Gransnet forums

Chat

Karl Bushby, finally due to complete his 28 year journey home.

(22 Posts)
JenniRen Fri 09-Oct-26 10:51:14

As a child with dyslexia, Karl was bullied at school and became someone who preferred nature to people.
Some people are driven by an ambition, a dream, a need to push themselves to the limits, monami. It is a need to prove to themselves that they can achieve what may seem to be impossible to others.

sodapop
I don't think he was walking all the time, I read that he actually lived in Mexico and walked intermittently. Think he picked up where he left off each time. Can't remember where I read it now
During Covid, where he couldn't walk far or cross borders.

Well done, Karl Bushby.

Doodledog Fri 09-Oct-26 10:30:33

How do you know that, monami? I'm always interested to learn how people feel they can see into others' minds, but nobody ever comes back to explain when I ask them.

I tend to assume that they must be reflecting their own thought processes onto others, but I can't be sure of that.

monami Fri 09-Oct-26 09:21:19

He did it for self glory

monami Fri 09-Oct-26 09:20:26

And what exactly was the point of it ?

Sago Fri 09-Oct-26 09:04:18

sarahcyn

Is there a) a documentary and b) a map?

At the moment this is the best I can find, he will no doubt be very busy doing interviews after he’s had a catch up with his Mum!

karlbushby.world/

JenniRen Thu 08-Oct-26 23:08:58

sodapop

I don't think he was walking all the time, I read that he actually lived in Mexico and walked intermittently. Think he picked up where he left off each time. Can't remember where I read it now.

There were problems on more than one occasion with his USA visa (not unexpected!) as it seems to happen to so many people.

JenniRen Thu 08-Oct-26 23:05:46

I think there will be a book. Perhaps then there will be a film!

sarahcyn Thu 08-Oct-26 22:47:36

Is there a) a documentary and b) a map?

sodapop Thu 08-Oct-26 21:39:42

I don't think he was walking all the time, I read that he actually lived in Mexico and walked intermittently. Think he picked up where he left off each time. Can't remember where I read it now.

SueDonim Thu 08-Oct-26 17:49:11

My brother didn’t do anything quite as adventurous as this but he spent a number of his youthful years sculling around in various countries. He’s now almost 70 and living on a pittance because he didn’t make any pension provision. Minimal state pension and he still works PT, plus depends on the generosity of a friend to put a roof over his head with a low rent. Any hope of a small inheritance from our mother has gone in her care home fees.

I hope this chap had made more provision than that!

Sago Thu 08-Oct-26 16:40:22

4allweknow

Any info on how he has supported himself over the 28 years. Suppose he found work in some countries but imagine that could be very difficult in some places.

His family helped initially then he got sponsorship.

4allweknow Thu 08-Oct-26 14:15:30

Any info on how he has supported himself over the 28 years. Suppose he found work in some countries but imagine that could be very difficult in some places.

WoodLane7 Thu 08-Oct-26 14:03:37

Sago

I have been following Karl Bushby for some time, he is from my home City.
For 28 years he has been walking around the world, he has crossed, the Bering Strait, deserts and swam oceans as part of this arduous journey.
He is now on British soil and walking the final leg home, his Mum says she will be waiting at the gate.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cp8rd3n80j4o

Hello from a fellow Hullensian (albeit I now live in the West Midlands), yes also been following Karl's amazing journey

Jojo1950 Thu 08-Oct-26 13:52:32

Wonderful challenge. So glad he made it home safe to his family. 💐

Visgir1 Wed 07-Oct-26 14:03:53

Impressive... A real life "Forest Gump" he must have lots of stories to tell. Hope he kept a diary.

MayBee70 Wed 07-Oct-26 13:56:26

I used to read all of Ffyona Campbells books back in the day. I’m fascinated by people who do these long distance walks but must admit to not knowing about Karl till I read about him yesterday.

Doodledog Wed 07-Oct-26 10:56:55

Sarnia

^his Mum will be waiting at the gate^ "What time do you call this?" grin

😀

JenniRen Wed 07-Oct-26 10:06:16

He had to swim the English Channel as part of the last stage of his journey because Channel Tunnel bosses refused him permission to walk through the service tunnel.

Yes, Sarnia 😀

In December 2025, the BBC visited Angela, who said she would be standing at the front gates to welcome him home.
She joked: "Once I've given him a hug I'll tell him, 'And what time do you call this, Karl?'"

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 09:53:25

What an amazing man (imho) flowers

Sarnia Wed 07-Oct-26 09:53:12

his Mum will be waiting at the gate "What time do you call this?" grin

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Oct-26 09:44:29

Wow! What a life he has lived over the last 28 years.

Sago Wed 07-Oct-26 09:33:17

I have been following Karl Bushby for some time, he is from my home City.
For 28 years he has been walking around the world, he has crossed, the Bering Strait, deserts and swam oceans as part of this arduous journey.
He is now on British soil and walking the final leg home, his Mum says she will be waiting at the gate.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cp8rd3n80j4o