There were no strategies for protecting the vulnerable and there had been a failure to engage the public. “We have a superficial prime minister who has got no grasp of public health,” Ashton said. “Our lot are behaving like 19th-century colonialists playing a five-day game of cricket.
We are all worried and this virus has a lot of implications, not only health but economics, depression etc.Surely, as mature people we are able to talk about this, which affects us all, without rude or personal remarks and without political point scoring and without complaining about phrases used such as herd immunity ( pertinent phraseology used in context of pandemics.)
' I have never said it was a soundbite, it's sounds to me like something from a nature programme. Although I love wildlife and the outdoors, I am not keen on such programmmes.' ----
Nobody accused you of saying it was a ' soundbite'!
As for the nature programmes I am sorry but once again you have totally lost me.
' Words and terms can indeed exist for a long time; it's more about the context in which they're being dragged up and used in the current climate that concern thick people like me.' ----
If you knew that why say :-
' Yes; herd immunity etc. Nice little soundbites. Wonder who thinks them up....
If you knew it was a term that has existed for a long time why attribute it being a ' soundbite' that had been thought up.
I really really don't think POGS is trying to be patronising or make people feel badly.
But if we don't understand the very words we use we are never going to be able to discuss with any clarity any situation, especially one as frightening as Coronavirus.
I have never said it was a soundbite, it's sounds to me like something from a nature programme. Although I love wildlife and the outdoors, I am not keen on such programmmes.
I have no trouble accepting that people view language in different ways.
May you have a pleasant evening and not disapppear up your own rear end.
Words and terms can indeed exist for a long time; it's more about the context in which they're being dragged up and used in the current climate that concern thick people like me.
Those words have been discussed on various threads and you will not accept many posters simply do not see them being used as you do.
The term ' Herd Immunity' is not as you and Labaik appear to believe some sort of term conjured up by Johnson /Cummings as a ' soundbite ', Corona Virus speak.
The term ' Herd Immunity' is a common term and is almost a 100 years old in the making.
As for the word ' cull' there is a whole thread on that to which posters have responded.
I have never until about 5 days ago heard this phrase. I have heard cull, in connection with clubbing baby seals. I have heard Corona in connection with pop.
Still being thick [obviously] but isn't the danger that the public have been led to believe that the way to get herd immunity is by letting lots of people catch the virus without there being a vaccine?
There was no intent for this to be rude. It was just hoped that it would be watched because the explanation is very pertinent and the delivery easy to understand.