I stew all mine for crumbles too but I love the idea of the flapjacks Grandmadinosaur . Would you come back ands tell me about the cooking time please as I always seem to over cook my flapjacks ?
It’s a while since I’ve made any but I used to bake them on Gas no 5 for about 30 minutes. My oven isn’t brilliant so I often had to adjust the timing and temperature. You can also use different fruits and/or a mixture.
5 Oz plain flour 5 Oz butter ( or marg but butter gives better flavour) 5 Oz brown sugar 5 Oz oats Bake in 6” square tin.
I stew all mine for crumbles too but I love the idea of the flapjacks Grandmadinosaur . Would you come back ands tell me about the cooking time please as I always seem to over cook my flapjacks ?
After apple crumble my favourite recipe is for apple flapjacks. Basically you cook the apples, make up the flapjack mixture and put half of it in a square baking tin. Put the apples on top cover with the rest of the oat mixture and bake. Delicious on their own or with custard as a dessert. It’s a firm favourite in our house.
I’ve had a mass of windfalls from a DD’s tree. I core and cut them up (I don’t peel) and cook them down just a bit with a very little water, pack into plastic boxes and freeze. Then use for apple pie, Eve’s pudding, crumble, etc. Or even stewed apple and custard.
If you have a mass of apples this year as we do, bring them indoors and leave somewhere dry for a day or two. Check over discarding any with bruising or obvious infestation. Wrap individually in newspaper and pack in a cardboard box. Place in shed or any cool place. They should last for ages.
Are you trying to freeze them without cooking first? If you are going to use them for crumble, cakes, etc, just microwave for a few min in minimum amount of water with a little sugar and cinnamon if liked, then freeze in batches. I do this and they don't go brown.
Bramley apples will go to mush if you are not careful.
Are you trying to freeze them without cooking first? If you are going to use them for crumble, cakes, etc, just microwave for a few min in minimum amount of water with a little sugar and cinnamon if liked, then freeze in batches. I do this and they don't go brown.
I have just looked this up as I want to do the same. Slice them and put them in water with lemon juice. Dry them off then put them on a tray individually in the freezer. When frozen put them in a bag and back in the freezer.