Ignore me! Should have read the whole thread before jumping in - apologies.
Ruler Of The World (lighthearted)
Wedding Present Dinner Service.
Good Morning Everyone,
A dark and dry start to the day here in Brackley .
My routine today is a early bus into Bicester, have a coffee and a snack , then do a shop and return home earlier .
Maybe have a beer or two at lunchtime , followed by world cycling road race for elite women from Montreal on TV.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick
Ignore me! Should have read the whole thread before jumping in - apologies.
karmalady
Good morning from s somerset, a pleasant day is ahead today
I am up too early today, I had hoped to get more than 6 hours as I had a total of 10 hours yesterday. However the painkiller demon of heartburn has struck, it started during the evening not long after taking ibuprofen. I kept on top of the heartburn by sitting up but it came back again and woke me
I cannot take the gaviscon tablets right now because of the bits getting into my tooth socket and the clot inside. My brain went into gear this morning and I drank some slippery elm, which was in the back of a cupboard. I can also make some cabbage juice later but first I need to pick the cabbage from my garden
It is a blooming nuisance but I always thought it might happen with the nsaid and because I have to eat pappy foods which don`t line my stomach. I am doing my utmost to avoid a dry socket and won`t be out of the woods for around another 5 days but fortunately will not need any more ibuprofen as the pain is manageable with paracetamol now
I am so wanting to get back to normal life, I did insert sleeves into my dress last night because I wanted to be upright and moving. I could vacuum today as that is movement but no strenuous walking for me yet
HelterSkelter I completely agree about gardening being medicine for mental health and for the soul. That is why I applied for an allotment, I have a half plot and it is very much my refuge, while also having other people in the vicinity who will chat or wave with a smile
I just want to get through the day, dampen down this lurking heartburn and get to day 4
Can you tolerate liquid Gaviscon? It's very effective and won't trouble the socket.
A quick good morning from Shropshire.
We are off to help at DGS’s birthday party shortly.I am always up early but not today so we are running late 🤦🏼♀️
I will catch up with all your news later.
Wishing everyone the best day possible🦩🌻
Good morning from dry South Lanarkshire.
Another broken night means I’m not worth a button this morning. I was woken by a very large fox standing on the pavement outside my window barking loudly for several minutes before moving off, still barking. Daft dug didn’t stir from her slumber.
Karma I’ve to have an upper molar removed soon. I was a little nervous as my dentist has warned me of the unlikely but possible side effect from Alendronic acid which I take weekly but now I’ve added dry socket to that. I don’t really know what it means and I’m almost afraid to look into it now. 
I’ve a few things to pick up in the town so I’ll walk down later if the rain stays away.
Wishing everyone the best day possible.
Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 12° and dry. Bellasnana enjoy your treasures today. GrandMattie definitely an odd day for you. Ashcombe enjoy your family visit. HelterSkelter autumn is my favourite season.
Yesterday I had a quick visit to aldi for bread then spent the rest of the day at home. I pottered about and did some housework and washing but the day disappeared before me!
Today will be quiet again. I have a tesco delivery this afternoon and I will watch Strictly tonight. I have the mute button ready to press when the talking starts! I will strip the bed and get the whites washed. I might clean out the cupboard under the kitchen sink. So many possibilities! Have a good day all.
Don't be petrified Jaxjacky, I've had the procedure done twice, latterly in hospital where two molars were removed. I can only take paracetamol. Just follow the advice on the leaflet they'll give you. After the first day I stuck rigidly to the salt water mouth rinsing and I'm sure that helped enormously. You don't swill it around just let it bathe the offending area. You'll be fine, honestly.
The actual extractions have never been an issue, just some tugging, no pain during the procedure.
Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny 🌞Northampton, a fine day ahead again. Felt really chilly on stirring from bed, and the heating might have to go on soon!
I had been coughing so much again yesterday that by mid-afternoon I felt so bad that I decided to give the surgery a call just on the off chance that someone could help.
I spoke to a most lovely kind receptionist who passed my details on and within a couple of minutes was offered an appointment at 5.30 pm. There being no-one available to give me a lift, (another story), I got a bus. I was seen by a very efficient and caring senior nurse who took a history, listened to my chest and immediately diagnosed a bad chest infection. A full weeks course of antibiotics was prescribed.
Luckily the surgery has a pharmacy on site so could just wait to pick it up. By that time it was 6.15, I had just missed a bus home, and rather than wait half an hour for the next one at a cold bus stop I popped into the only place open - the village pub! Found a stool in the corner of the bar and enjoyed a glass of wine! Timed the bus just right and was swiftly home.
