Gransnet forums

Christmas

Ahead or behind?

(61 Posts)
fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 12:11:35

I know there are some who dont start on anything to do with Christmas, until 1 December.
Or later.

For those of us who start a lot earlier, are you ahead or behind?

I am ahead. Partly to do with circumstances.
When I go out, there seem to be more people than usual, both on the roads, and shopping.

Is that just around here? Spreading cost of living? Weather is still good? People go out for coffee more, and then browse?
Or starting getting ready for Christmas earlier?

Tenko Sat 03-Oct-26 21:03:21

Nope , I haven’t given Christmas a thought. And I’ve got 4 family birthdays before Christmas.

Usedtobeblonde Sat 03-Oct-26 21:22:11

Just now noticed an email from Boots about some perfume and aftershave heavily discounted so ordered both.
I have now officially started C......s shopping.

CarrotTop Sun 04-Oct-26 03:37:47

If a couple of bottles of elderflower fizz, a pouch of ready-cooked chestnuts and a jar of cornichons counts as "ahead", then I suppose I'm ahead. Oh, and I got out our shoe-box of Christmas cards today. DH is our official card-writer and he's very slow, so he might just have them finished by early December! tchgrin

OldBookshelf Wed 07-Oct-26 16:20:55

fancythat

I know there are some who dont start on anything to do with Christmas, until 1 December.
Or later.

For those of us who start a lot earlier, are you ahead or behind?

I am ahead. Partly to do with circumstances.
When I go out, there seem to be more people than usual, both on the roads, and shopping.

Is that just around here? Spreading cost of living? Weather is still good? People go out for coffee more, and then browse?
Or starting getting ready for Christmas earlier?

I do think people are starting earlier these days, perhaps partly to spread the cost and avoid the December rush. I’m usually somewhere in the middle myself and start getting things organised in November.

fancythat Wed 07-Oct-26 18:18:05

From what little I know, I would agree.

I do remember last year, going into Dunelm beginning of December, and much of it's Christmas stock had already been sold by then. Empty spaces.

Grandma70s Wed 07-Oct-26 18:46:47

My sons do Christmas in our family. I don’t have to do a thing apart from buying and sending some cards. Not many. We don’t give presents to adults, and the ‘children’ are teenagers now, so they like money.

I was responsible for Christmas for many, many years, and I am very happy to hand it to others. My favourite bit is watching/listening to the carols from King’s College, Cambridge. I like the food, too, providing someone else prepares it!

TillyTrotter Wed 07-Oct-26 19:17:40

I did it for years for my children and MIL but noone wants to take the baton so I have stopped doing it.
You are lucky Grandma70’s

Rocketstop2 Wed 07-Oct-26 19:25:57

FriedGreenTomatoes2

I’m not a fan. And it’s not going to be the same without Himself here. He loved it. 💙

Last Christmas was so sad we all knew it’d be our last one so younger daughter and son in law hosted a dozen of us. Just because.

I can’t face it this year neither can our daughter so we’ve decided champagne at hers mid afternoon then a curry (which we will book). Our Yorkshire Lass and her husband have spent the last 3 Christmases en famille, again, just because - so I expect this year they’ll either stay home over the Pennines or visit t’other family in Oxford.

I’m not even sure what to do about writing Christmas cards with my name only in them, a much loved twig tree we’ve had for 20+ years will make my cry assembling it on my own so I may not bother. Why press the emotional bruise? I may go to the Trafford Centre and buy a small decorated table top one from John Lewis.

Apologies for bringing the thread down. I realise I just have to get on with things, not overthink and do as much ‘differently’ as I can now. It will never be the same without my Mr Jovial by my side 🎅🏻

Thoughts with others in the same boat as me this year. xx

You didn't bring the thread down at all. It's good to have balance in the replies.
Brave of you to speak about it. It will be sad for you all but I hope it will be more bearable than you are expecting.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:36:26

Thank you Rocketstop2 for your kindness. Appreciate it. x

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:40:01

Good for you Grandma70s you have the right mindset. Enjoying your family in their traditions whilst taking time out to savour the parts you line best too. Very sensible and measured approach. I intend to do my best. Go with the flow and be grateful for what I do have instead of focusing on what I don’t this Christmas.