.
I have a sturdy shower stool with handles either side, ordered online.

Charleygirl5 Sun 04-Oct-26 14:38:37

I have had two knees replaced. Some people can kneel normally many months later, I never could so the twice I have fallen I had mega problems getting up. I crawled to the stairs and heaved myself up with difficulty. I would love a soak in a bath, which I haven't had for many years.

David49 Sat 03-Oct-26 17:32:52

My wife loved a bath but we tried a couple of lifts to no avail and converted to a wet room and Plastic garden chair a fold down seat is used by others