Gransnet forums

Food

Were you a fussy eater as a child and are you now?

(111 Posts)
Bazza Wed 23-Sept-26 11:51:16

I was a very fussy eater s a child but had it knocked out of me at boarding school when I realised that if you’re hungry enough you’ll eat almost anything. My youngest DD was an extremely fussy eater which I didn’t handle well at all which I do now regret. She is still really fussy but prefers to call herself “particular.” She now has two teenage sons who seem to be permanently starving so she will never know what I went through!

Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 12:16:46

I was a ridiculously fussy eater as a child.

So were 3 of our 5 children.

1 of these “children” still is, however, I’m not anymore, neither are the other two.

Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 12:24:34

My DM was an extremely fussy eater, right up to her death.

As a child she was “forced” to eat food she detested.

She vowed never to do this to me, and I never did it with our own children.

It’s an awful and cruel thing to do!

My DM was called into my primary school, I was in the infants, and I’d been forced to eat a school meal which contained something I didn’t like, and I’d promptly vomited up my entire meal on the canteen floor. My DM was furious and never again was I “forced” into eating anything I didn’t like.

I can very distinctly recall queuing up for school meals and asking please not to be given the stuff I didn’t like, and it being plonked on the plate anyway. Why? 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Fallingstar Wed 23-Sept-26 12:25:36

I was very fussy but my parents wouldn’t budge, if I didn’t clear my plate I couldn’t leave the table, but I hated it. I didn’t like meat of any description, eggs, salad, or vegetables. 😬

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 23-Sept-26 12:26:17

Never a fussy eater and nor are my children. The nearest to ‘fussiness’ is daughter doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth, elder son doesn’t like peas and younger son says that sweetcorn reminds him of old teeth!

aggie Wed 23-Sept-26 12:26:36

In our house you learnt to eat quickly or your food was scooped away by the child sitting next to you
It was during the war aand just after
My lot were not fussy till they went to school and heard others turning up their noses , it wasn’t cool to like school dinners
Second youngest might as well run a cafe , she has to cook for vegetarian, allergy and just plain fussy !

dragonfly46 Wed 23-Sept-26 12:27:30

No I was not fussy at all. I ate everything. My mum was a superb cook and my dad grew all his own veg and fruit. I also eat pretty much anything but I married someone who is still incredibly fussy.

Esmay Wed 23-Sept-26 12:30:19

I wasn't allowed to be.
Wasting money was a cardinal sin in our house.
As I've grown older I definitely have strong preferences- really not keen on any dish made with mince beef and I'm not that crazy about pork chops either .
If I've prepared them my way -then fine .
Sometimes I dislike certain smells-eggs for example.

nanna8 Wed 23-Sept-26 12:32:32

No - you’d go hungry if you were. Some of my children were, though. One was vegan and one was just fussy. None of them ate much. Nothing like our grandsons who eat like horses and are very active with not an inch of fat on ‘em, lucky beasts.

Fallingstar Wed 23-Sept-26 12:33:40

Fallingstar

I was very fussy but my parents wouldn’t budge, if I didn’t clear my plate I couldn’t leave the table, but I hated it. I didn’t like meat of any description, eggs, salad, or vegetables. 😬

Sorry forgot to add I will eat most things now but never mayo.

Sago Wed 23-Sept-26 12:35:12

I wasn’t allowed to be either, my narcissistic mother would have seen it as an insult, she was a dreadful and resentful cook.

So I ate everything and then from the age of 11 threw it up.

I now eat everything and hold it down!

Our children and GC are great eaters.

Casdon Wed 23-Sept-26 12:36:01

Not really, there were a few salad vegetables I didn’t like, but there were four children in my family, and we traded - I always swapped my cucumber with my sister’s tomatoes. My brother would always eat anything other people didn’t want, so there was no waste. The only thing I can ever remember us all rejecting was mussels.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Sept-26 12:36:08

I was an only child and only grandchild until my teens. Both sets of grandparents were kind and I cannot remember ever not eating their food apart from paternal grannies Sunday high tea which sometimes included tongue . She would let me have egg or cheese.

My parents had pubs with restaurants, so from the age of five I was extremely fortunate to always have a choice of lunch and dinner.

The only thing I couldn’t tolerate was the school milk, and I was excused from that torture 🤮

MaizieD Wed 23-Sept-26 12:36:46

I was dreadfully fussy as a child, my mother was fairly accommodating but I terrible battles with the dinner nannies at primary. You weren't allowed any choice of food. it was all plonked on your plate and if you wanted to leave anything (scrape it into the pig bowl) the nanny inspected your plate and either allowed you to scrape it or sent you back to eat a bit more. Banana custard was my worst enemy. I cannot bear cooked banana to this day.