Fed the cats, reheated my curry and settled down to an evening of rugby on tv. A fantastic match, a good win for my team and I was very happy. That is until one of the cats decided to take up residence in a corner kitchen cupboard..... I gave up trying to coax her out with cat treats and tuna and just left her, closed the kitchen door to stop the other cat trying to join her. Eventually she decided she didn't want to spend the night in there and came out - she didn't like being ignored!
I said earlier that no one could.give me a lift yesterday - my neighbour was out, and DS called to say he was at the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford with his partner who needed emergency surgery on her eye. She had a detached retina operated on a few weeks back and it had not healed properly, so needed further surgery to fix it. Luckily all went well, and they got home late last night.
I shall hear more about it this morning as DS is coming down to give me some help with a couple of things.
Not sure what the day will bring after that; I may ask DS to give me a lift to the shops if I feel up to it.
Not read your posts yet, so will wish everyone a pleasant day.
Good morning all from a sunny Black country.
Over to friends later.
Will catch up with everybody's happenings after the usual Saturday full English which is calling.
Best wishes to anyone celebrating, safe travels those on the move and virtual hugs where needed,
Have the best day you can everyone whatever your plans 😎.
Thanks Karma, no I hadn't heard of it but have just scrolled through lots of their images, very interesting.
Morning from a cloudy S Hants, I know your trying to be helpful karma but I’m now petrified for my two extractions, lower molars, next week. I’ve got an urgent review with my dentist on Monday.
Good morning everyone from a sunny mid Essex. Yesterday was sunny and warm until about 4 when it clouded over. I had my usual walk then finished cleaning the kitchen ready for my hairdresser’s visit in the afternoon,
We had a good chat, I’ve known her since she was a little girl and she often tells me of her family problems. Not a problem as I don’t see her family!
Nothing planned for today, just continuing to clear a large patch of seedlings in the back of the garden - some I know will be flowers, but most are weeds, so I’ll take the hoe to them all and start again next spring. I need to get more plants to fill the big gaps, I like colour, not bare earth but hip and back problems have stopped me from doing much recently.
karma I hope your mouth starts to feel more comfortable soon and that the heartburn isn’t too problematic today.
bellasnana enjoy the tennis later and especially the sleepover with your two treasures!
Safe and delay free travels to those on the move today.
Have the best day possible everyone.
Oh my goodness Karma , this all sounds horrendous!
This matchy matchy vest/waistcoat is free, made from bits
matchymatchysewingclub.com/products/free-wavy-quilted-vest-pdf-sewing-pattern
Good morning all . It’s still and very quiet - another lovely day forecast here in Essex.
Just read Keats ‘Ode to Autumn’ again - beautiful! I do love Autumn. Thanks for the reminder * Helterskelter* . 🍁🍂.
Yesterday my friend messaged to say she’d pick me up for our Friday catch-up , so I thought I might as well go with her. Dh declined again!
It was very busy in the pub with lots of large groups , so noisy, which Dh would have been uncomfortable with, so just as well, he didn’t come. It’s only a couple of hours but nice to break the day up with old friends. I had my (probably) last Pimms of the summer.
Today I’ll take my trusty trolly up to town and shop for the family gathering tomorrow. Usual buffet which gets a bit boring, but with 12 of us , plus some older GC popping in and out, it’s the easiest option.
Eldest DGD is coming ‘home’ for the weekend from Southampton so it will be lovely to see her.
Sorry to hear Helterskelter and Bellasnanna feeling down.
Enjoy the garden and your little lads 💐💐.
My friend stuck on a Greek Island with seriously ill Dh, should be flying home tomorrow assisted by a paramedic. We all hope this will put a stop to their gallivanting as this has happened every time they go abroad . He ends up in hospital., Both in their mid 80’s and not very fit. This is the worst it’s been.
I hope you all have a ‘good’ day whatever it brings.🌻
That's lovely that you enjoy your DiL's company, Marzipan.
I was the same with my MiL. Never a cross word in 40 years. I miss her a great deal, but I treasure the memories of the times we spent together.
Good morning all from the Scottish Borders.
Sunny here but chilly.
I slept better but my back is still a bother. It's always worse first thing.
I had news that my friend had a stroke last week while away down south. Luckily he got to hospital within 2 hours so was saved serious damage. His speech is affected but that seems to be all.
