Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 8th October 2026

(72 Posts)
Michael12 Thu 08-Oct-26 04:51:37

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark but dry start here in Brackley this morning.
Today an early bus to Bicester have a coffee plus, then maybe a beer followed by a shop and speak to people I know.
Have heard from Neurology nurse at Churchill Oxford ,may have MRI scan in next few weeks, with maybe a surgery after.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

baubles Thu 08-Oct-26 08:01:29

Good morning from cool and dry South Lanarkshire.

We had a change of routine yesterday and went to DS’s house in the evening to look after the children so we won’t be going today. The drive back was horrendous as the motorway was closed for a long stretch, in the end we drove all the way back on twisty A roads.

. I’ve hardly eaten all week since my tooth was extracted, just Greek yoghurt or tepid soup. I’m being super careful not to dislodge the clot.

My cupboards are bare though so a supermarket shop is on the agenda.

Wishing everyone a good day.

EkwaNimitee Thu 08-Oct-26 08:03:22

Good morning Mick and everyone from sunny but chilly Carlisle where it is 4°C.
Yesterday was a quiet day of admin and some ironing.
I had an unsatisfactory call with the surgery. When I saw the nurse on Monday re my kidney infection, I showed her my 7 days worth of routine BP measurements which were high. To be told they had to be consistently around 200 before they took action. I have continued measuring this week because I wasn't happy with that attitude. BP is even higher! I guess my anxiety is contributing but still...
So I rang the surgery to request an appointment with a doctor, quoting the high results. No dice! Triaging doc offering appointment with advanced practitioner (is that an 'almost doctor'?). I didn't speak with him but with the receptionist who offered an appointment a fortnight hence. I was gobsmacked! I managed to get one slightly earlier but didn't succeed in getting to see an actual doctor. After all the fuss the NHS seems to make about the importance of checking your BP ....I'm seriously tempted to call 111 for advice.

Enough of that, I shall keep calm and carry on by going into town to collect the various pills I already require plus visit M&S food hall. Then it will be a quiet day of admin and reading, I daren't go out and get physical in the garden.

Lovely photo Marzipan, that robin is a little poseur!

Have a good day everyone if you can and better times if you can't.

harrigran Thu 08-Oct-26 08:06:24

Good morning from a dry NE where it is 5° with a high of 13° expected this afternoon.
DS arrived at 12.30 yesterday and we had lunch together before he went off to work in the study.
We made the decision to drive to the school concert, the traffic was horrendous and the standard of driving appalling. The next time it will be parking out of town and metro journey.
The concert was amazing, so much musical talent, 32 acts performed and of course GD's piano solo was beautiful.
Nothing planned for today so will have a quiet one.
Have a good day.

Gagagran Thu 08-Oct-26 08:08:59

Glamma as you will not be surprised to hear, yes, our car is manual which is why I couldn't drive as changing gear was impossible. I was warned that rotator cuff injuries take a long time and often leave nerve damage which has to just be lived with. That seems to be my case and sounds like yours too! Sympathy!

brook2704 Thu 08-Oct-26 08:11:40

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s a dry bright start to the day
Aww lovely photo marzipan
A quieter day ahead although I’m off out later for lunch with my friend, it’ll probably be a long afternoon as we’ll do some shopping afterwards. DH will go to his regular Thursday morning at the Men’s Shed, he’s enjoying the friendship and projects there
Enjoy your art class later grandmabatty
Hoping everyone has the best day they can, take care all 💐

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 08-Oct-26 08:11:53

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where its dry and 4°C and sun right now with a high of 14°C forecast for later.

I’m taking my stepfather to an optician appointment late morning. I’ve pre booked a taxi and will pick him up then back here to our independent optician. His sight has deteriorated so much that he can no longer read a newspaper, so his days are very long. He says everything is misty. And I’ve been concerned about him tripping up due to his lack of vision.

I Googled (of course I did) and this could be eminently treatable and very easily too. He had cataracts done in both eyes but apparently ‘secondary cataracts’ can develop so 🤞 for him today.

monk08 Thu 08-Oct-26 08:13:50

Good morning all it's a sunny start here in the Black country, NannyJan you should get your washing dry.
Yesterday's toddlers was busy a nearby toddler group has closed and many have come along to ours.
Today just a local Aldi shop and out for a meal later.
Hope you find your phone Madeleine
Have the best day you can everyone whatever your plans.😎

Gingster Thu 08-Oct-26 08:15:27

Good morning and the ch has come on for the first time.
Don’t really need it but it will go off at 8.30. I’m just having tea and a crumpet thin while I read Madeleine’s news. I’ll have my porridge after the dog walk.

