Gransnet forums

Health

Rybelsus for Diabetes

(7 Posts)
Kizzy1972 Sat 19-Sept-26 18:31:20

Yes I did lose a few pounds upon starting the Dapagliflozin. This new drug is protective of the heart too which was another plus.

Plevey08 Sat 19-Sept-26 17:40:51

From what I hear most drugs for Diabetes, Metformin etc has a mild weight loss effect. As argymargy says the ingredients are the same as Ozempic. However Rybelsus is given primarily for Diabetes and may have some mild weight loss effects. Not needed in your case but your GP will have weighed up the benefits and possible side effects, as they with all drugs. So that's why he/she didn't mention weight loss as his focus is the diabetes.

Kizzy1972 Sat 19-Sept-26 07:22:50

Thank you both. I don't have much weight to lose. Weight loss wasn't mentioned at my appointment but am really hoping to get my bloods back in to my target zone. Hopefully I can manage on the lowest dose and I'm very pleased that it's in tablet form. I have read up more on tips to lessen the chance of side effects and there are some steps I can take. I have good support from my nurse and will see how things go once I begin next week.

argymargy Sat 19-Sept-26 06:56:04

Rybelsus is a tablet version of the injection Ozempic. If you follow the advice on how to take it, and report any side effects to your healthcare professionals, you should be fine. Good luck!

Plevey08 Fri 18-Sept-26 20:08:45

I'm thinking I've heard of it as a mild to moderate drug for weight loss, which helps control diabetes. Your GP would have weighed up the possible side effects. And as you say Kizzy everyone may react differently to a drug or have none or mild side effects.Good luck with trying it as it may really help.

Kizzy1972 Fri 18-Sept-26 18:39:52

I forgot my "thankyou" blush

Kizzy1972 Fri 18-Sept-26 17:45:47

I've just been prescribed this as a second drug in the hope that it will bring my blood sugar level down.
Has anyone here had success with it? I'm worried about the common side effects of nausea and bowel troubles but surely not everyone has trouble.
I'm hoping to hear some success stories.