I was happy when we were told to change to peat free compost as I know the benefit of peat bogs and beds not being destroyed. I had already switched to a low peat mix. The compost last year was pretty much unusable. Barely composted at all and more like a bonfire mix of twigs, grass and other half identifiable detritus (plus the odd stone and bit of plastic). I left most of it available to the Leopard slugs to continue composting over winter but I have had real problems getting seeds to germinate this year, with both old and new compost. Not a single sweet corn seed succesfully germinated and grew, most rotting. Same with peas. Not even pansies have come through, likewise the Curly Kale. I have experimented with adding vermiculite or pearlite to vary the drainage properties and tried multiple sowings. The compost is either bone dry or claggy - or crusty on top and soggy underneath.
I was at RHS Wisley on Saturday and staff there told me they have the same problems, so it's not just me. Any ideas for next year's attempts?
Find the cheapest petrol in your area
