Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Non spiky Politics

(129 Posts)
fancythat Mon 21-Sept-26 10:51:31

Please read the Gransnet Cafe rules before replying.

This is a thread for people to post freely about Politics, without judgement from other people.

I dont care if you are left leaning, right leaning, yellow or green or whatever colour.

Post whatever is on your mind. With no judgements.

About a political subject that is current, old or new.
So an ongoing thread, if people want to use it.

nanna8 Mon 21-Sept-26 13:05:57

What I like to see is politicians from different parties being friendly and polite to each other. It was actually good to see Keir Starmer and Kemi Badenoch walking together and chatting amiably. Makes you wonder how much of the stuff in Parliament is actually play acting and the ‘real ‘ differences are a whole heap less than we are led to believe. Performance politics ?

Rosie51 Mon 21-Sept-26 12:55:28

That's just one example, a friend was telling us about the mobility scheme and how pretty expensive cars are available to those on it hmm when did that become a thing?

TerriBull my grandson, well his parents, get a mobility car because of his disabilities. To qualify you have to have a higher rate mobility award as part of your PIP or other payment. You sacrifice the whole of this element to pay the lease charge to Motability. Some cars come with no additional payment others you have to pay what can be a hefty advance payment depending on your choice. It really isn't the free for all some people think. Our family would much rather he didn't qualify and could lead a normal life.

fancythat Mon 21-Sept-26 12:42:05

Forgive me, but in telling people they cannot argue you are thread policing … which is against talk guidelines.

It is the GN guidelines of the Gransnet cafe, given by GN.
Written at the start. By GN.
This thread is purposely in the Gransnet cafe.

The Gransnet cafe is a non judgemental and non argumentative place, it says.

Graphite Mon 21-Sept-26 12:36:51

I don’t understand the purpose of this thread. No arguments? What do you mean?

An argument is (I’m quoting OED here) an assertion or fact put forward in order to persuade or sway others.

Politics is all about argument. It’s why we have political parties which stand for different things. The Houses of Parliament are where people from opposing parties come together precisely to argue. MPs and peers make speeches containing arguments to try to persuade others.

Are you just wanting people to say, I think this. or I think that. without anybody having a right of reply?

Forgive me, but in telling people they cannot argue you are thread policing … which is against talk guidelines.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 21-Sept-26 12:34:43

I would just be happy for more non spiky threads on any subject.

I am censoring myself on GN and avoiding argumentative content.

Oreo Mon 21-Sept-26 12:28:36

My bee in the bonnet right now is how awful so many of our High Streets have become with vape shops ,Turkish barbers, nail bars and small unregulated shops that sell cigarettes laced with sawdust and rat droppings for cheap prices or drugs if you want them.Manned by, quite often, asylum seekers who also work for Deliveroo and similar. These streets are oh so depressing to walk down and they seem to be ( almost) everywhere.The only answer is for constant raids on them.

M0nica Mon 21-Sept-26 12:21:34

Terribull Seaking as someone whose son and grandson, as well as myself have ADHD, I am in complete agreement with you. ADHD except in the most exceptional cases.

I think it would help those with it to have some counselling to learn how to manage it. DS and I have had to work it out for ourselves. i do think, as a child, I would have benefitted from having the condition explained so that I understood my own behaviour better and also techniques for mitigating it. As time has gone by, I have become adept at recognising when it is taking me over and have developed techniques to deal with it. They are not always successful, but they do help.

Oreo Mon 21-Sept-26 12:21:30

Glad you didn’t marry him BlueBelle 😲
Yes, cheaters and spongers have been around forever.

fancythat Mon 21-Sept-26 12:17:37

This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door.

Even about Politics.
Non-judgemental and no arguments.

BlueBelle Mon 21-Sept-26 12:17:00

I once went out with a guy who I found out was claiming all sorts of benefits including a car because of his bad back (the car got changed for a better one every year or two) He had nothing wrong with him and I found out he carried a stick in his boot for when he was called in to the benefits office.
Of course I didn’t continue going out with him but this was about 35/40 years ago so it’s been going on a LONG LONG time Terribull

paddyann54 Mon 21-Sept-26 12:04:56

Terribull ,I believe notability users pay a deposit for their car..the more expensive then the bigger the deposit…and they use their benefits to pay the payments.
Of course they could just keep the cash and use it for taxi,s but that often isn,t practical.
It’s NOT a free car

Casdon Mon 21-Sept-26 12:04:32

Politics is spiky fancythat. There’s no getting away from that fact.

