Gransnet forums

Chat

What would be the worst figure of speech if you took them literally?

(143 Posts)
Dreading Sun 04-Oct-26 15:54:01

It's raining cats and dogs

Rocketstop2 Tue 06-Oct-26 13:40:43

If he was an ice cream, he'd lick himself

He's a big hit for himself

He never bothered his shirt about it

Bobbysgirl19 Tue 06-Oct-26 14:26:05

He/she’s got verbal diarrhoea! when someone talks non-stop

Chestnut Tue 06-Oct-26 14:52:54

A sandwich short of a picnic

and many more with the same meaning!

Daddima Tue 06-Oct-26 15:01:52

fancythat

Maremia

Not relevant to this Thread but has GN restricted your daily top chats?
I used to get 15 or more 'Active' ones, and this morning it's only around 10?🌄
TIA

In the last few days, a lot less posting on this site I think.

Whether people are ill, gone out in nice weather, or Christmas shopping I dont know.

But it could well be that there are a lot of spiky comments lately. All over the place.

Could it be that many people are not posting because it’s obvious that their posts are not being seen as part of an ongoing conversation, or that their posts are not being read at all? Maybe it’s me, but I seem to see so many replies where it is obvious that the poster hasn’t read what has gone before!

fancythat Tue 06-Oct-26 15:14:27

You could well be right.

Casdon Tue 06-Oct-26 15:21:36

It’s the way you display your page that determines how many Active Threads you can see. I have mine set to the maximum number of posts per page, and I see the last 50 active conversations on my front page. I just counted, and 25 of them have posts from within the last hour currently - I don’t think site traffic has reduced.

fancythat Tue 06-Oct-26 16:33:22

Every time I look at Last hour, it is about half the size it used to be, even from 1 month ago.

Casdon Tue 06-Oct-26 17:07:56

It’s definitely your display fancythat. I just looked again, there were 20 between 16.03 and 17.03 just now.

fancythat Tue 06-Oct-26 18:06:56

You could be right, but how can it be if "Last hour".
Last hour is last hour is it not?
[I dont count Games threads by the way].

I suspect somewhere, GN or online, there are figures about this sort of thing.
How up to the minute they are, would be a different matter.

hollysteers Tue 06-Oct-26 18:20:30

He/she’s a fruitcake
Stop eating yourself! (Biting nails)

Casdon Tue 06-Oct-26 18:24:46

I just checked ‘last hour’ again, and it’s showing 27 threads. Perhaps somebody else could do the same, then we will know for sure if it’s your display or not.

fancythat Tue 06-Oct-26 18:32:31

Mine is showing 20, and 5 Games.

Sallywally1 Tue 06-Oct-26 18:34:25

Not really a saying as such, but we were once driving through a village where a sign declared ‘cats eyes removed’!

Daddima Tue 06-Oct-26 19:33:01

fancythat

Mine is showing 20, and 5 Games.

23 discussions for me.

Aldom Tue 06-Oct-26 20:42:06

Sallywally grin

Maggiemaybe Tue 06-Oct-26 22:52:19

Biting someone’s hand off, and pecking someone’s head.

hollysteers Wed 07-Oct-26 17:53:51

Finding yourself in the middle of next week.