Gransnet forums

Health

Compression socks

(12 Posts)
Elless Wed 16-Sept-26 10:20:08

Thank you for the information. He tried the 'turning inside out' method this morning but couldn't manage. Ironically He tried something I suggested years ago - simply put talcum powder on his feet first - and they were much easier to get on.

Aveline Wed 16-Sept-26 10:15:43

On the subject of socks, I recently bought a pack of 'relaxed fit' socks. I thought they'd be annoying and would fall down -but they dont!They're great. So comfortable.
I found that my short black socks that I wear in winter seemed to have shrunk. My ankles are not swollen. Those socks had been cheap. I supect long washes and tumble dries had shrunk them.

Aveline Wed 16-Sept-26 06:04:09

This summer I bought a pair of varied compression socks for a long haul flight. They were great and worked very well. They fit my leg more precisely than the uniform pressure ones and are much easier to pull on.

Madmeg Tue 15-Sept-26 23:53:16

I have no chance of getting my DH's socks on even with the use of any gadget at all. His legs are very swollen and he cannot bend his ankles to use any of the various gadgets (I have them all!).

So he lives with grossly swollen feet and calves. Shoes are a no-go too, so the best we can do is orthopaedic slippers. Some days even those won't fit so he wears nothing and slips on non-carpeted floors. No-one listens to me.

pably15 Tue 15-Sept-26 18:58:30

the socks in that video don't look very tight, I wear them because of leg ulcers,and I would never get them on that way
I use a gadget called a Medi Butler,,,you pull the stocking over it and slip your foot in,I tried to send a picture, but I don't know how.

ferry23 Tue 15-Sept-26 18:07:32

ferry23

I use the one that's like three big prongs with straps on the side to pull the sock up. This is for compression. I'll try and find a link. I have arthritis in my fingers and this is the one that works best for me. Some days though I just can't pull the stockings up so I wear my comfiwave night time ones, they're far more forgiving

here's the link

www.amazon.co.uk/Disabled-Compression-Stocking-Applicator-Assistance/dp/B0F87X5NRJ/ref=asc_df_B0F87X5NRJ?mcid=3072121c4e933f438ded&tag=gransnetforum-21

ginny Tue 15-Sept-26 18:01:11

shysal

Does he use this easy way? I had no problem at all putting on the compression socks this way. I found my gadget difficult although it is ok for normal socks.

www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=easy%20way%20to%20put%20on%20compression%20socks%20youtube&mid=41A91E2E8A16212A3A0741A91E2E8A16212A3A07&ajaxhist=

I use this method. It’s easy as long as you can bend. Easy for someone to do for you.

ferry23 Tue 15-Sept-26 16:48:25

I use the one that's like three big prongs with straps on the side to pull the sock up. This is for compression. I'll try and find a link. I have arthritis in my fingers and this is the one that works best for me. Some days though I just can't pull the stockings up so I wear my comfiwave night time ones, they're far more forgiving

Elless Tue 15-Sept-26 16:02:47

I'll show him the video but his socks are much tighter. Thanks

glasses Tue 15-Sept-26 14:20:14

Thanks for the link, I'm going to try that!
There's another idea which uses a rolled up handtowel as a tube but it didn't work for me.

shysal Tue 15-Sept-26 13:23:50

Does he use this easy way? I had no problem at all putting on the compression socks this way. I found my gadget difficult although it is ok for normal socks.

www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=easy%20way%20to%20put%20on%20compression%20socks%20youtube&mid=41A91E2E8A16212A3A0741A91E2E8A16212A3A07&ajaxhist=0

Elless Tue 15-Sept-26 10:29:56

My Husband has to wear these and gets them prescribed. I used to help him putting them on but my fingers are so weak now so it is a struggle.
Has anyone who uses them tried those sock gadgets? I know the normal ones won't help because there is hardly any stretch in them.