Gransnet forums

Chat

Should smart glasses (Meta Glasses) be banned?

(8 Posts)
Sago Sun 11-Oct-26 08:53:51

Smart glasses look like ordinary eyewear yet can film and record covertly.

The actor Bill Nighy was recently goaded then filmed whilst sitting outside a London cafe.
The recording was then splashed all over SM.

I once caught a man discreetly filming teenager girls in a shopping centre with his phone, I am pretty sure the pervert has now bought a pair of these glasses, it’s just too easy!

Who needs such technology if it’s not for nefarious practice?

I do not think they should be legal.

AIBU?

Greyduster Sun 11-Oct-26 08:56:55

This has the potential to be the worst kind of invasion of privacy. The world is going to hell on a handcart.

petra Sun 11-Oct-26 08:59:48

Considering we ( the government) can’t stop Meta from harming children I don’t hold out much hope for stopping these pervert specks 🤬

Cossy Sun 11-Oct-26 09:06:48

These specs, whilst being used covertly and in awful ways, are also used in other positive ways too, particularly in the arts industries.

Recording devices generally are, and have been for many many years, very tiny and discrete and some are the size of a very small badge or brooch and could easily been worn on a jacket, jumper or coat to covertly record people inside and outside without their knowledge.

Version of these glasses are being developed for the blind, to tell them in real-time about their surroundings.

It’s people who are the problem, not the technology.

Cossy Sun 11-Oct-26 09:16:01

If you want to stop “perverts” filming then you’ll have to confiscate and ban every known type of camera, recording equipment, the internet and any computer equipment with screens and sound.

We live in an awful world, with awful people in it, all we can do is safeguard our children, be extremely aware that we live in world where people exploit virtually everything and lobby our MPs for much tougher penalties for perpetrators and look at new legislation to protect the general public.

Harsh as I may seem, I have little sympathy for any actor allowing reactions to stupid people goading him, he should have ignored them or walked away.

It doesn’t in any way excuse those goading and filming him and it isn’t right, but those in professions which make themselves famous are only too aware that this kind of behaviour in public is sadly to be expected.

It doesn’t make it right, and I wouldn’t like it. But I’m a realist.

TerriBull Sun 11-Oct-26 09:16:03

When I first read about them, my thoughts were, there's more than a whiff of creepy undertones about such a gadget. Great potential for the voyeur not so great for whoever they may have in their sights. I'm sure, since their launch they're being used for dubious purposes.

Maremia Sun 11-Oct-26 09:38:22

Aren't they already banned in some countries?

Luckygirl3 Sun 11-Oct-26 10:10:18

My blind friend would love a pair - the glasses could tell him what is in front of him.