Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 8th October 2026

(72 Posts)
Michael12 Thu 08-Oct-26 04:51:37

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark but dry start here in Brackley this morning.
Today an early bus to Bicester have a coffee plus, then maybe a beer followed by a shop and speak to people I know.
Have heard from Neurology nurse at Churchill Oxford ,may have MRI scan in next few weeks, with maybe a surgery after.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

Sillymoo Thu 08-Oct-26 16:31:52

BlueSapphire

Madeleine have you tried calling your mobile from your house landline? That's what I do when I haven't a clue where it is.

If you have any Alexa you can say "Alexa, where's my phone" and "she" will ring you.

Greyduster Thu 08-Oct-26 14:44:42

Aggie I have a cousin living in Donegal - glorious part of the world! I envy him.

Susan56 Thu 08-Oct-26 13:51:31

Thank you Jax.xHope you managed to speak to/see the dentist?

Jaxjacky Thu 08-Oct-26 13:14:00

Better news Susan a human being 💐

Aldom Thu 08-Oct-26 13:13:57

grin Yes, of course!!
You're correct Gaga

Gagagran Thu 08-Oct-26 13:07:03

Wasn't the "ology" a BT ad. by Maureen Lipman?

Usedtobeblonde Thu 08-Oct-26 12:54:33

I have just caught up with this morning’s posts and what a lot of memories is brought to me.
My mother and I made the cloth rugs throughout the winter while listening to the radio , the new ones would go down after “SpringCleaning” which was always a big thing.
We were in the Lake District once and saw them for sale in a craft shop and couldn’t believe the price of them.
We made them for coppers from old clothes cut up.
Then came the Readicut wool ones. my friend at work, and this was in the 50’s, made them with her boyfriend and I remember one I admired which was a half moon shape to go in front of the fireplace, I think poppies were involved.
Another memory was sending postcards from holiday, we would go off with a list as it was a Nono to miss anyone out and I remember folk having notice boards in their kitchen with the postcards, some scenic, some very rude, pinned to it.
Some very nostalgic moments for me.

Susan56 Thu 08-Oct-26 12:45:12

Thank you Ekwa.x

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 12:11:44

I did wonder!

Aldom Thu 08-Oct-26 11:15:39

Marydoll

*Mick*, did you mean the Urology nurse, rather than Neurology?

I do hope you are not having neurological issues on top of everything else.

Yes he does grin

Urology is at the Churchill hospital.

I'm reminded of Ester Ransom and her monologue on Ologies. smile

aggie Thu 08-Oct-26 11:10:11

Good morning from a cold Co Armagh,
Walked up to Mass , nipped into Spar for milk and a few bits , no skimmed milk , assistant got me some from the store , I promptly dropped it as she passed it to me , she lifted it and gave it back to me
When I got home it was leaking ! I have decanted it into a clean container . I hope it doesn’t go sour , I have daughter and granddaughters till Sunday when I join them for a few days in Donegal
It’s quite nippy out but I’m resisting the dreaded switch on. !!
Wishing us all a pleasant day

EkwaNimitee Thu 08-Oct-26 10:55:17

Llfl it did sound rather bad saying you were on acid!

Lovely drawing hollysteers. Love the cat sleeping peacefully.

And Susan, sorry to read your news. I hope you get plenty of practical and emotional support going forward.

Redcar Thu 08-Oct-26 10:04:56

When my DH and I were engaged, we made two quite large rugs using the latch hook method. Quite bright colours, we used them for years, one is now rolled up in the loft, the other is on the floor in the spare bedroom. I still love them and don’t want to part with them!

Susan56 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:49:15

Thank you Mary.x

The surgery pharmacist has just phoned and was very reassuring.He agreed that the letter I received was very stark.The pharmacist and GP have devised a plan that makes more sense so I am feeling slightly better than I was earlier.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:44:46

Thinking of how this thread has evolved over the years, I for one very much enjoy its interaction and more ‘chatty’ format now.

latedecember1963 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:41:33

Have just had a quick read through your messages and it's made me realise how lucky I am to only be having to shift around inanimate objects. So many of you with health worries for yourselves or friends and family.
We'll be nearly 80 by the time the little chap reaches 18 and I do worry about the future sometimes.

Love the comment from your DGS, Glammagran! That's the sort of thing my YR children used to say. I do miss those classroom gems.

I hope Bellasnana is ok too.

EkWaNimitte, I'm horrified that 200 BP isn't being taken more seriously. Mine tends to hover around 140 and I'm told that's on the high side. Hope you can get an appointment very soon.

