Gransnet forums

Games

Another silly little ABC game - shops we have loved and lost?

(83 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Thu 25-Aug-22 13:20:22

I’ll start

Arding & Hobbs

NotAGran55 Mon 21-Sept-26 20:38:05

Ely’s is one of a chain of department stores. There’s one of the same chain in my local market town.

MawsRosie Mon 21-Sept-26 20:13:48

Ely’s of Wimbledon.
Actually I’ve just googled and I think they’re still there!
Can anybody in SW London confirm?

JamesandJon33 Mon 21-Sept-26 19:49:35

I think I might give upon this .Why are we even discussing The next one is E !!!!

Rocketstop2 Mon 21-Sept-26 19:30:01

Ro60

Sorry time lapse ? X? There Must be one!

yes there is ..there was X clothes..sold punk and alternative clothing, Bondage trousers etc !!

CarrotTop Mon 21-Sept-26 14:24:19

Oh sorry, I've just seen that it's supposed to be an alphabetical game, I thought it was a normal topic - count my letter as E, although I can't think of a shop I miss that starts with E (I'll check again later and see who comes up with an X or Z...).

CarrotTop Mon 21-Sept-26 14:21:56

Do these have to be well-known shops that used to be "household names" or can they be independent shops which went to the wall years ago?
Household name: Wimbush's Bakeries in Birmingham - I lived in Brum for a while in the 1960s and was addicted to their pineapple tartlets: a sweet pastry case, a layer of pineapple jam, a mound of synthetic over-sweetened "cream" and a coating of yellow icing dusted with green vermicelli - the four essential food types!
Small local shop: Old Snowball's paper shop/tobacconist, - specifically the sweets counter: sweet cigarettes, gob stoppers, sherbet dabs, penny chews, parma violets ... and big jars of blackjacks, acid drops, barley sugars, hundreds & thousands, etc, transferred with a scoop into a tiny paper bag.

Liaise Mon 21-Sept-26 14:07:04

Dingles.

JamesandJon33 Mon 21-Sept-26 13:34:38

Is it D ?
Dorothy Perkins

Grantanow Mon 21-Sept-26 09:54:13

Home and Colonial Stores,
Civil Service Store (on the Strand)

Grantanow Mon 21-Sept-26 09:52:37

Bourne and Hollingsworth

Ali08 Sun 06-Oct-24 09:57:03

X - ? 《What on earth have you all been up to? I leave you alone for 5 minutes....》

Youngs.

RobertStolker565 Sat 05-Oct-24 22:02:42

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

RobertStolker565 Sat 05-Oct-24 22:02:32

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

seofaheem Sat 05-Oct-24 22:01:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

crazyH Thu 19-Sept-24 13:21:34

Waterstones ( sorry if it’s still going)

JdotJ Thu 19-Sept-24 13:09:22

VJ's......off licence near my house in the 1970s

Indigo8 Thu 19-Sept-24 12:17:16

Unwins (wine merchants)

Indigo8 Thu 19-Sept-24 12:16:21

Reported.

semper Thu 19-Sept-24 12:00:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

semper Thu 19-Sept-24 11:59:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Ali08 Tue 07-May-24 11:42:44

Timpsons

Ali08 Sat 04-May-24 20:32:34

Simpsons

QuaintIrene Fri 26-Apr-24 13:21:15

Rishworths -A nice furniture shop in town.

Ali08 Fri 26-Apr-24 08:47:10

Quarzi's - was a corner shop/cafe where I grew up. It was very popular.

Georgesgran Thu 25-Apr-24 23:06:24

Paige’s - it was a fashion store on North Rd, Durham in the ‘60s.