A nice young family collected a large futon and I took another boot load to the tip (recycle centre)
I had another survey from a different removals company. It was very thorough. He counted my paintings - I could open a gallery - and took pictures of everything.
HelterSkelter I am glad your garden gives you such solace. I shall miss mine. I've taken cuttings of all my roses but wonder where they will go in my low maintenance garden.
Well done gMattie finding the address!
I hope your gum heals quickly Karmalady
Have a good weekend everyone.
Marzipan have you seen the Matchy matchy patterns. I saw some lovely trousers on there, made from bits of fabric
Good morning from a mild sunny S E Essex.
Other than popping into a couple of local shops I have absolutely nothing planned for today. I think I might sit in the garden with my book. I was thinking about jackets and cardigans and realised I haven’t worn either since half term at the end of May.
Wishing you all a pleasant weekend 🙋♀️
Good morning, it’s a chilly 5° here on the hillside in south Glos, clear skies and more sunshine today despite hoping for lots of rain. The soil in my garden is like dust; I dug out a rampant jasmine and even 12” down it was bone dry. I’ve finally finished the borders and I am very happy with my efforts, I have probably removed 60% of the plants (they didn’t survive the summer) and once we have a decent amount of rain I will heavily mulch with manure. Then that’s it until next spring. I was going to plant bulbs but unless we have an appreciable amount of rain soon it would be a waste of time.
I’ve had the excruciating pain of dry socket every time I’ve had an extraction Karmalady, it’s the worst pain ever. I now have prophylactic antibiotics. Having had at least a dozen extractions I totally know how you’re feeling 🤗
Today I have a few pots to sort out then I will tidy the potting table etc and that’s me done!
The washing dried nicely yesterday, one bonus for this dry weather 😊
Quiche and salad and new potatoes for dinner, plenty of fresh fruit for afters.
Have a lovely day x
🌹
Good morning from Cornwall where it's balmy and still, not even the tiniest leaf stirring on my patio.
I had the loveliest time at my daughter-in-law's yesterday. We talked non-stop for the whole time about arty and quirky things. We're very good for each other.
Today I have woken up with lots of energy and a whole glorious blank day for jaunting. I may buy the Cornwall Day Ranger train ticket and rove around the county at will.
I have lots of dismantling of garments to do as I want to create an olive green pair of casual trousers, as a change from denim. I can take some in my back pack and unpick the seams between stops. The joy of retirement. (And feet that work again.) 😄
Good morning Michael and all GN's on a still calm dark morning in North Yorkshire. A very poor nights sleep and now really struggling to get around this morning. I wanted to get on with things this morning, but literally cant actually get moving yet. So rough that I havent even been able to get into the shower, as darent risk slipping . So am hobbling about, and waiting for the painkillers to take some effect. My optimistic plans for today will have to be ignored and I shall wait and see how things go later. Definitely a morning for the yellow peril to go down to the market.
I dont know why it is so bad today, as yesterday I had a , for me, quietish day, after the sterling efforts of thursday. So I started by putting the rest of the shopping away that had been abandoned on the kitchen top, Wrote a few necessary emails, and got myself ready for the friday morning at the library bocca group. Wrote a short shopping list,to go and get on the way home later and got off to the meeting. The usual struggle over the wretched yellow bumps and the flipping awkward slope with handles that have had nothing done to them. (Think if nothing happens over the next few weeks, I might turn into an urban guerrilla and find a friendly farrier to show me how to attack the bars myself!! No , dont think I would be a lawbreaker really, better to change things legally!)
Was one of the early birds there, and got myself parked up and into the meeting room. I regaled them with the tale of the hotel saga, as one lady especially had asked about how things were going on. She has been made aware of the difficulties that disabled people have with access to places since a close friend of hers has recently needed to look at this after an accident. When someone close to you needs these things it does throw things into perspective, which you may have not been aware of previously. So , she is keen to hear the progress, and whilst I of course was not so rude as to actually do it, I felt like pulling a face and saying "See told you so, "to the person who had dismissed my actions previously and said that it wasnt worth getting involved as nothing was likely to change!! As it happened, the librarian came by at that time and asked me if I had received a comformation of the receipt of my complaint from the top bods at the library bosses. I told her that I hadnt seen anything yet, but would check it up when I got home. So mentally felt like Boudicca, charging into battle and at least getting some reaction!!