However, being fussy caused some embarrassment when eating at friends' houses so I taught myself to eat a far wider range of food. I'll eat 'almost' anything now.

Food is also nicer when you cook it yourself exactly as you like it.

Casdon Wed 23-Sept-26 12:37:42

School milk - yuck, I agree GrannyGravy, particularly in the winter when it tasted of turnips.

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Sept-26 12:57:53

Not fussy as a child, I didn’t like sprouts or peppers, by my early 20’s loved sprouts, but have never liked peppers.
My son didn’t like tomatoes, but does now, otherwise both children weren’t fussy.

Plevey08 Wed 23-Sept-26 13:01:35

I was constantly hungry as a child. Money was tight...I ate anything given. Unfortunately, being the youngest of 5, I was last in the queue for seconds.
My son's were very good eaters. They had their preferences but ate well.
My GD has autism and is very unadventurous with food. Certain textures and smells, she physically can not eat them. I like to introduce her to trying something new regularly, as do her parents. The trick is not to make a big deal of it.

keepcalmandcavachon Wed 23-Sept-26 13:06:40

I didn't experience many cooked foods as a child. Toast or sandwiches mostly, never anything like stew, fish, a roast or cottage pie.
I learnt to cook but have never developed the passion for trying out new cuisines! Most of the food I make is now the things I missed out on so I'm stuck in the 60s grin
I also have a 'thing' about eating out, I mostly can't. It's the thought of someone else preparing it that puts me off.
There is one fish and chip shop that I sometimes feel I can use but takeaways are a no no.
I couldn't ever eat from a buffet or buy things unwrapped at a counter such a bread in a supermarket for example. I can eat food that my daughter & SIL have cooked but that's it.
I expect its all a bit deeply rooted in attitudes to food in my childhood but hey ho!

Tenko Wed 23-Sept-26 13:07:17

I wasn’t a fussy eater but I’ve always been sensitive to texture especially of meat . When I was young , we didn’t have much money and mum would buy cheap cuts of meat . Gristle and fat would make me heave and I remember battles at lunch or dinner because I wouldn’t eat the meat . I’d eat pretty much everything else . I still hate liver due to school liver , which I’d hide in my pocket as in primary school we had to empty our plates .
As an adult I’m not a fussy eater , although I still can’t eat fat unless it’s really crispy as on bacon or chops .
Because of food battles when I was a child , I swore I wouldn’t put my dc through it.
Neither of my DC have been fussy eaters .

Tenko Wed 23-Sept-26 13:09:40

Oh and I still can’t drink milk as a drink thanks to school milk . It was left outside and was frozen in winter and warm in summer .🤮

shysal Wed 23-Sept-26 13:09:46

I wasn't fussy as a child because I loved my mother's cooking. She was a farmer's daughter so it was all roasts, steak and kidney pies and old fashioned puddings. I wasn't expected to eat my father's favourite tripe, chitterlings and offal. Now that I am an adult I dislike a lot of the foods that are common these days. I don't like anything spicy or 'hot', so still stick to the meat and veg type meals or fish. I therefore feel fussy when trying to choose from a restaurant menu.

BlueBelle Wed 23-Sept-26 13:15:53

I was a fussy eater I think, I have one vivid memory of me very young and my Nan who looked after me most days saying “oh do swallow that meat it’s been going round and round for ever” maybe that’s why I don’t eat meat or fish now a days never really liked it much.
I wish I was a fussy eater now I eat too much

Funnily enough I used to love the school milk

My son had a good appetite but hated fruit and veg he would only eat bananas and didn’t like anything slightly creamy so no butter or cream etc I think his wife has improved him but it’s obviously done him no harm he’s a great athlete even now at 57
He had a thing about lamb and in those days some cuts of lamb were the cheapest I was bringing three up on my own with no financial help so lamb it was He used to say this isn’t lamb is it and I d say no darling it’s beef and he d eat it ( oh bad mum )

M0nica Wed 23-Sept-26 13:32:53

One of my few virtues as a child was that I would eat almost anything. Milk was my main aversion. I now know I have mild lactic intolerance. However my sister was a fussy eater and I can remember her being made to eat things and vowed I would never do that if I ever had children

I had one of each. DD would eat anything unless it was tomatoes and DH had a small appetite and was a fussy eater. This changed when he hit puberty and the growth spurt. Now he eats almost anything - except milk because like me he has mild lactose intolerance.

rafichagran Wed 23-Sept-26 13:33:53

Very fussy. I only ate cheese, chicken and turkey. I ate rich tea biscuits and homemade mince pies. I drank tea, milk and water.

NotSpaghetti Wed 23-Sept-26 13:35:02

No. Not fussy but never really liked the texture of meat.
I was expected to eat at least some of it. My father cut it very very thin if a joint type and if it was (say) in a stew I cut it very small myself.

I'm vegetarian now.