Gransnet forums

Chat

Are terrorist causes ever right?

(50 Posts)
Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 19:51:36

As suggested, I am starting a new thread.

This is not intended to downplay any terrorism act, against anyone, ever.

I was brought up as a C of E Christian, my DH as strict catholic.

Neither of us value “formal” religion at this point of our lives.

Me, simply because so many terrible things appear to happen in the name of “god”. My DH because he went to an all boys grammar school run by “barbaric”, (his words), Jesuit priests.

Anyway, my husband was born in the Republic of Ireland, in what was a tiny village (at the time) on the coast, just outside of Dublin.

His history, many relatives on both maternal and paternal side.

There is still ill feeling in some of the elders, towards the English, for very good reasons.

Do they support the IRA, absolutely not, do they understand them, yes.

I was brought up by very historically and politically aware parents, both my biological father and adoptive father were in the British Army and my mother, until married served in the Women’s Army.

I was horrified as I got older to realise that there were people in the world who were holocaust deniers. I simply couldn’t understand this, nor could I (or can I now) understand why the Jews were/are so persecuted.

However, I did also learn that it was not just Jews who were targeted by the Nazi’s, though they were very much the majority.

I understand why Israel was created and why Jews were given a place of their own.

However, if you do know your history, you’ll also know that since WW2, various Israeli governments wanted the remainder of Palestine for themselves.

I’m very aware I’m simplifying this.

So I guess what I’m saying is this, I utterly condemn the violence shown by both the IRA and Hamas, I condemn that their “tactics” include bombing, killing, torturing, kidnapping totally innocent people.

However, whilst I’ll never ever condone or understand their actions, perhaps I do understand their cause.

Does that make me a terrorist supporter, I like to think not, nor a “sympathiser”, but it does me ponder about the “why”, from every side.

I cannot support what is currently happening in Gaza (and many other countries).

I’m truly sorry if that makes anyone angry or sad or frightened.

I’m not anti Semitic and I hope no one here will consider me so. thanks

Oreo Fri 09-Oct-26 22:33:47

If you kill or injure people for your cause then you’re a terrorist.
It doesn’t matter if you think you’re cause is right or not.

petra Fri 09-Oct-26 21:43:22

nanna8

Yes - the Nazis were the government at the time and definitely terrorists. I was also thinking of the Khmer Rouge, horrible oppressive terrorists.

The Khmer Rouge weren’t classed as terrorists as they were the ruling party. But they certainly spread terror.

MawsRosie Fri 09-Oct-26 21:33:17

Yesterday's terrorist may be today's freedom fighter...
and tomorrow's ruling power...
It depends whose side you are on.

Galaxy Fri 09-Oct-26 21:01:45

Thats a lovely thing to say dickens, I feel safe now grin

Dickens Fri 09-Oct-26 20:30:44

PS... anyway, who could possibly want to harm our Galaxy - the only one we have who puts a spoke in every wheel to make sure it never just... wheels wink

Dickens Fri 09-Oct-26 20:25:36

Galaxy

I am terrified of anyone who understands them, sorry cossy. It is probably because I know they would kill me.

Understanding the cause of terrorists doesn't mean sympathising with the brutality of their terrorism.

I 'understood' the IRA, but never sympathised with their actions.

I think there's a huge difference between recognising what injustices might have brought about the formation of a terrorist group - and agreeing, or sympathising, with the methods they choose to combat them. Simply because ultimately, your brutality will match the brutality of your oppressor.

Maremia Fri 09-Oct-26 19:56:45

My phone must have deleted a few posts, David, because I can't see how you developed that comment.
Would you be kind enough to explain?

Cossy Fri 09-Oct-26 18:43:21

I do really really hate Farage and all he represents. Would I set his house on fire or damage any other of his property or threaten to kill him or harm his family?

Absolutely not, for many reasons.

If I saw someone I did not know beating a dog or their child or their wife, would my first instinct be to go in guns blazing with a big stick? Yes, would I do it? No, I’d phone the police and shout a lot!

Cossy Fri 09-Oct-26 18:39:55

David49

So if you set fire to a building supporting your cause and family dies that’s OK

No not really.

However, is it right that some “cases” are totally ignored, men simply didn’t think women “worth” or “intelligent” to have a vote or even to have their own bank account.

