Gransnet forums

Health

Cysts in liver and kidneys.

(10 Posts)
teabagwoman Tue 15-Sept-26 08:57:44

I now have an appointment with the urologist at the end of the month. Will take my list of questions and see what he says.

Usedtobeblonde Tue 15-Sept-26 08:46:20

I had a scan on my liver several years ago but was told the abnormality found was normal for me however a cyst was discovered on one kidney which I was told should never bother me.
So far it hasn’t.

Astitchintime Tue 15-Sept-26 07:43:35

Apparently I have cysts on a kidney, recently discovered by alternative investigations. Have a GP phone call booked in to discuss this. Naturally, I’ve no idea how long they’ve been in situ and what the prognosis could potentially be. I’m writing a list of questions in preparation for the chat with the GP, it’s my body and my responsibility.

fiorentina51 Tue 15-Sept-26 07:31:28

Polcystic kidney disease runs in my family. My grandmother, mother and aunt all had it.
They had to watch their diet and were monitored. All of them were diagnosed in their 50s.

My mother died aged 72,from multiple organ failure due to chronic kidney disease. My grandmother lived a full and active life and died aged 86. My aunt was a few months short of her 90th birthday when she died. Cause of death was not connected with her kidney disease.

teabagwoman Mon 14-Sept-26 16:26:29

Sukie it is easier said than done but your post is very reassuring.

sukie Mon 14-Sept-26 14:32:52

More than 30 years ago during scans for something else, benign cysts were found on my liver. It concerned me of course and I remember well the doctor telling me that if he took 100 random people off the street and scanned them, 20 would have cysts. That gave me some comfort at the time. Since then, they have occasionally been identified incidentally in various scan reports. I understand that if changes were noted, they'd investigate further. It's good yours have been identified so you now have a baseline and the medics are keeping an eye on them for changes. Try not to worry. Easier said than done, I know. flowers

kittylester Mon 14-Sept-26 13:55:49

I had a cyst on one of my kidneys but had no symptoms. It was found when I had a scan for something else. Very fortuitous! I was monitored regularly for 3 years when it was noticed to have grown. I was warned this could happen and, if it did, the kidney would need to be removed.

I had the kidney removed about 4 months later. Tests showed that it was a cancerous growth but had not spread. No more treatment but monitoring for 5 years.

silverlining48 Mon 14-Sept-26 11:56:14

Oh and have not had any problems, though do suffer with chronic diorhhoea which may or may not be connected.

silverlining48 Mon 14-Sept-26 11:54:18

I have a reasonable size cyst on my liver found while having a scan for something else 7 years ago. I mention it occasionally but no further investigation and no one is keeping an eye on it.

teabagwoman Mon 14-Sept-26 11:08:46

Has anybody else had benign cysts in their liver or kidneys? Apparently I have to be kept an eye on by the medics so am interested to know if other people have had problems with them.