TerriBull Mon 21-Sept-26 11:55:01

I think "some" of the benefits are unsustainable and frankly quite nonsensical. Conditions such as ADHD used as an excuse for not working and drawing benefits, ridiculous. Pretty sure one of my sons has it, he's always worked, he wouldn't want in any other way. I think it can be managed and those who have it need to be encouraged not to use it as an excuse. That's just one example, a friend was telling us about the mobility scheme and how pretty expensive cars are available to those on it hmm when did that become a thing? Also in his Lib Dem controlled town, putting in an incredibly wide cycle lane, hardly used, so they in their wisdom got rid of it. Just acres and acres of wasted money in so many areas.

Meanwhile we all know we need to build up our very run down defense budget, yes I know that all started during David Cameron's tenure. It should be upped and some of the benefit budget needs to come under scrutiny. Way too much waste.

Don't get me started on Rachel Reeves' lack of financial acumen that has been ruinous for business. Unfortunately Rishi Sunak inherited a poison chalice too late but I'd wager he'd have made more savvy decisions around growing the economy than RR,

Cossy Mon 21-Sept-26 11:52:15

Oreo

Well it’s a good idea fancythat so we will see how it goes.
My worry about politics is… can Andy Burnham really deliver both optimism ( doing ok so far) and policies that help the economy grow? He is more personable than KS and can talk the talk but no signs so far, and I admit it’s early days, of any radical policies both for the economy and social issues or defence spending.I fear we may just get more tinkering round the edges.It’s important ( to me) as I want to see Labour get five more years and this country of ours improving rather than sinking into the mire.

I have to agree.

Big hopes pinned on him, I truly hope he can deliver as I think his “plans” could transform and improve many people’s lives.

Of course, it won’t suit all and not everyone will support him. thanks

Oreo Mon 21-Sept-26 11:39:28

Well it’s a good idea fancythat so we will see how it goes.
My worry about politics is… can Andy Burnham really deliver both optimism ( doing ok so far) and policies that help the economy grow? He is more personable than KS and can talk the talk but no signs so far, and I admit it’s early days, of any radical policies both for the economy and social issues or defence spending.I fear we may just get more tinkering round the edges.It’s important ( to me) as I want to see Labour get five more years and this country of ours improving rather than sinking into the mire.

fancythat Mon 21-Sept-26 11:27:43

^That’s as balanced a view as I can manage.

Hope it helps.^

Thanks.

Cossy Mon 21-Sept-26 11:27:30

TerriBull

I admire your optimism fancythat, I think the politics thread may start off in fairly calm waters but gradually the spikes develop to such an extent Vlad the Impaler would have found a good use for them shock

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

But we can try really hard not to be Vlad.

fancythat Mon 21-Sept-26 11:26:58

That was to TerriBull.

fancythat Mon 21-Sept-26 11:26:32

I deliberately posted this in the Gransnet cafe, so am hoping things get kept within the Gransnet Cafe rules - a non-judgemental space and no arguments allowed.

Cossy Mon 21-Sept-26 11:26:16

So, ICE…

AI

“ U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is a federal law enforcement agency operating under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Established in March 2003 under the Homeland Security Act of 2002, ICE was formed following the September 11 attacks by merging the investigative and interior enforcement elements of the former U.S. Customs Service and the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).”

In theory, a good idea.

In practice, not quite so.

Some of those employed, and armed with guns, received what some might consider inadequate training in their new roles and weaponry, in both quality and quantity of time.

Sadly, there have been shootings of non-migrant USA citizens, by ICE (at least two separate incidents) and they are perceived by many USA citizens as overly aggressive and given too much freedom by Trump.

That’s as balanced a view as I can manage.

Hope it helps.

TerriBull Mon 21-Sept-26 11:20:08

I admire your optimism fancythat, I think the politics thread may start off in fairly calm waters but gradually the spikes develop to such an extent Vlad the Impaler would have found a good use for them shock

Cossy Mon 21-Sept-26 11:19:52

Everyone should and can post their true feelings (within the rules), but they also need to expect others to disagree or even ask them “why” they have their views.

This can lead to quite passionate and volatile responses.

I know lots here disagree with my steely held views and that’s perfectly ok. So long as it’s my views being discussed and not me (& I apply this to everyone one else too).

fancythat Mon 21-Sept-26 11:11:32

There is also a poster on one of the threads today, not even sure it is a news and politics one, who is afraid to say what she really thinks about politics, or a policy, I forget quite what, for fear of judgement.

I dont agree with politics being taboo in some way. Anywhere.
[As long as no one posts against GN rules and the rules of the Gransnet Cafe.]

fancythat Mon 21-Sept-26 11:08:32

This is partly why I have started the non judgemental politics thread.
I doubt I am the only voter who knows next to nothing about ICE.
And maybe other things too.

And not the only voter who is time limited.

fancythat Mon 21-Sept-26 11:06:52

I have heard of them.
Think they are American.
Possibly something to do with immigration.
I think that is literally all I personally know.