Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

The disadvantages of Looking Young? Or not?

(7 Posts)
AuntClarasDoorknobs Tue 22-Sept-26 08:21:12

Most of us are happy to look younger than our age (unless you are trying to blag half fare on the bus). However it has its drawbacks, my late MIL got fed up of people being ‘less than helpful’ to this woman who was blonde, slim and well dressed. She let her hair go naturally white/grey, dressed down when it suited her, and found people to be more accommodating.
My DH, looks about 50, he’s well built, but is 75 and has cancer. We just had a delivery of a new bathroom, tiles, fittings, sink shower, etc. We asked them to put it in the garage, some three feet away. But they have left it all on the drive, in the open, telling him ‘you’re a big lad you can do it’. I’m speechless, I should have answered the door (I look about 105 without three coffees, and the assistance of Max Factor). Fortunately our lovely plumber has turned up and is helping to move everything.
How do things go for you? Do you look older, and get more kindness, or look younger and get less?

NotSpaghetti Tue 22-Sept-26 08:26:25

I would maybe speak to the company and remind them that not everyone is as fit as they look.

My husband had ME for years and whilst he was OK some days I did try to get to the door first for deliveries and these days I'm the one who takes stuff to charity shops or the tip.

Cossy Tue 22-Sept-26 08:32:01

This made me smile, but also quite annoyed.

How dare the delivery men leave those things in your drive, then make a patronising glib remark to your husband.

You paid and requested specific delivery instructions. Very rude!

Also I looked “younger than my years” for a long time.

It was very annoying, all through my 20’s I looked younger than my age, to the point I’d be questioned buying a drink in bars and going to 18 films in the cinema.

My 29 year old teacher daughter, forever has parents asking to see the teacher “who looks 14”, clearly cannot remember to learn her name!

I was happy to look younger in my 40’s, but it all very rapidly caught up with me.

DH always looked a bit younger than his age, but illness takes it toll.

Now at 70 and almost 68 we both look and feel 105, except first thing in the morning when we look 108 😂🤣😂🤣

M0nica Tue 22-Sept-26 08:57:37

I hate the phrase 'look young for your age/years'. We don't, it is just that the older we get the more varied how we look.

Newborn babies essentially all look their age, but even by 5 some children still look very young, while others look more mature and so it goes throughout life some people show signs of age very quickly and the extent of the variation widens as well.

I met DH's best friend when he was 21. He was already going grey, substantially, not just a few grey hairs. At 50, his hair was white and thinning and he had that delicate pink and white skin that some extremely elderly frail men have, yet he was a serving army officer. He looked old enough to be DH's father.

I prefer a phrase like 'aging well' or 'looking good for my age'

David49 Tue 22-Sept-26 09:16:25

Looking young is not the real issue male or female, looking your best is what counts, for me most important is the smile

Elusivebutterfly Tue 22-Sept-26 09:25:42

I am the same as Cossy. All through my 20s I got queried in bars and cinemas, and was offered child's fare on buses.
When I was married, I went to a butcher who asked if that was what Mummy had asked me to get, when I gave my order!
That girlish look disappeared in middle age.

Samsara1 Tue 22-Sept-26 09:41:04

It struck me that this is a bout customer care and service for items or services bought. I would expect a delivery of heavy items not to be just dumped on the drive. I would photograph it and send it to the MD of the company and ask if this is the standard he wants you to do an on line review of his company for,