Gransnet forums

Chat

James Bond

(41 Posts)
Mischief13 Mon 05-Oct-26 16:16:50

Today is James Bond day. Although I am not a fan I did like it when I was a little girl. There is currently a lot of speculation about who will replace Daniel Craig. Some of the names in the frame, Callum Turner, Tom Holland, JackLowden,Jack Barton, to name a few are just not doing it for me. Stars of today seem to be very ordinary looking. I liked Sean Connery, Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan who in my opinion who are all devastaingly handsome. What are your thoughts?

Desire Tue 06-Oct-26 19:58:43

Benedict Cumberbatch? Think he would fit…Daniel Craig always reminded me of Putin, so no..

honeyrose Tue 06-Oct-26 22:11:10

Daniel Craig was a very good Bond. Attractive and mesmerising, but not good looking in a classical way. Very tough in character of course - Bond needs that as a quality. Also sophistication, confidence and a not-suffering-fools-gladly mentality (although this comes through in the acting). Sean Connery and Roger Moore were probably my favourites though. As I mentioned before, Aidan Turner would be great. Also Benedict Cumberbach, Jean Paul Rege (have I got the right name there?) or James Norton or Tom Hardy. I can’t quite imagine Tom Holland as Bond - sorry Tom.

FranP Tue 06-Oct-26 22:23:17

sodapop

Bond was not a good fit for Roger Moore, as The Saint he was excellent.

But possibly most like the agents recruited for the cold war roles, who were apparently well bred Oxbridge/Eton types, portrayed well by Roger Moore

FranP Tue 06-Oct-26 22:28:03

Sorry if this is not PC, but if we are to be close to the post-war spy, it is likely to be an Aryan looking but rather non-descript (blend in type). Suggestions of a black man who would stand out like a sore thumb and not have the access that might be required of a spy seem a little silly.

A woman would work; we are learning more about female spies, although it would have to be a fit,strong and athletic one.

Shel1951 Tue 06-Oct-26 22:32:52

Idris Elba ,Tom Hiddleston

Sarnia Tue 06-Oct-26 23:28:16

Shel1951

Idris Elba ,Tom Hiddleston

Idris Elba removed himself some time ago as he considers himself too old. Shame, he would have made a great Bond.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Tue 06-Oct-26 23:36:07

Sean Connery was best Bond. Henry Cavill is rather tasty 😋

Calendargirl Wed 07-Oct-26 06:48:29

the slightly sleazy Bond who only had to look at a girl and she’d melt

I think we tend to forget how long ago the Bond books were written, and how old some of the films are.

The first book, Casino Royale, was published in 1953.

The first film, Doctor No, in 1962

Life and times viewed very differently now, even for our heroes.

That’s why Sean Connery fitted the role so well.

Handsome, sardonic, witty, but a cruel and ruthless streak, which was reflected in his attitude to the ‘job’, and also (sadly sometimes) to women.

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 09:31:15

Desire

Benedict Cumberbatch? Think he would fit…Daniel Craig always reminded me of Putin, so no..

😂 I can see a certain similarity

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 09:31:47

Calendargirl spot on

Cumbrianmale56 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:17:06

Don;'t forget Timothy Dalton as Bond, he made Bond a darker figure than Roger Moore's Bond and he was younger. His first outing as Bond, The Living Daylights, was one of the best I've seen.

petra Thu 08-Oct-26 09:21:06

Cumbrianmale56

Don;'t forget Timothy Dalton as Bond, he made Bond a darker figure than Roger Moore's Bond and he was younger. His first outing as Bond, The Living Daylights, was one of the best I've seen.

I thought a wooden puppet could have done a better job.

Desire Thu 08-Oct-26 18:39:58

youtu.be/WWnTs2MMYs0?is=5chtqQerxMipqfV9
😀 isn’t it?

hollysteers Thu 08-Oct-26 21:21:07

James Norton James Norton James Norton👍

Please no Benedict Cumberbunch. He looks like an alien…

Visgir1 Thu 08-Oct-26 21:50:01

Callum Turner and Jack Lowden have emerged as the leading frontrunners, so it's reported. But, probably a Red Herring. I think either perfect.