Love to you all. 🤗

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:40:22

Memories for me too about latch key rug making! It must’ve been ‘a thing’ in 1973 🤣

We sat side by side at my mum’s dining table to do our largish hearth rug. Looking back what was I thinking? It was white, purple and turquoise! I never remember putting it anywhere in our house when we bought one via the Abbey National the following year … 🫪

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 09:39:55

Mick, did you mean the Urology nurse, rather than Neurology?

I do hope you are not having neurological issues on top of everything else.

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 09:37:52

Ladyleftfieldlover

‘Alendronic’ acid!

I did laugh at that. 🤣

TheWeirdoAgain60 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:36:05

Good morning, Michael12 and all!

Michael12, I'll be thinking of you during the MRI and possible surgery. Best of luck!

Marzipan22. Your son is an excellent photographer. Robins are my favourite birds! Their little feet! Little beaks!

karmalady, the quilted top is beautiful!

It's freezing cold here today and a bit misty/foggy. Can see my breath coming from me. Being the weirdo I am, I had the bedroom window open again all night, letting it in! It was/is magnificent!

I didn't really have time yesterday morning to clean up the spilt milk and yoghurt before running to work, but as soon as I got home I scrubbed the carpet section with Vanish, then tipped Zoflora on it. The stain is barely noticeable now, and it pongs lovely!

I apologise totally for being so grumpy yesterday! I'd had about 1 1/2 hours' kip all night, then with the pain, crawlies, spillage AND Mr Creep!

But my funny dog t-shirt got customers laughing! Stanley the Rottie came in, so I immediately flopped on the floor. I was so exhausted from that bad night I could have easily nodded off with him lying on me! One day I'll ask his dad if I could borrow him for the night; I'd love him snuggled in bed with me!

I had nothing to eat all day, apart from the Fridge Raiders, so once I cleaned the carpet, I just guzzled a bottle of Bacardi Breezer Orange with 2 Paracetamol, made up 2 hot water bottles and fell into bed. This was about 6:00 pm, and then I stayed there until 6 this morning, ready for work. I only got up for loo trips, soft drinks and refilling the hot bottles!

I'm wearing this t-shirt today!

www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/men-s-t-shirt-graphic-print-tops-street-chic-exaggerated-white_p8101850.html?_gl=1*15hxtkk*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjw_pzWBhAkEiwAwDCi1XuPqWwOkzpRs-sN7jLSxx6GtOwT_aANKD1OZBrsoXk2NSw5ksA-IBoCw6IQAvD_BwE&gbraid=0AAAAAD7vwYeHofb7sf3_GL_kskMSi738o

Have a good one, all of you!

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 08-Oct-26 09:34:17

‘Alendronic’ acid!

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 08-Oct-26 09:32:25

Morning all from a slightly chilly West Oxfordshire. I’m afraid OH is talking about putting the CH on! When I suggest putting another jumper on he isn’t amused.

Today will consist mainly of ironing and sewing. This afternoon I will listen to a V&A talk on zoom - Grace Coddington in conversation. Years ago elder son bought me her biography. A very nice interesting woman who worked at Vogue.

OH is still disinfecting the bee hives which had some sort of bug which killed off a lot of his bees. I bought him 8 x 2 litre bottles of bleach and he says he needs more!

Have a good day and commiserations to those of you with dental and other problems. I have a memory from a couple of years ago when I needed a molar out at the hospital. I was on acid so my dentist couldn’t do it. The tooth had to be removed in pieces and stitches were involved! Fortunately the dental surgeon kept the various implements out of my sight.

karmalady Thu 08-Oct-26 09:22:53

GillyMo

Ooh karmalady I love that top, you really are talented. I've seen some lovely Christmas fabric on Pound fabrics, just need to decide what to do with it!

Haha, I empathise, thats me, stash first then find a pattern but once I do find a pattern, I am itching to get going so I never stash the fabrics until I have pre-washed them

karmalady Thu 08-Oct-26 09:20:11

Ooh Gingster a latch kit, how nice and that brings back so many memories of togetherness. Young me and my sisters taking turns at making rag rugs to go on the cold lino-covered floor

Later in life, me and dh making a wool rug from readicut and finally just me making smaller wool rug. All the rugs went a long time ago but really this was a lovely and calming meditative hobby

latedecember1963 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:16:56

Good morning everyone from a sunny Lancashire.

I haven't had chance to read any messages yet but hopefully will catch up later. Life is hectic here but we're doing ok.
The house is looking more and more minimalist each day as I keep having to remove/hide things that aren't safe for or could be broken by the little chap.
Trouble is I'm rapidly running out of high cupboard space! I keep telling myself it's just a phase.

I'll love you and leave you but wish you all the best day possible, especially those not feeling so great at the moment. 🌻