Yesterday it rained from 10.30 for the rest of the day. Not heavy but persistent. Our poor roof chaps were soaked. They have proper wet gear so are used to it. Another couple of days and it should be done.

The tall trees over by the station are being cut down. I love watching them and seeing how the wind is affecting them. Two remain, but I fear they’ll be gone today.

I like to have a craft project on the go and I picked up my crochet bag but had no motivation for it, so having seen latch hook kits I’ve started a Christmas .
When Dh and I were engaged we spent many happy evenings hooking two hearthside rugs which we kept for years. I wish we still had them. So, doing this little cushion has brought back memories. Dh has no intention of helping with this! 😂.

In our de cluttering I’ve found several items from DH’s childhood. One is a postcard he sent to his friend B when they were 7 years old. Some of it saying ‘I have an icecream nearly every day and we dance every night’ (he’s always hated dancing 😅). It ended with him writing ‘lots of love from Vinnie’. How sweet is that! B is his friend who takes him out each week for lunch and I showed him the card yesterday. They were both quite emotional. They’re both 77 now.

Well I’m rambling again so I’ll just say have a lovely day and hope all poorlies feel on the up! 🌻

dragonfly46 Thu 08-Oct-26 08:21:33

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

Yesterday the lawn was treated and as it had rained I didn’t need to water it.

Today I was going to take something back to Next but as it is market day it will be busy so will wait until tomorrow.
This afternoon we are visiting a friend who broke her hip in a fall. She is 86 but doing well.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Susan56 Thu 08-Oct-26 08:23:25

Good morning from Shropshire.A chill in the air this morning but not needing the heating on yet🤞🏻

A mixed day yesterday.Had some rubbish health news in a very stark letter.I felt very upset as I feel too young for all these issues.My mum was twenty years older than me when her health started to deteriorate although my dear dad was five years younger than me when he died😞Everything I have been advised to do I already do so🤷‍♀️I have a few quiet days to mull things over.Nothing I can do really but just need things clear in my mind moving forward.

I enjoyed a lovely few hours with DGD yesterday evening.She is such a joy to me and her company was just what I needed.When we dropped her off we collected the little dog as they are going away.

I hope Bellasnana is alright.

I love the photo Marzipan.

Thinking of all our mountaineers and wishing everyone a good day🦩🌻

hollysteers Thu 08-Oct-26 08:28:37

Good morning from Sunnyside Sandhills northwest coast.
Bedroom and porch measured up yesterday for redecoration.
FaceTime with flying DD in the south who was very tired by a week of early starts.

I didn’t go to the opera co. rehearsal in the evening as I have done too much singing in the last few days and felt tired. It’s not on my doorstep either.

The cat is delighted as I have finished the box of Lidl’s own make, which didn’t impress her and she’s now back to her tasty Felix (at more expense).
I’m off for my flu jab soon and here’s a sketch from my armchair.
Thoughts to all🌺

Grammaretto Thu 08-Oct-26 08:42:15

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where there's the first frost -the lawn is white.

I went to Peebles yesterday for essential shopping and a walk along the Tweed in the sunshine. Autumn is so pretty.
Thanks for the robin Marzipan

Yoga this morning and ceilidh dancing tonight. At least that's the plan. 😊

Sorry you have more health worries Michael

Take it easy gMattie, Baubles. and R&L.

Lovely drawing Holly

Wishing you all a very happy day.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 08-Oct-26 08:48:39

Oh glammagran ‘out of the mouths of babes’ eh? But it did make me laugh!

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 08:54:36

Good morning all from Glasgow, where it is only 4°C, .

I have just lost my post! Grr.

Madeleine, have yo used Find my phone ? It worked, when I lost mine. It revealed, it was in the church safe, when I searched from home.
Just type in, : Find my phone on Google. You will need your Google password.

I am still in bed, with a hot water bottle on my knee and one in my hip.
DH says I was calling out in pain during the night, I thought I had been dreaming.

Yesterday, I managed to get a few chores done, but I had frequent rests.

In the afternoon, I had a check up on the extraction of six weeks ago.
The gum has been excruciatingly painful and the plate difficult to remove.
Apparently, a bone fragment has remained in the extraction site, hence the extreme pain.
If it doesn't settle in the next few weeks, I will need surgery at the dental hospital,
Also, I have a black speck on my gum, which the dentist is keeping an eye on. Some amalgam from a very old filling has moved into the gum.
I dislike going to the dentist at the best of times!

The other problem was the plate. Once in, I couldn't get it out. The dentist was sceptical, until she tried it. She has now shaved a bit off. Another problem solved.

