Gransnet forums

Chat

Are terrorist causes ever right?

(67 Posts)
Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 19:51:36

As suggested, I am starting a new thread.

This is not intended to downplay any terrorism act, against anyone, ever.

I was brought up as a C of E Christian, my DH as strict catholic.

Neither of us value “formal” religion at this point of our lives.

Me, simply because so many terrible things appear to happen in the name of “god”. My DH because he went to an all boys grammar school run by “barbaric”, (his words), Jesuit priests.

Anyway, my husband was born in the Republic of Ireland, in what was a tiny village (at the time) on the coast, just outside of Dublin.

His history, many relatives on both maternal and paternal side.

There is still ill feeling in some of the elders, towards the English, for very good reasons.

Do they support the IRA, absolutely not, do they understand them, yes.

I was brought up by very historically and politically aware parents, both my biological father and adoptive father were in the British Army and my mother, until married served in the Women’s Army.

I was horrified as I got older to realise that there were people in the world who were holocaust deniers. I simply couldn’t understand this, nor could I (or can I now) understand why the Jews were/are so persecuted.

However, I did also learn that it was not just Jews who were targeted by the Nazi’s, though they were very much the majority.

I understand why Israel was created and why Jews were given a place of their own.

However, if you do know your history, you’ll also know that since WW2, various Israeli governments wanted the remainder of Palestine for themselves.

I’m very aware I’m simplifying this.

So I guess what I’m saying is this, I utterly condemn the violence shown by both the IRA and Hamas, I condemn that their “tactics” include bombing, killing, torturing, kidnapping totally innocent people.

However, whilst I’ll never ever condone or understand their actions, perhaps I do understand their cause.

Does that make me a terrorist supporter, I like to think not, nor a “sympathiser”, but it does me ponder about the “why”, from every side.

I cannot support what is currently happening in Gaza (and many other countries).

I’m truly sorry if that makes anyone angry or sad or frightened.

I’m not anti Semitic and I hope no one here will consider me so. thanks

Basgetti Sat 10-Oct-26 09:17:24

greyfur16

I think Nelson Mandela was a terrorist possibly?

Could equally argue that the apartheid government and police were terrorist organisations 🤷‍♀️

Oreo Sat 10-Oct-26 09:20:17

Awful as the appartheid government of SA were and the police could be, I don’t think it’s possible to call them terrorists.

Basgetti Sat 10-Oct-26 09:24:14

I imagine black South Africans of the time might disagree.

Grantanow Sat 10-Oct-26 09:29:10

It's whether the ends justify the means.

MT62 Sat 10-Oct-26 10:44:21

Yesterday I watched Tousi tv, watched with absolute horror as what Hamas did on that just sickening.
A lot of politics, too much to go into on here.
If you watched it, people who support that regime on the left, you know the young leftist students, those ‘queers for Palestine’ brigade. It might just change your tune

MT62 Sat 10-Oct-26 10:44:56

MT62

Yesterday I watched Tousi tv, watched with absolute horror as what Hamas did on that just sickening.
A lot of politics, too much to go into on here.
If you watched it, people who support that regime on the left, you know the young leftist students, those ‘queers for Palestine’ brigade. It might just change your tune

Oct 7th RIP

MT62 Sat 10-Oct-26 10:49:26

At the time I didn’t blame Netanyahu for going after Hamas all guns blazing as they needed to be stamped out.
Yes I agree he’s maybe gone too far now.
It’s incredibly sad for both sides

Cossy Sat 10-Oct-26 10:50:12

Oreo

Awful as the appartheid government of SA were and the police could be, I don’t think it’s possible to call them terrorists.

It’s all about context and one’s views.

My own DH was utterly convinced Nelson Mandela was a terrorist.

It’s an interesting topic, because I guess one’s benefits are much formed based on whose “side” you’re on.

paddyann54 Sat 10-Oct-26 10:55:04

MT62Israeli governments and the vile IDF have been doing these very things to the peoples of Palestine ,including Christian’s since the Nakba.
Not content to have a homeland they have burned robbed and murdered since 1948 !,All in an attempt to keep moving boundaries they believe they think they have “rights” to.Beggars belief that people who suffered so much during and before WW11 are treating others in the same way .
Why have we stood and watched ?
WHO will Israel bomb next ?

Cossy Sat 10-Oct-26 10:57:28

MT62

Yesterday I watched Tousi tv, watched with absolute horror as what Hamas did on that just sickening.
A lot of politics, too much to go into on here.
If you watched it, people who support that regime on the left, you know the young leftist students, those ‘queers for Palestine’ brigade. It might just change your tune

In terms of Israel/Palestine, very few who support Gaza, support Hamas.

Our two youngest daughters both support Gaza, they are also gay, well educated, politically aware, compassionate and humane human beings.

They are not anti semitic nor do they support Hamas.

AGAA4 Sat 10-Oct-26 10:57:36

MT62

At the time I didn’t blame Netanyahu for going after Hamas all guns blazing as they needed to be stamped out.
Yes I agree he’s maybe gone too far now.
It’s incredibly sad for both sides

maybe gone too far Over 70000 killed. More maimed many children.
Yes he has maybe gone too far and keeps going.

Cossy Sat 10-Oct-26 10:58:14

paddyann54

*MT62*Israeli governments and the vile IDF have been doing these very things to the peoples of Palestine ,including Christian’s since the Nakba.
Not content to have a homeland they have burned robbed and murdered since 1948 !,All in an attempt to keep moving boundaries they believe they think they have “rights” to.Beggars belief that people who suffered so much during and before WW11 are treating others in the same way .
Why have we stood and watched ?
WHO will Israel bomb next ?

👏👏👏👏👏👏

Oreo Sat 10-Oct-26 11:51:25

Cossy

MT62

Yesterday I watched Tousi tv, watched with absolute horror as what Hamas did on that just sickening.
A lot of politics, too much to go into on here.
If you watched it, people who support that regime on the left, you know the young leftist students, those ‘queers for Palestine’ brigade. It might just change your tune

In terms of Israel/Palestine, very few who support Gaza, support Hamas.

Our two youngest daughters both support Gaza, they are also gay, well educated, politically aware, compassionate and humane human beings.

They are not anti semitic nor do they support Hamas.

I beg to differ.
Nothing to do with your own family who you know the views of, but very many in this country definitely support hamas and what they did on October 7th.
Just days later they were out celebrating and protesting about Israel on our streets.
It’s no good having a cosy view of some people living in the UK or even UK citizens.
Apart from Israel they are equally anti-US and antisemitic.

MT62 Sat 10-Oct-26 11:57:43

To be fair Cossy I am going to follow up with reading up on their history also.
Apart from the Oct7th, I don’t know too much about either side.
All I know religion has a lot to answer for.
I know about that as my parents were Scottish, of a mixed religion, The flack they got for that at the time was unbelievable.

MT62 Sat 10-Oct-26 12:01:12

We were down in London for a show not long after that atrocity.
Those hostages photos stuck up all over, were defaced, on the floor- I was disgusted. I’ve never been back to London since.

MT62 Sat 10-Oct-26 12:06:18

Not well educated enough Cossy to realise being gay is a big no, no in that country.
Queers for Palestine, would more than likely be flung off a roof, or stoned to death.
Although they would be welcome in Israel.