What if everything else fails? What then? Just sit back and your lot?

David49 Fri 09-Oct-26 17:02:26

Maremia

Allegedly, David, they checked first, to make sure the buildings were empty, and so your point fails.

So if you really hated Farage for example it's OK to kill or maim him, because thats what happens when control is lost.

foxie48 Fri 09-Oct-26 16:45:28

Menachem Begin (Israel), Jomo Kenyatta (Kenya) and Nelson Mandela (S. Africa) were all considered to be terrorists but they all went on to become leaders of their country. They were all accepted by the British government, visited the UK and Mandela and Kenyatta both had audiences with the late Queen.

Maremia Fri 09-Oct-26 16:36:41

That is a very moving video, Wyllow, thanks.

Maremia Fri 09-Oct-26 16:35:58

Allegedly, David, they checked first, to make sure the buildings were empty, and so your point fails.

David49 Fri 09-Oct-26 16:33:59

So if you set fire to a building supporting your cause and family dies that’s OK

Maremia Fri 09-Oct-26 16:31:27

Was just about to post the same, Magenta8, but the detail that is different, about the Sufragettes, is that they targeted buildings, and not people.
I think that is a crucial difference.

David49 Fri 09-Oct-26 13:12:26

Magenta8

It has long been up for debate whether the campaign by the WSPU - Women's Social and Political Union (the militant wing of the NUWSS - National Union of Women's Suffrage Societies) could be considered to be terrorism.

A campaign of arson and bombing of politicians' homes, churches, railway stations and letter bombs was undertaken from 1912 to 1914. The stated aim was to attack buildings and not people. The campaign ended with the start of WWI.

I remember, back in the 1970s, talking to an old lady who told me she took part. She had posted a few lit fire crackers into pillar boxes around London.

Were their actions acts of terrorism? Did the aim justify the means?

Whatever the cause if the act results in the injury or death of the police or any other person should the "terrorist" be punished

Magenta8 Thu 08-Oct-26 15:06:09

It has long been up for debate whether the campaign by the WSPU - Women's Social and Political Union (the militant wing of the NUWSS - National Union of Women's Suffrage Societies) could be considered to be terrorism.

A campaign of arson and bombing of politicians' homes, churches, railway stations and letter bombs was undertaken from 1912 to 1914. The stated aim was to attack buildings and not people. The campaign ended with the start of WWI.

I remember, back in the 1970s, talking to an old lady who told me she took part. She had posted a few lit fire crackers into pillar boxes around London.

Were their actions acts of terrorism? Did the aim justify the means?

Whingey Thu 08-Oct-26 09:32:06

Ideas as well.someons went to psychiatrist and spent 40 years saying she would never get old and die and she could live without eating!

Whingey Thu 08-Oct-26 09:29:06

for putting immoral ideas in people'sheads.stupid i

Whingey Thu 08-Oct-26 09:27:19

Surprised when the website what books were burnt in W W2 Germany said Sigmund Freud

Whitewavemark2 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:15:22

David49

Certainly many governments rule by terror and oppress those that disagree but they don't plant bombs and kidnap innocent civilians. In the end one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, Mandela was a freedom fighter, the ANC certainly did carry out terrorist acts and still oppresses those that disagree.

Unfortunately I can give many examples of states doing just that. The most recent being the schools completely wiped out with their pupils by the USA and Israel.

eazybee Thu 08-Oct-26 09:07:06

My understanding is that Nelson Mandela was originally imprisoned because he refused to renounce the use of violence and he was considered a terrorist. Later it was blamed on his wife Winnie, but I do not know how accurate that was.

eazybee Thu 08-Oct-26 06:15:57

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist; it is the methods they use to achieve their aims which differentiates them.

David49 Thu 08-Oct-26 05:45:26

Certainly many governments rule by terror and oppress those that disagree but they don't plant bombs and kidnap innocent civilians. In the end one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, Mandela was a freedom fighter, the ANC certainly did carry out terrorist acts and still oppresses those that disagree.

nanna8 Thu 08-Oct-26 01:40:35

Yes - the Nazis were the government at the time and definitely terrorists. I was also thinking of the Khmer Rouge, horrible oppressive terrorists.