Gransnet forums

Food

Shortbread

(31 Posts)
Stansgran Wed 30-Sept-26 21:11:35

I know homemade shortbread is best but can anyone recommend a make which is as good as homemade? I’ve just come back from Scotland and bought some homemade in a cake shop and also bought some with seaweed in it which we aren’t tried yet. Some we tried was quite good but not available here and some was not very good at all. I’m just longing for comfort food at the moment

Margs Wed 07-Oct-26 17:15:41

Seaweedy Shortbread? Ye Gods!

TillyTrotter Wed 07-Oct-26 16:47:27

I saw, so I bought, some of the Aldi shortbread fingers today on your recommendation UTBB . 🙂

OldFrill Sun 04-Oct-26 09:53:11

I wonder who makes the branded shortbread for Aldi, Ringtons, M&S etc. I'm always curious where "own brands" originated, extremely lucrative contracts.

Harris27 Sun 04-Oct-26 09:28:39

I buy Ringtons’s big box as a treat which lasts us. But normally it’s aldis Belmont for me.

TillyTrotter Sun 04-Oct-26 09:09:00

I hope so, they make super gifts .

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-26 08:34:32

Maybe M&S are about to launch a new tin? Ready for Christmas?
The one you show, Tilly, was definitely on the shelves this time last year...

Mauduit24 Sun 04-Oct-26 08:20:18

Try sawley kitchen shortbread. I was sent a gift box by some friends. Have to say the family enjoyed it

TillyTrotter Sat 03-Oct-26 21:32:20

Annoyingly people are buying the M&S tins (in bulk probably) and selling on eBay for double the price 😡

TillyTrotter Sat 03-Oct-26 21:28:52

M&S all-butter shortbread thick, shaped biscuits in a tin.
Currently showing out of stock online when I looked, but loads on shelves in their shops. Utterly delicious.

Lizziemac Sat 03-Oct-26 19:48:27

Deans are the best

OldFrill Sat 03-Oct-26 17:53:10

I know exactly where Crystals shortbread is made and I'll now make a point of trying it.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 03-Oct-26 17:30:03

Seconded Jandy.
Sadly this tin is now empty! I will definitely be ordering another.

win Sat 03-Oct-26 17:21:43

OP have you tried Greggs Jammi Heart Shortbread biscuits, my group fight over them when I bring them. • Jammy Heart Biscuit
• Description: A large heart-shaped shortbread or shortcrust biscuit topped with a dollop of raspberry jam in the middle.
• Price: Around £0.85 per biscuit (prices can slightly vary by location).
• Nutrition (59g portion): 271 calories, 13g fat (7.7g saturates), 35g carbohydrates (13g sugars), 3.1g protein, and 0.31g salt.

ufix1 Sat 03-Oct-26 16:40:37

M&S is the best, nothing fancy, no tin just good old fashioned buttery shortbread in a red wrapper £1 or thereabouts! Yum

chicken Sat 03-Oct-26 16:18:30

Border biscuits do a sharing pack of six varieties which includes shortbread, oat crumbles,Viennese swirls and three other varieties, two of them half coated in chocolate and all delicious.

62Granny Sat 03-Oct-26 16:12:23

I like Pattersons shortbread fingers, they are not overly sweet and a nice thickness, I buy mine from Tesco £1.50 for 300grams box , in fact I have just eaten 2 with my afternoon cuppa. 😋

Usedtobeblonde Sat 03-Oct-26 16:10:33

Only today somewhere I saw a comparison of supermarket shortbreads and Aldi Belmonte came out top with 9 out of ten.

4allweknow Sat 03-Oct-26 15:19:28

Look for any that has rice flour in the ingredients, only way to make shortbread. Aldi used to have proper shortbread sold as 12 fingers in a box, but it stopped supplying about a year ago. Sorry, but haven't found any with proper ingredients so no longer buy any of the massed produced stuff only very locally produced.

Nannan2 Sat 03-Oct-26 14:58:00

My youngest son adores morrisons shortbread in the cellophane bags,near their bakery-its square and you only get 4 in a bag,but he says its lovely & buttery,and soft to eat not hard biscuits.And he is very hard to please.You could try homemade i guess🤔

readsalot Sat 03-Oct-26 14:49:14

Marks and Spencer all butter shortbread biscuits. In a cellophane bag near the bakery. So good!

bridie54 Sat 03-Oct-26 14:45:22

Deans is my go to shortie. Yum

Jandy57 Sat 03-Oct-26 14:36:33

Chrystal’s a small family company based in Loch Lomond , absolutely delicious www.chrystalsshortbread.co.uk

blueblossom Sat 03-Oct-26 14:01:07

I’d probably get two or three different packets and see. I’m weirdly fussy about shortbread though. I like it a bit crumbly and you have to be able to taste the butter. We’ve had some of those really hard ones before and they just sat in the cupboard for ages because nobody particularly wanted them.

I’d have picked up the seaweed one in Scotland just out of curiosity. I can’t even begin to imagine how strongly you can taste the seaweed in it. Maybe in the end it’s just a bit salty. Have you opened them yet, Stansgran?

I’d probably go for a small packet to start with. After trying the fresh shortbread from that little shop, a shop-bought variety is probably going to have a bit of a hard time competing anyway. And then to have a massive tin of it sitting in the cupboard straight away ... well, I’d rather start with a small one first.

Largolass Sat 03-Oct-26 13:51:08

Walker’s of Aberlour sell delicious shortbread and have an online shop.

WinnieLily Sat 03-Oct-26 13:47:02

I love Morrisons Extra Special round shortbread 😋