Gransnet forums

Health

Humidifier

(5 Posts)
idamaryrose Tue 22-Jul-25 19:55:09

Hello, does anyone have any experience or advice about using a humidifier to help with a problem of dry eyes and a very dry mouth at night?

Mt61 Tue 22-Jul-25 20:44:31

Would your dentist prescribe mouth pastels for dry mouth. To be honest they never did much for me.
Try sugar free mints. I just take a bottle of water, one of those that keeps it cool.
Also try the little bowl of water next to your bed.
Mornings I take a couple of cotton wool pads, soak in hot water & press against my eyelids, this releases blocked up oil ducts around the lids.
Eye ointment to put in the eyes is also soothing.
Trouble with humidifiers, they can cause damp in corners.

Smg1950 Thu 13-Aug-26 07:02:21

Any one a humidifier for dry eyes ?I use drops etc but due too v hot weather feel humidifier would help

IWasFirstClarinet Fri 14-Aug-26 19:20:46

I bought and used a humidifier some years ago and gave it up after about six months. I could not see that it made any difference in my case. Maybe one would help for you?

NotSpaghetti Sat 15-Aug-26 08:05:08

Just looked this up and the help with eyes is quite well documented but the mouth thing is less likely to help. A bedroom humidifier reduces evaporation caused by dry indoor air, but its success depends on why your eyes and mouth are drying out while you sleep, apparently.

Are you taking drugs causing this?
Are you sleeping with your mouth open?
Maybe explore reasons behind this first.