Gransnet forums

Health

Flu jab; latex allegy

(8 Posts)
CarrotTop Fri 02-Oct-26 16:11:15

Graphite - That's very interesting and might explain why I sometimes get a reaction to jabs but sometimes don't. Thanks for that, we learn something new every day. smile

Calendargirl Fri 02-Oct-26 16:08:10

Had my flu jab yesterday, just asked if I felt well, and was I allergic to eggs?

And did I usually feel ok after flu jab?

No mention of latex allergies.

Fartooold Fri 02-Oct-26 16:05:21

Had both today and was not asked about any allergies just asked was I well.

Whiff Wed 30-Sept-26 05:51:16

MayBee having my free flu jab Friday and then Friday next week having my covid jab which I pay for.

If anyone has an egg allergy or due to health problems can't have egg. Be aware tablets and vaccines contain egg albumen. Always check if starting new medication. You can get same medication without egg albumen . But it has to be specially ordered.

Friend of mine has Graves disease can't have gluten or egg. Got shingles and quickly got the anti virals and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks. Took months to feel back to her usual self.

I had shingles and got the antivirals within 24 hours and they worked on me. So research why they landed her in hospital thats when I found out about the egg albumen . Its used as a binding agent in powder form as its cheap.

MayBee70 Sat 26-Sept-26 00:11:46

It’ll be interesting to see if they mention it to my partner when he has his jab next week. I’m not having mine till the week after.

Graphite Fri 25-Sept-26 22:22:07

I found this:

Some pre-filled syringes may contain latex proteins in the tip cap and/or rubber plunger of the syringe. Similarly, the stoppers of some vaccines supplied in vials may contain latex proteins. It is theoretically possible that latex protein from these tip caps, plungers or vial stoppers may cause allergic reactions when the vaccines are administered to latex-sensitive individuals. There is little evidence that such a risk exists and any such risk would be extremely small. if an individual has a history of severe (i.e. anaphylactic) allergy to latex, vaccines supplied in vials or syringes that contain latex should not be administered, unless the benefit of vaccination outweighs the risk of an allergic reaction to the vaccine.

SueDonim Fri 25-Sept-26 22:03:52

It might be because of the plaster they sometimes put on afterwards, or possibly the gloves the nurse wears.

MayBee70 Fri 25-Sept-26 20:59:44

Has anyone had a flu jab recently and been asked if they have a latex allergy? My partner is having the jab next week and has a mild latex allergy ( he has a wristband that makes his skin red and blotchy). Someone on instagram says she was asked if she had the allergy .