Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday 9th October 2026

(60 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 09-Oct-26 04:50:28

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but signs of overnight rain on the path outside here in Brackley.
Up to the usual with the bus journey into Bicester do a shop and say hello to to those I know.
Fish & Chips from the local chippy at lunchtime , with afternoon trip to a close by pub for some real ale .
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

GrannyGravy13 Fri 09-Oct-26 08:34:30

Good morning from a grey S E Essex, not chilly though.

For some unknown reason I had the second bad night in a row. I now have a horrible headache. Not sure if I shall go to the gym, it depends if the paracetamol kicks in.

Will read your posts with coffee later 🙋‍♀️

Jaxjacky Fri 09-Oct-26 08:31:26

Morning from a dull but clement S Hants, it was colder yesterday.
A great sleep last night, makes a difference.
I too am missing Bellas and hope all is well.
Lovely pictures this morning thank you.
Tesco delivering later, some house tidying this morning.
Enjoy your day,

Liberty Fri 09-Oct-26 08:30:50

A later than usual good morning from Suffolk where it is dull and damp after a very chilly evening. We had the heating on and DH,who feels the cold, said he wished he’d put the electric blanket on.

I am getting used to my new phone but need to pop into the shop where one of the helpful young person did the data changeover for me. An offer was made to pop in any time if I needed help so I’m taking it up.

My newish email address doesn’t seem to be there but my old one,never used now but not deleted because of old photos of some of the grandchildren when little I don’t want to lose.

About to enjoy my 1st cup of tea and read the posts and enjoy the photos. Hope all have a good day.

Grammaretto Fri 09-Oct-26 08:25:27

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders.
It's wet but signs of clearing later.

My all consuming house move reached a new low point yesterday when I was told and saw that the house I was about to move to has gone back on the market. It's even on Facebook 😡

I couldn't face ceilidh dancing, which I love.

I hope something better turns up as friends and family tell me it will.

I'm invited out to dinner tonight so have little to do as I have cancelled my volunteer shifts for the month. I'll bake a cake quickly.

I may go into Edinburgh for some art gallery therapy.

I do believe you should be on the sewing bee Karmalady as a judge if not a contestant 😀 you are so speedy.

I hope Stilllearning is doing well.
Thinking of all of you with health worries.

Have a good weekend everyone.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Fri 09-Oct-26 08:22:38

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where im enjoying TiB. Our weather forecast is 15°C with rain. It’s wet out already.

I’ve got a busy but potentially enjoyable day today. A salon appointment to have my hair done (foils) at 10am, lunch with 4 friends - all of us retirees and all book clubbers though we don’t talk about the upcoming novel, then at 6pm I’m meeting my friend & neighbour.

A new family owned Spanish restaurant is our choice tonight. I’ve booked a table for 7pm but we will pop into one of the wine bars as we walk up the road to it. Be rude to just walk past so many! My friend can choose which one. 😁

Marydoll Fri 09-Oct-26 08:21:32

Good morning all from Glasgow, where it is 13°C.

R&L, I wonder if your records have not been updated, and the appropriate box ticked.. Why don't you check with your surgery?

I had decided, to do very little yesterday, but DH had other plans.
I was so annoyed at him.
We started to change his bank email address. He had the apps on his phone, but had never registered. I gave up in the end. I was fuming with him.
We will try again today.

We then moved on to Amazon, which he uses all the time. That was even worse. He wasn't receiving security codes to his phone to change his details, and getting really annoyed.
I then realised he had never updated his phone number four years ago and the security codes were going to an old phone.. 🤬
I wasn't feeling too well and this just about finished me off!
I spent the afternoon lying down.
More of the same today.

DIL's mum came in last night (she was in for hours) to inform us, that she has stage four cancer.
DIL could not bring herself to tell us.
DS and family were off on holiday, early this morning. They always send a photo from the airport. They should be in the air by now, but we have heard nothing. I am worried, because they always let me know, when they are at the airport and send a photo of the three of them, before take off,

MIL had made a point of visiting Dollie, to tell her she had cancer and was having an operation,
Why do it the night before, she goes on holiday?
Dollie has experienced so much this year, nearly losing her mum on more than one occasion.
MIL could have waited until, she came back.

Gingster, enjoy your day out, you deserve it.

I too enjoy the tales from Malta. I hope Bellasnanna is OK.

