Gransnet forums

Food

Take aways

(39 Posts)
Gingster Sat 03-Oct-26 16:45:24

As we (well I) had been so busy , we thought we’d treat ourselves to fish and chips from the best shop in town.
1hr and a half later it arrived and it was the wrong order. Instead of 1 cod, 1 plaice and chips we got large chips and 1 battered sausage.
Phoned the shop and although apologetic said the delivery is down to just Eat. Of course I can’t get through to them.
We ate the sausage and a few chips as we were so hungry.

Won’t be doing that again! 😡

Sago Tue 06-Oct-26 09:15:08

I am a cook from scratch advocate, I won’t buy Indian or Chinese take away but I love good fish and chips and yes when you have come home from holiday or you have had a busy day it is a treat.

Our village chippy is literally at the bottom of our lane so we enjoy them piping hot.

I am now salivating and wanting to a fish supper!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 07:20:56

We are lucky living near a city that has on offer all the worlds cuisine and the ability to get it delivered to our door. If a restaurant isn’t what we want we order a quick 20 minute delivery from Waitrose, Sainsbury etc.

The delivery people are always cheerful and pleasant we tip them 10% as is normal, which adds of course to the bill, but it is a service for which I’m happy to pay.

We usually use deliveroo.

Marzipan22 Tue 06-Oct-26 06:29:42

Well, if you're blind like my daughter is you can't just 'go to the fish and chip shop or pizza outlet'. Count your blessings if you can. And what's wrong with someone earning a wage being a delivery driver?

Oreo Mon 05-Oct-26 22:59:58

Sarnia

Some delivery companies leave a lot to be desired.
I think takeaways are a rip off, especially pizzas. I have been there when a pizza delivery calls. Upwards of £25 for a couple of luke warm pizzas which have been thrown around on the back of a moped for 20 minutes when she could have popped some good quality supermarket pizzas in the oven in less time and saved herself some money.

Exactly, if you want your food delivered lukewarm from an asylum seekers on a moped then use those services.
How hard is it to go to the fish and chip shop or pizza outlet.
In the case of pizza, shove a good supermarket one into the oven and hey presto!

TillyTrotter Mon 05-Oct-26 18:57:58

Had a similar experience with Just Eat. They take your money and just vanish into the ether when you have a problem.
I can imagine how disappointed you were OP.

Tessa1234 Mon 05-Oct-26 18:54:18

What a disappointment. Our local chippy is 2 minutes down the street. On Wednesdays we often share a pensioners special - cod, chips and mushy peas for £6 great value and plenty for 2. We're so lucky.

mrsmeldrew Mon 05-Oct-26 17:22:56

Ive Just come back from Lanzarote and the fish at the hotel buffet was delicious. Every night you could have salmon, sea bass, sea bream pan fried. Most of it fresh fish. I had it almost every night on a two week holiday and I had two fillets as it is too expensive now in UK and often disappointing when cooked.

crazyH Mon 05-Oct-26 16:02:08

We would all like to cook from scratch but isn’t a take-away / delivery a godsend on a day when you can’t be bothered? I’m sure most of us have those days.

CarrotTop Mon 05-Oct-26 15:59:36

Here in the sticks we're not well served by take-away places. There's nowhere within walking distance and the food delivery people don't come out this far (the food would be stone cold anyway by the time it got here). There's an Indian restaurant 4 miles away by car, then a Chinese, a chip shop and another Indian another 4 miles in the same direction. None of them serves good enough food to make the effort.

FindingNemo15 Mon 05-Oct-26 15:49:20

I have never used the food delivery services, but would like to know what Uber, Deliveroo and Just Eat charge.

Mollygo Mon 05-Oct-26 15:06:33

Smileless2012

We use a local chinese takeaway, 'phone direct and collect.

We do that too, when we have Chinese takeaway.
F&C which is a rarer treat, is a lunchtime special -half the price and a smaller portion.

bookwormbabe Mon 05-Oct-26 14:58:21

I never use Just Eat, Ubereats or Deliveroo. Apart from anything else I wouldn't fancy eating anything that has been in one of those filthy looking bags they use.

4allweknow Mon 05-Oct-26 14:56:57

Local Fish and chip shop provide delivery. Same with Pizza, Chinese, Indian meals. Just phone or log on to their App to order. No Just Eat, Deliveroo involved.