Today, I plan to potter about.
I am really struggling and have a niggling feeling, that my heart issues are about flare up.
On top of that, I have numbness in my finger tips and toes. It is so irritating.

Despite letting my fellow parishioners know, I was having a break from parish admin this week, due to my ill health, my stalker is still hassling me.
No point in asking the P.P to intervene, he hides when he sees her coming and ignores her demanding emails

I have been nagging DH for months about changing his NTL email account, because Virgin are closing them down. He has totally ignored me, but is now panicking and has asked me to help him today. The bank accounts have NTL addresses.
My BP will be through the roof, by lunchtime. 🤭

GMB, our schools are off for only a week here. The LA are using the quieter roads to resurface those near the schools. It is an absolute nightmare.
We live on the border with another LA, they have temporary traffic lights near the closed roads. Chaos reigns.
Do they never liaise other?

GM, perhaps a check up is required to see if there is an underlying cause of your persistant fatigue.

I wish you all a pleasant day and best wishes to my fellow mountaineers.

Grandmabatty Thu 08-Oct-26 08:54:57

Susan I'm sorry you had worrying health news. I know what that is like! Have a virtual hug from me. 🤗

Susan56 Thu 08-Oct-26 08:57:53

Thank you Grandmabatty.x

Jaxjacky Thu 08-Oct-26 08:59:02

Morning from a chilly, sunny S Hants. A rotten night but pain free now, very tired, I’ll ring dentist anyway.
I understand the food baubles it’s tedious, I’ve lost a few lbs, good luck x

GillyMo Thu 08-Oct-26 09:09:17

Ooh karmalady I love that top, you really are talented. I've seen some lovely Christmas fabric on Pound fabrics, just need to decide what to do with it!

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 09:09:50

Susan ♥️

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 09:12:18

Susan, when we are chronically sick, what we need more than anything, is a handhold. I am offering one.

Doctors don't really do this and often communications are blunt. X

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:13:37

Aw how sweet was that to find that little card Gingster and for the men now 77 to be able to read it and share memories of that time in their lives! Quite poignant. Good to keep it in a drawer to hand now.

My neighbour (widowed in May quite suddenly) was doing some sorting and came across a letter her partner had posted to her some 30 years ago. Beautiful cursive handwriting and such a lovely message, short but very sweet.

I suggested she frame it so she can have the joy of it and she has done so, putting on ‘his’ side of the bed and said she’s delighted at my suggestion it pleases her greatly to see it there.
🥰

latedecember1963 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:16:56

Good morning everyone from a sunny Lancashire.

I haven't had chance to read any messages yet but hopefully will catch up later. Life is hectic here but we're doing ok.
The house is looking more and more minimalist each day as I keep having to remove/hide things that aren't safe for or could be broken by the little chap.
Trouble is I'm rapidly running out of high cupboard space! I keep telling myself it's just a phase.

I'll love you and leave you but wish you all the best day possible, especially those not feeling so great at the moment. 🌻

karmalady Thu 08-Oct-26 09:20:11

Ooh Gingster a latch kit, how nice and that brings back so many memories of togetherness. Young me and my sisters taking turns at making rag rugs to go on the cold lino-covered floor

Later in life, me and dh making a wool rug from readicut and finally just me making smaller wool rug. All the rugs went a long time ago but really this was a lovely and calming meditative hobby

karmalady Thu 08-Oct-26 09:22:53

GillyMo

Ooh karmalady I love that top, you really are talented. I've seen some lovely Christmas fabric on Pound fabrics, just need to decide what to do with it!

Haha, I empathise, thats me, stash first then find a pattern but once I do find a pattern, I am itching to get going so I never stash the fabrics until I have pre-washed them

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 08-Oct-26 09:32:25

Morning all from a slightly chilly West Oxfordshire. I’m afraid OH is talking about putting the CH on! When I suggest putting another jumper on he isn’t amused.

Today will consist mainly of ironing and sewing. This afternoon I will listen to a V&A talk on zoom - Grace Coddington in conversation. Years ago elder son bought me her biography. A very nice interesting woman who worked at Vogue.

OH is still disinfecting the bee hives which had some sort of bug which killed off a lot of his bees. I bought him 8 x 2 litre bottles of bleach and he says he needs more!

Have a good day and commiserations to those of you with dental and other problems. I have a memory from a couple of years ago when I needed a molar out at the hospital. I was on acid so my dentist couldn’t do it. The tooth had to be removed in pieces and stitches were involved! Fortunately the dental surgeon kept the various implements out of my sight.