Have a pleasant day folks.

yogitree Fri 09-Oct-26 08:19:16

Good morning everyone from 12 degrees central Scotland where it was very wet last night. I hope you are all finding something to look forward to over Autumn and planning for Winter activities to keep life interesting. Thinking of those not so mobile too, or suffering seasonal illnesses.
I am missing my TaiChi this morning as I have a nasty lung infection and acute asthma - been up coughing since 2.30 am so feeling a bit yucky about Friday fun being cancelled.

ginny Fri 09-Oct-26 08:17:50

Good morning from a damp dull N.Bucks. I’m very achy this morning , must be the weather.
Yesterday’s art class was brilliant and I am so pleased with the chalk pastel picture of our late springer spaniel. Maybe I will be a real artist one day😁
Today, a bit of housework and then a case to pack for a few days away.
Thinking of all who are poorly or troubled . Have the best day you can.

dragonfly46 Fri 09-Oct-26 08:15:51

Good morning from damp Leicestershire.

Today we are going to M&S as I need to take something back to Next. It will also involve having coffee out.
Later the cleaners are coming so the house will be slick and span for the weekend.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

hollysteers Fri 09-Oct-26 08:01:49

Good morning from a dull northwest coast. Flu jab yesterday and then a walk around the village, patronising some of our nice (more expensive) independent food shops. Olives, avocados, Wensleydale and cranberry cheese and pineapple jam. Had to give in as forgot something and galling to see some stuff in the supermarket cheaper, but don’t want the Miss Read experience to disappear. Actually had chats with proprietors!

Had brunch at down at heel but cosy cafe and strangely joined by two chaps on my table, when others were free. One was doing a crossword and the other with a novel by Rumer Godden. They chatted to me, recommending the homemade ginger wine (put in an order) and marrow and ginger jam (strange combination), which I duly bought.

Came home and feeling the effects of the jab, fell asleep for an eternity. Came round woozy, “Who am I?” “Where am I” “What year is it?”.

After a light supper, which included Wensleydale and cranberry cheese, I went to bed at 6pm. Very unusual.

Today another exciting day as I’m going on the train to the next village, hardly know it or where to park. It’s busy and more upmarket as it has a Waitrose, but beloved of footballers, which brings it down a notch. Will peek into their charity shop, but DO NOT NEED any more clothes. Particularly footballers’ wives.
Thoughts to all🌺

Georgesgran Fri 09-Oct-26 07:58:21

Good morning from Durham. Hours of rain overnight, but it’s a fresh, if breezy start to the day here.
I’m to collect DGS2 from school today, so I’m looking forward to that - he’s a little ray of sunshine. I’ll call in and see DGS1 on my way home later too. Might have Little Dog for the weekend, but might not.
harrigran I did that journey, twice a day for 14 years - it took over my life. The day DD2 passed her driving test, she drove herself to school after that and my sanity was restored!
Another hoping Bellas is ok.

Best wishes to all. X

Gagagran Fri 09-Oct-26 07:51:25

Good Morning everyone from a cloudy, damp but warm central south coast. We are set for more rain this afternoon according to the forecast.

Yesterday went according to plan. First on the list was my eye test at the opticians in the nearby town. I particularly wanted him to check that the huge black eye I had in the fall I had in June, hadn't done any damage to the eye. he was very reassuring and apart from a change in prescription in both eyes, I am doing well. He was a kind and charming Irish man and made the whole boring experience ("is it better with this, or this") amusing and much better than usual.

DH picked me up in the town centre so my hobbling was minimal and on the way home, we dropped off a bag of old but clean towels which had been taking up space in the hot cupboard for too long.. I had to empty it for the plumber last week so took the opportunity to do a reduction.

A quick lunch of omelettes made and DH shot off on his bike to meet his friend for an afternoon in the lovely sun riding on the South Downs.

I had time to draw breath then drove myself to the WI meeting in the next village. Loads of members turned up but NOT the speaker! She had cancelled at an hour's notice having decided it was too far to come. She lives in the heart of the New Forest and had assumed it was a shorter distance than it is. So, our resourceful president persuaded a long term member to give an ad lib talk about her experience as a chief nursing officer and lecturer. She was excellent and got a big round of applause. Some wag said "and we saved a £60"fee!

Home again, and DH had arrived back from his ride so came and reversed the car into the car port for me. I still find reversing uncomfortable as it involves twisting my left shoulder round more than it likes. To be frank, I have never liked reversing, nor has DD or many of my friends. We decided it must be to do with female anatomy.

Today, Tesco are due with a large stocking up order and DH is going to a cycle club meeting which may involve lunch out and maybe a ride, if the rain holds off. I am going to look for new glasses online.
Tomorrow we have our jabs booked and on Sunday DGD1 is coming to see us and for lunch at our across the road bistro.