The rest of the class were arriving and we then got down to some bocca games, no curling today. However I was getting better at gauging distance, but still find it hard working out the effort needed when you are sat rather than bending down lower and getting better results. However concentration and looking at the post or skittle and imagining it is the ceo of the hotel or Donald Trump helps the aim, and slowly improving. There are two men and one woman, who are obviously previously bowls players and who certainly have good aim and hand eye co ordination. Unfortunately just the way we are sitting means that they are all on the opposing team, but I have found my role in the game as I do go in for devious action. So I may not be good enough to land on a small area , I am quite good at gauging ways of knocking their balls off the goal, which then allows a better player on my team to go for the space I have made her.Anyway it was a good chance to let off steam a bit and have a bit of an exercise. Then I left on the yp and thought of going home, but thought while I was out I would get the local paper and go and get some cash etc. In the end I got the paper and did a bit of shopping and ended up at the other end of town and diverted myself into Nero's as the wretched paths had made it so painful. So it was a quieter time there, and I was able to get myself stiffly into a decent seat. Another change of staff, meant that I had to explain my needs to a new chap, but he was very pleasant and I was able to leave him to bring it over to me. Glad to sit down in a more comfortable seat I then went right through the paper, marking up things of interest , both for myself and for others in the group, who I send a little alert out to. Lots of things on this weekend and of course some harvest festival services and all sorts of coffee mornings and charity things happening. I had thought that I might manage to get back down to Harlow Carr this weekend as it was so lovely the other day, but no it will just be something quite local which I can manage.
I took my time and enjoyed quite a peaceful atmosphere, back down to a few people with well behaved dogs and no great crowds there. Feeling better for the break I then calledin at Tesco for some bits and pieces and then home. Plenty of things needed doing, but still not feeling too brilliant so just made a meal and did very little apart from later in the evening enjoying Downton Abbey. So you can see that I didnt do any great mammoth efforts yet here I am struggling today. Ah well that is life! So today will be cut down to going to the market, getting Yorkshire Post, and doing what I can,and tomorrow will go to the Harvest Festival , probably at the little village, where I go to play whist. One of my favourite festivals, with so many memories of my granny and all the family being part of it. I love the hymns and all the true joy of a harvest safely gathered in, which in a rural area , has real meaning. As a little girl, I was very proud of my great granny , who used to bake the sheave of wheat bread loaf, which would be the centre piece of the harvest offerings. We loved going up the aisle to the vicar and presenting him, with our gifts of the best we had grown and it was so lovely to see the fruit and vegetables and eggs and fish all mounting up behind him. After the service would come the harvest tea, and we would all bring lovely autumny things, with lovely blackberry and apple pies and many lovely home made things to enjoy. Fingers crossed for good weather to allow everyone to come to the service. I love the actual service , but also for me that connection, stretching back over the years, remembering my great uncles relief in his voice when the last of the harvest had been gathered in , in a bad year, and the talk amongst everyone after the service of what crops had done well or badly and their thoughts on what they might grow the following year. The neverending life on a farm, where as soon as you have finished one thing, you are on to the next. On the land, you cant decide to go off on holiday, or have a couple of weeks doing nothing, the animals want feeding, and the cropped fields ploughing for the next thing.
Hope you get your early bus Mick and have a good visit and back for the cycle race. You are right Helter Skelter the garden is always a good bet, and can suit you in whatever mood you are in. feel annoyed? get the secateurs out and do a bit of savage snipping, need to calm down? do a bit of planting up pots. Hope you will find pleasure in the garden again now. Karmalady it sounds as though you have been having a horrible time and hope that things improve for you soon. GrandMattie sounds as though you had a bit of an odd day. Hope the chutney making goes well.
Well I now have the squirrel charging up and down the tree and running along the fence, whilst the pigeon crowd has increased to 3 , all somewhat aimlessly wandering round and pecking at the odd bit of grass. Time to have a go at moving at tortoise speed and see if the shower will work its madness. we are getting a fair bit of sunshine and a little breeze now, so that looks good for my trip to the market.
Wishing you all a pleasant and productive day
Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where it is set to be a fine day. Chilly at the moment, though. I slept badly again last night but did better than the night before.
School with year four was fun. They are a nice relaxed group, two of whom I had in their previous year so we know each other well. Some of the year five girls have been in the library making bookmarks in their lunch break all week and yesterday they presented me with a boxful and invited choose not just one but two “because we know you read a lot of books, Miss”!
Today I will do an early shop and then drop down to the nearest of our three local garden centres buy some bird food. They are going through it like nobody’s business at the moment. