Gransnet forums

Education

Among all the scientific subjects, chemistry is the worst

(52 Posts)
bachi Fri 02-Oct-26 20:30:16

Prove me wrong. I'd rather do math and physics than to memorize a hundred different formulas and chemical symbols. Chemistry is just way too abstract and has too many exceptions.

grandMattie Fri 02-Oct-26 20:52:33

I’m the opposite. Physics is too arcane for me - give me biology and chemistry any time.

Lixy2 Fri 02-Oct-26 21:18:19

It’s fascinating to play with the various elements and see how they interact.

Chemistry has been described to me as ‘cookery with an edge’.

I feel that all the sciences depend on careful observation and the recording of those observations. The rote learning of the basic information maybe tedious, but it underpins making logical sense of the fun with experiments.

Deedaa Fri 02-Oct-26 21:29:58

My daughter took biology and chemistry at A level and is now a biochemist. Her son is loving maths and physics. I gave up on science because it all involved maths.

MawsRosie Fri 02-Oct-26 21:49:25

Define worst

JenniRen Fri 02-Oct-26 22:13:12

MawsRosie

Define worst

Odd, isn't it!

It depends what you enjoy as a subject and it is a fact that all scientific subjects, including mathematics, are linked and inter-dependent.

You can't have one without the other 🎵🎶

BlueBelle Fri 02-Oct-26 22:28:38

I hate maths, all the sciences and languages (but I love sudokus)
I love English, History, geography, and Art

It depends on which side of the brain works best

NotSpaghetti Fri 02-Oct-26 23:27:02

I loved Maths, Art and English.
Not sure what my brain is doing BlueBelle grin

Wyllow3 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:36:07

I loved biology

Physics was presented boringly and I hadn't the maths.

Chemistry fascinated me all the interactions but I guess it was biochemistry I liked. But I wasnt much good at it.

I did what was then the classic "English, History and Geography".

Rosie51 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:43:19

My A levels were Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. I absolutely hated Physics while loving Chemistry, Biology and Maths in that order. Still love Biology the most fascinating of the sciences to me and the area of my greatest knowledge and interest.

agnurse Sat 03-Oct-26 01:09:38

I didn't care for the maths side of physics, though I must admit, I found a lot of practical applications in physics. I actually quite enjoyed chemistry, particularly stoichiometry.

Grammaretto Sat 03-Oct-26 01:28:06

I wish I hadn't given up chemistry at school. I've needed it all my life as a potter mixing glazes and working out formulae.

I blame the fact that at an all girls school in the 1960s, female science teachers were a rare commodity and had little interest in the subject.

nanna8 Sat 03-Oct-26 01:38:07

My granddaughter is studying chemistry at uni. It is her absolute favourite subject and at the moment she is doing some research into something medical as part of her final year placement. I never got past O level chemistry but I did like it. In those days we weren’t allowed to mix arts and science and I was hooked on English lit. and history. Bit of a mistake in retrospect.

JamesandJon33 Sat 03-Oct-26 05:13:02

I was in 3 Science A form at grammar school. Biology, Chemistry and Physics, chief subjects. I got along only in biology. Didn’t understand the other two…and still don’t.Clueless in physics and the gruff teacher was no help.

BlueBelle Sat 03-Oct-26 05:29:49

Grammaretto exactly that, I too was at an all girls school in the late 50searly 60 s we had a really weak science teacher an Austrian lady who had no ability to control the class, although we weren’t naughty, just chatty and it was very boring.
Wheras I had a history teacher who brought it all to life Makes a huge difference
I didn’t have a natural interest in the sciences but maybe with a better teacher I could have had

MawsRosie Sat 03-Oct-26 08:11:21

bachi

Prove me wrong. I'd rather do math and physics than to memorize a hundred different formulas and chemical symbols. Chemistry is just way too abstract and has too many exceptions.

Are you still at school OP? And maybe in the US? (We generally talk about MathS in the UK)

eazybee Sat 03-Oct-26 09:35:32

I regret not taking more interest in science at school, a girls grammar but with a very good science department. I wonder if pupils are more receptive to the sciences now because they study them at Primary school?

Maremia Sat 03-Oct-26 13:59:52

I wonder how much influence the experience of an inspiring or a boring teacher had on our preferences?

JenniRen Sat 03-Oct-26 14:40:05

It's all subjective.

62Granny Sat 03-Oct-26 18:27:04

I never understood any of the science subjects when I was in school and I am sure we had the worst teachers , they taught but did not engage with the students at all, they made it boring , I am sure I only had single figures in a test and I could not wait to drop them when the time came. But now I understand it a bit more, certainly Biology and Chemistry and am a little bit more aware of how Physics works .

Cumbrianmale56 Mon 05-Oct-26 09:24:54

It's all to do with the teacher. I had excellent science teachers for the first 2 years, but ended with two really boring, poor chemistry and biology teachers in the 3rd form, so dropped the subjects. Took physics as this was the one I preferred.

CarrotTop Mon 05-Oct-26 09:28:21

Nobody can prove you wrong because it's a matter of preference and opinion!

TheWeirdoAgain60 Mon 05-Oct-26 09:34:10

I never could understand any of the above, all the maths and everything, and I refused point blank to do biology or anything where animals, insects, etc are tortured.

Plunger Mon 05-Oct-26 09:58:56

Without chemistry and all the other science subjects plus maths there would be no modern drugs. Working in a research capacity was the best job ever and so rewarding having seen a cancer treatment I worked on saving hundreds of lives a year.

Cumbrianmale56 Mon 05-Oct-26 20:14:15

TheWeirdoAgain60

I never could understand any of the above, all the maths and everything, and I refused point blank to do biology or anything where animals, insects, etc are tortured.

We did a human based biology course in my first two years at secondary school, where we learned about things that were relevant to our lives like reproduction, food hygiene, diseases and vaccinations. Got B grades every time. Then I changed schools and the subject became similar to what you did, cutting up rats and looking at sheep's eyes. Teacher was boring and patronising, so dumpted the subject with a Grade E.