Take care everyone and go safely if on the road. Best wishes for some improvement with health issues and have the best day you can GNs.

EkwaNimitee Fri 09-Oct-26 07:46:19

Good morning Mick and everyone from dark, damp Carlisle. It rained heavily all evening and was still doing so a short while ago.
I hope it has stopped for the day as I have to go into town, again....
Yesterday I went in to collect a regular prescription and to top up my fruit and veg. Today I have to collect another prescription. I have been so anxious about the very high BP and having to wait over week to see a practitioner that I rang 111 after lunch. Result...they contacted the surgery and arranged a telephone consultation with an actual doctor who rang at the end of the afternoon. The doc didn't think I should be waiting either and sent a prescription over to the pharmacy, and also reassured me that I wasn't going to imminently explode! I can exercise and even have a glass of wine with my dinner.
I don't want to be taking yet another drug but needs must.
I didn't think 111 were going to help at first as she said they only deal with symptoms and I don't have any. I wouldn't have known about the BP if I hadn't seen the nurse about my itchy ears and she'd done a routine BP check and asked me for another 7 days worth of readings.

I'd have gone off on a long haul touring holiday next week blissfully unaware and apparently it's risky to fly with uncontrolled BP due to cabin air pressures plus I'd have the stress of touring about in hot weather. Now I have to try and claim off the insurance company...

The rest of the day will be just tidying up and I need to sort out my nearly overflowing cupboard of tinned and bottled stuff, maybe actually eat some of it. And I've started another interesting book so I'll be relaxing with that too.

Another one here who hopes Bellasnana is ok and back soon.

Wishing you all a pleasant and fruitful day.

Gelisa Fri 09-Oct-26 07:43:30

Good morning from a breezy Morecambe Bay. The rain has stopped at least and the day is forecast to improve weather wise.
An indoor day of jobs is planned. A wheel on the shower door has broken so DH says he will investigate. That may be what I’m doing today too but that’s not my first choice activity!
Yesterday we walked round Tarn Hows in the Lake District. It’s a place often featured for its autumn colours but we have never managed to catch the display. We are usually too late but this year too early. Never mind it makes an enjoyable walk easy underfoot whatever the season.
Take care everyone.

RosesandLilac Fri 09-Oct-26 07:40:43

Good morning, it’s slightly damp here and windy, that’ll bring the leaves down from the beech and chestnut trees behind us. Our road was covered in beech masts when I walked the dogs yesterday afternoon.
I cleaned and tidied the house yesterday, very pleased with my efforts 🙄, then a friend came for coffee so a very pleasant end to the morning. I’ll take her to art group this morning.
I have my flu jab this afternoon, apparently I’m neither old enough or have enough illnesses to qualify for Covid jab this year (it seems random to me that lung cancer and heart failure don’t meet the criteria!) it means driving to the next village, no problem. DH’s is later this afternoon.
He collected his sister from hospital eventually yesterday, let’s just say it took longer/wasn’t where he said it would be etc. Despite being told she’d be ready at 3 it was after 7 before he left the hospital, absolutely ridiculous. He wasn’t happy to say the least.
I need to sort out my art materials to take today, and dig something out of the freezer for dinner.
I also need to collect my prescription from the surgery sometime.
Hope today goes well for you all x
🌹

Redcar Fri 09-Oct-26 07:23:19

Good morning everyone from a damp, breezy and very mild mid Essex. 15 degrees outside, and dark. I think it’s going to be a showery day.
I had my Covid jab yesterday and have a very stiff and achy arm, the other arm (where I had the flu jab) is less achy today fortunately.
Yesterday I defrosted the freezer in the garage, it hadn’t been done for two years.
Nothing planned for today but I need to contact my dentist as I have a broken tooth.

madeleine I hope you manage to get to meet your friends in Swaledale. If not, then I hope you get your winter clothes organised and In the wardrobe.

Thinking of those who are suffering in any way and hoping that life gets easier for you.

Have the best day possible everyone, with any plans made, successfully achieved. Friday already - where did this week disappear to?

Gingster Fri 09-Oct-26 07:19:34

Good morning and it’s dark but not as cold as yesterday, here in Essex.That wind was almost icy. We had the heating on last night.

We had a wassap msg from our Chiming leader to say her Dh had died very suddenly. 2 weeks ago he was cycling and playing tennis. He had lymphoma . Very sad for her and the family.

