Gransnet forums

Chat

Patronising or what!?

(97 Posts)
Grannybags Sat 26-Sept-26 16:19:16

Ha ha! It’s a bit “does she take sugar” isn’t it

Margs Sat 26-Sept-26 16:19:11

I've been talked to a couple of times - by GP's Receptionists - as Slowly and Carefully as possible as if I'm deaf and daft. I wonder if I must look like the little old lady, Mrs Wilberforce, in the film The Ladykillers?

Baggs Sat 26-Sept-26 16:14:56

Esmay

A shop failed to delivered my order three times.
On my last visit ;
the assistant spoke very loudly and said ,SHALL I WRITE IT DOWN FOR YOU ?
To which,I replied ,no thank you ,but make sure that your company understand basic English and a very simple request .

I don't understand this post. Write what down? Their failing to deliver suggests they needed your address written down for them.

Baggs Sat 26-Sept-26 16:13:00

Luckygirl3

Had to register at reception desk of a private clinic yesterday. My DD was with me as she had done the driving. Receptionist handed me a tablet to do the registration and turned to my DD and said "Perhaps you can help her with it".
Words failed me... at least any remotely polite ones!

I think a good approach is to answer: "I can manage, thanks."

If people keep answering straightforwardly perhaps the 'message' will sink in.

Margs Sat 26-Sept-26 16:10:47

BlueBelle

You may be right chestnut some older people don’t have a clue about technology and maybe they do mean well, but at least wait and see if they need help before offering it.
My 100 year old cousin was doing video editing and learning Spanish online up to a couple of years ago and only stopped now because her eyes give her trouble.
It’s good to help but it’s not good to presume a person needs that help

Yay! Your cousin sounds great.

dragonfly46 Sat 26-Sept-26 16:08:45

I had a friend who used to help old ladies across the road. She helped one lady across only to be told that she hadn’t wanted to cross and now she had missed her bus.

winterwhite Sat 26-Sept-26 16:06:46

Well, it’s annoying but I don’t see it as anything to get worked up about. It’s kindly meant even if a bit tactless.

Harris27 Sat 26-Sept-26 15:45:09

Sorry typo nursery.

Harris27 Sat 26-Sept-26 15:44:50

I remember not that long ago I was working with a girl in the unreserved that I’d worked in for 24 years. I asked this young girl to repeat what she’d said as I had not caught her last sentence room being noisy. She replied oh I forgot you were deaf? 🫣🫣I replied ‘ I do wear a hearing aid because of slight deafness due to my perforated ear drum but I’m quite ok in all other areas! She still hasn’t passed. Her level three after three years!, I may be deaf……..

MT62 Sat 26-Sept-26 15:18:48

Esmay

A shop failed to delivered my order three times.
On my last visit ;
the assistant spoke very loudly and said ,SHALL I WRITE IT DOWN FOR YOU ?
To which,I replied ,no thank you ,but make sure that your company understand basic English and a very simple request .

Oh dear 🙄

25Avalon Sat 26-Sept-26 14:58:00

Ah Ferry so he was a nice young man. What’s to dislike?😂

ferry23 Sat 26-Sept-26 11:58:25

That would so anger me - whether I were daughter or Mum.

A couple of years back I came out of the greengrocers, went to cross the road to my car parked on the opposite side - just as I was about to cross my phone beeped and I was waiting for an important message - I must have hesitated for a gazillionth of a second while my mind processed whether I should step back and read message or wait until I got in the car. Decided I would cross and was just about to when a nice young man came along, took my arm and said he would help me across the road. grin

Luckygirl3 Sat 26-Sept-26 11:57:19

My reply was to just get on and do it!

JenniferEccles Sat 26-Sept-26 11:42:30

Receptionists, and in fact everyone come to that, should, as part of their work training, be taught to assume that an elderly person is completely compos mentis, unless there is evidence to the contrary.
It would save a lot of irritation.

Anyway Luckygirl3 apart from that, the comments to your daughter was completely unnecessary, as I’m sure she was well aware ( as any daughter would be) that she could help you if necessary !

BlueBelle Sat 26-Sept-26 11:32:07

You may be right chestnut some older people don’t have a clue about technology and maybe they do mean well, but at least wait and see if they need help before offering it.
My 100 year old cousin was doing video editing and learning Spanish online up to a couple of years ago and only stopped now because her eyes give her trouble.
It’s good to help but it’s not good to presume a person needs that help

HelterSkelter1 Sat 26-Sept-26 11:28:26

I agree Chestnut. I really dread to think how I spoke to older people in my 20s. I could be very uppity. Probably still am.

Chestnut Sat 26-Sept-26 11:23:02

I know it's annoying but we have to remember they mean well and are probably just trying to help. Some older people don't have a clue with tech so maybe they've just had to assist someone like that.

Honestly, I can't remember how I spoke to older people when I was younger, but we didn't have phones and tablets back then so we didn't need to help anyone with that, only maybe filling in forms.

Cossy Sat 26-Sept-26 11:04:14

Sorry, bit muddled in the first sentences! I’m sure you all can work out I was with my mother 😂🤣😂

Cossy Sat 26-Sept-26 11:03:13

That’s utterly and completely outrageous!

It happened once when I took my mother to register in a private hospital with my dear mother, same, a clinic appointment, the receptionist said exactly the same, directed at me.

My rather outspoken mother, looked the receptionist right in the eye and said, very loudly, “I am here you know, you can speak to me and I am perfectly capable of filling in this form myself, however I won’t as I have severe arthritis in my hands!”

I couldn’t help but smile!

teabagwoman Sat 26-Sept-26 10:59:41

I try to remind myself that people are trying, though misguidedly, to be helpful as I need to control my blood pressure. I didn’t quite succeed when I was called a little old lady to my face!!!

Esmay Sat 26-Sept-26 10:53:23

A shop failed to delivered my order three times.
On my last visit ;
the assistant spoke very loudly and said ,SHALL I WRITE IT DOWN FOR YOU ?
To which,I replied ,no thank you ,but make sure that your company understand basic English and a very simple request .

Luckygirl3 Sat 26-Sept-26 10:41:46

Had to register at reception desk of a private clinic yesterday. My DD was with me as she had done the driving. Receptionist handed me a tablet to do the registration and turned to my DD and said "Perhaps you can help her with it".
Words failed me... at least any remotely polite ones!