Lupatria Mon 05-Oct-26 14:48:42

i order fish and chips via just eat and I can watch the app and see my order being delivered on the map! when it arrives it's lovely and hot, not greasy and the batter is crispy - i even get a lemon wedge!!
i also use just eat for other takeaways and they always turn up hot and ready to eat.
i've had a roast dinner once or twice from our local toby carvery which was fantastic
OK takeaways are a bit more expensive than cooking it yourself but on a rainy evening or when you haven't the energy (or time) to cook then they're a godsend.

knspol Mon 05-Oct-26 14:46:14

When we first moved to this area we tried most fish and chip shops recommended to us and they were all a disappointment, soggy batter and fish not very fresh tasting. When they're good they're very ,very good and when they're bad they're horrid!

cc Mon 05-Oct-26 14:35:25

My daughter often uses food delivery services on Fridays as a treat for herself and the children. Some orders are perfect but others seem never to get it right - usually KFC and their ilk. Very disappointing for the children.
Sometimes she discovers before ordering that it will take upwards of an hour to deliver so she'd be better off going out.
Personally, as regards fish and chips, I use my air fryer and buy extra large fillets of oven cook cod or haddock and McCains Home chips. Not quite the same, but quick and no missing orders. We always keep vinegar in for this!
I'd always rather go out for a pizza, our local Italian does them quite quickly and much better than the delivery services. We usually eat in rather than takeaway.

DrWatson Mon 05-Oct-26 14:12:17

For Gingster, their excuse is irrelevant. Whoever you ordered with - and your piece isn't clear - the contract is for you to receive what you ordered, not something else, and to get it in a reasonable time.

I'm guessing you ordered via Just Eat, their website says :- Our Promise >> Excellent Service.

At the bottom of their website is this :-

Report online >>> Speak up regarding actions or
behaviours you believe are inconsistent with our Code of Conduct.

Well, delivering the wrong stuff, and taking that long to do it, would qualify? Send them a complaint, and specify the difference between what you reluctantly ate, and what you'd ordered.

sodapop Mon 05-Oct-26 13:14:23

Don't know whether to be disappointed or pleased that none of these delivery services have arrived in our rural backwater in France. The only takeaway available is pizza which is very popular in France. I do miss not being able to get a Chinese or Indian meal when we have been too busy to cook or just feel lazy.

Aldom Sun 04-Oct-26 22:18:00

Doodledog condolences on the death of your mother in law. flowers

kittylester Sun 04-Oct-26 14:39:40

Not so easy to get tasty ones that are gf.

Sarnia Sun 04-Oct-26 12:37:14

Should have mentioned this as at my DD's house.

Sarnia Sun 04-Oct-26 12:36:34

Some delivery companies leave a lot to be desired.
I think takeaways are a rip off, especially pizzas. I have been there when a pizza delivery calls. Upwards of £25 for a couple of luke warm pizzas which have been thrown around on the back of a moped for 20 minutes when she could have popped some good quality supermarket pizzas in the oven in less time and saved herself some money.

Gingster Sun 04-Oct-26 12:21:21

Thanks all for your kind words about my fish n chips..
as we don’t have a car now (sorry to bleat in about it), it would be a 10/min walk to our nearest which isn’t too great , and would be a bit soggy by the time I got home.
Thought a delivery would be great!

The problem is with getting a refund, the GC do it all the time and have instructed me how to do it, your supposed to take a pic and because we were so hungry we ate it up before I knew what to do.

Never mind, we live and learn.
Thanks everyone anyway.
Just wanted to warn anyone of our experience.

Marzipan22 Sat 03-Oct-26 19:48:08

That's such a shame Gingster. You don't need to 'get through' to Just Eat, just tick the box at the bottom of the screen where it allows you to complain. I order a fair amount of food/groceries etc through Just Eat for my blind daughter who can't access their website and can't always get to the shop/café/takeaway place concerned. Occasionally an order goes a bit wrong (though generally she finds it an excellent service) and when it does the cost is refunded to her Visa card.

Desdemona Sat 03-Oct-26 19:37:26

Fish and chips is one of those takeaways that should always be collected direct from the shop as if it is allowed to steam in packaging while being collected by a driver it will be soggy and horrible. (Not always easy to collect in person though.)

Getting the order wrong is pretty inexcusable of them.