Today I’m off on a coach trip with one of my old pals to Brick Lane . An old church was made into a theatre years ago and the y out on lots of old time music hall shows.
Last Christmas other friends and I went and had a delicious Christmas dinner and watched the show afterwards. It was brilliant.
Today it’s an afternoon tea and show, so I’m hoping it will be as good.
Dd , bless her, will come and sit in with her dad. He’ll be cross and tell her to go, but she’ll potter around and get his lunch. She so patient and lovely to him, but he hates to be ‘babysat’.

The roof men are still working hard and should finish on Monday. Such nice, respectful men, no radio or loud talking , just getting on with the job .

Our handyman came to shave the bottom off the bedroom door. (New carpet) so another job jobbed.

Where is our Bella ?. Let us know you’re ok !
Take care all 🌻

harrigran Fri 09-Oct-26 07:18:18

Good morning from the NE where we had overnight rain.
I was in bed and asleep by 10.30 so was wide awake at 4.15.
I noticed DS was up and about so I sent him a good morning message, replied quickly what was the matter, nothing of course. He leaves before 7am to drive GD to school and then goes into the office.
He used to work mainly from home but it would take GD about an hour and a quarter to get to school on public transport and she has heavy bags and musical instruments to carry.
Will do some laundry and hopefully get it ironed too.
Have a good day.

brook2704 Fri 09-Oct-26 07:16:54

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s still dark but looks dry, there’s rain in the forecast for later.
Yesterday was a gorgeous autumn day, I met my friend for lunch and we had a really enjoyable afternoon, talked for ages
I’m off to the gym this morning and then a bit of shopping in town. I’ll do my usual routine of a riverside walk into town, browse the shops and then get the bus home.
Hoping Bellasnanna is ok
Hope everyone has the best day they can, take care all 💐

Marzipan22 Fri 09-Oct-26 07:14:26

Good morning from Cornwall where rain is on the agenda, yippee. At one point yesterday I sat in the low sun on my patio swing seat while this young blackbird waited to strip berries from the pyracantha behind me.

Today I must find somewhere that sells humane mouse traps as I think a small creature has ventured into my flat. After that I'm at an Arts Society lecture about Antony Gormley. I like his work so am looking forward to that. Then I'll walk to the bus stop via a beach in the rain.

I started making some half floral/half corduroy jeans yesterday so will push on with finishing those when I get home.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 09-Oct-26 07:11:42

Morning all from West Oxfordshire.

Younger son is coming for the weekend so I’ll pick him up this evening from Oxford.

I’ll sort his room out and make a spag Bol.

It will be good to see him. His last visit was in July.

Have a good day everyone, I hope all is well with Bellasnana.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 09-Oct-26 07:09:43

Good morning from N Surrey where the wind is mild and so far dry.
When I open the kitchen doors this weather straightaway takes me back to my first year in the senior school and walking to school in a still new winter uniform with a satchel and winter beret. The weather was similarly windy and mild. By the sea so always windy. I can remember being really happy.

Yesterday was a beautiful autumn sunshine day, but that wind was icy first thing. I caught the bus to our nearby largish town on a mission which I accomplished then had a pleasant mooch with coffee in MS.

Today feels warmer, but no sunshine and rain later. To London to meet DD2. Usually train and underground, but today I will bus back to the mainline station for a change and a more interesting view than underground.

I hope Bellasnana is OK. I enjoy reading her post from Malta.

GillyMo Fri 09-Oct-26 07:09:29

Good morning from a mild Herefordshire. Rain forecast for later.

No plans to go out today so after cleaning the house I plan to do some reading. Might also set up my puzzle table which I put away for Spring and Summer but now there's an autumnal feel to the weather I'm starting to crave doing a puzzle.
Happy Friday all.

Greyduster Fri 09-Oct-26 07:00:05

Good morning Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where it is 16 degrees and wet. Set to be a damp day.

Walking group yesterday saw us in the woods in glorious warm sunshine. There will be fewer of those balmy autumn days now so I was glad to make the most of it. Lunch and a catch up with DD and then home. I phoned my best friend in the evening to apologise for rather neglecting her since midsummer. We have arranged to get together next weekend.

School this afternoon but a short session with year 4, who are an easy group.

Have the best day you can, folks.

kittylester Fri 09-Oct-26 06:51:42

Good morning all from a damp North Leicestershire. I don't think it is currently raining but we had a lot overnight.

Normal Friday shop today - the butcher's, Waitrose and the egg farm. This afternoon a friend and I are going to the funeral of another friend. DH and I first met her when we bought her house in 1979. Burgerologist burgers for tea.