I have no particular foot problems but Mephisto would be my choice. Owned current ones for 20 years and still going strong. Wonderfully comfortable, waterproof and no complaints from me.
What's next for Meghan and Harry?
Hi there , can anyone recommend shoes for walking in 4/5 miles daily , I am prone to plantar fasciitis, very painful ?, many thanks
I have no particular foot problems but Mephisto would be my choice. Owned current ones for 20 years and still going strong. Wonderfully comfortable, waterproof and no complaints from me.
I have PF, the ONLY shoes/flip flops/house slippers that make it go away are FitFlop. Expensive but they do have offers sometimes, or search for a voucher code.
I had Plantar Fasciitis last year really badly, not only do I need 2 knee replacements but I was in agony due to inflamed arthritis in both feet as well and we were due to go on holiday, I thought of cancelling as I could hardly walk then a friend suggested I visited her Private podiatrist. I went and paid for him to do an ultra sound, he diagnosed Plantar and suggested I have a steroid injection under controlled ultra sound the following day as it was so swollen. I must admit I was nervous but he gave me an anaesthetic Injection first and allowed the time for it to work and I never looked back, it was agony the first 24 hours after the anaesthetic wore off but paracetamol and an ice pack helped but after a week it was brilliant, well worth the money (around £150) for it to heal up in a couple of weeks as opposed to the 2 years and loads of physio (waste of time) and variety of insoles my husband had to put up with when he had it. I wouldn’t think twice in either of us going to the Foot clinic again for the treatment I had instead of years of putting up with that pain again, maybe you should look into it?
Nothing beats ecco shoes in my opinion. They last for at least 10 years too, so they aren't as expensive as they look at first.
Ecco makes walking shoes, boots and sandals. The walking shoes come both in winter and summer versions.
Skechers r my favourite, followed by Clarks Trigenic range.
I have sketchers and fitflops boots, both excellent for plantar fasciitis as recommended by my podiatrists.
My ‘proper’ walking boots are Brashers.
I do about the same each day and I swear by Meindl (https://meindl.de/?lang=en)
I have recently bought Keen walking shoes, have a dog and walk miles daily and walking holidays.Loved my Merrils but couldnt get the ones I wanted then saw Keen in a walking magazine .They are slightly wider and deeper around the toes than other boots, great if you have a bunion, decent sole etc and support.And because they are wider and deeper are ok with an in sole.I usually have to buy a whole size larger walking boots but as suggested in The review bought half size bigger.Comfy from day one.
Sketchers. I almost live in mine. So comfy, and although can sometimes be a little expensive. They last a long while.
I have a pair of ON Running trainers which are very comfortable. They aren't cheap but Cotswold Outdoor do some good deals on them.
Another Skechers fan here, although I have also got one pair of the ultimate walking shoe, Brooks adrenaline walkers, expensive but well worth it, extremely comfortable - a chiropodist recommended them to me.
Skechers every time. For more support Strive shoes are very good but need to be 'broken in' a little at a time as they have supportive insoles, but when 'customised' are great. I also wear PF socks, got mine on Ebay, they help as well. Good luck.
I suffered from it badly for years. Did buy the inserts from Boots/Superdrug but they were a pain to get the positioning right so I ended up buying several pairs of inserts for different shoes. Not cheap but it saved me a lot of angst when trying to re-position them.
Ecco shoes were excellent & Skechers trainers were very good.
Rolling your foot over a tennis ball helps stretch the foot.
I now only get a twinge every now and then.
Some of the suggestions here might help - www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324353#plantar-fasciitis-stretches
Another vote for Merrell here, they’re quite light and the soles are flexible and supportive.
I have PF plus bunions and very wide feet as well. For the last 25 years have only worn backless shoes . Can no longer find suitable footwear in local shops so buy online. Pavers have quite a good selection, including my favourites which are Fly Flot with their anatomic soles. They are expensive but worth it.
Agree with TwinLolly - Keen walking sandals are brilliant. For walking shoes which provide a lot of comfort then try a good pair of running shoes. If you go to a running shop and explain what you need they should do a gait analysis on you to find the right pair. You can also get waterproof ones. I’ve done this previously and found them very comfortable.
I had a bad case of PF a few years ago. I bought orthotic insoles in Boots (Scholl IIRC, about £25) and wore them continuously for several weeks. They made walking so much easier and eventually the PF was cured and I’ve never had it since.
Just got a pair of waterproof walking shoes from Cotton Traders. They look like leather but I’m guessing something synthetic but they are really smart. I paid £45 which I think for waterproof is a great price. I’ve bought shoes from CottonTraders before and they were very quick to rectify a problem I had so can recommend them.
I dog walk every day and so have easily done 50 miles in them and they are very comfy. I don’t suffer from the condition you have but there is ample room for one of those Scholl inserts designed to help with it and that my husband swears by.
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
I swear by ECCO shoes
CR39
My daughter is also a Sketchers fan. I wear Clark’s UNstructured Black Leather. Absolute comfort! Lots of nurses wear them I have noticed! £69 and sadly, never in the sales. I had a fall once and ended up in A & E. The triage nurse very sternly asked what shoes I was wearing at the time and when I pointed to my shoes she said ‘well, that ok then!
I also swear by Clark's Unstructured and have just ordered a pair of Un Loop with £10 off in the Humphries Shoes sale - lucky find!
VIONIC shoes/boots helped my (policeman’s heal) , but nothing made it better. My doctor gave me steroid injections they didn’t help ..
It healed itself eventually but not until nearly a year later .
I can thoroughly recommend Womens Peter Storm Caldbeck walking boots, they are not the cheapest but mine are really comfortable and support my high arches and weak ankle. They deal with the wettest of conditions and still look almost new after three years of walking 8 miles a week.
Blacks have a great discount code for October bringing the price down dramatically.
bit.ly/33APozH
My daughter is also a Sketchers fan. I wear Clark’s UNstructured Black Leather. Absolute comfort! Lots of nurses wear them I have noticed! £69 and sadly, never in the sales. I had a fall once and ended up in A & E. The triage nurse very sternly asked what shoes I was wearing at the time and when I pointed to my shoes she said ‘well, that ok then!
I use Keene walking sandals with a closed toe. Very comfortable and lightweight, and fine for water too. The soles are grippy too.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.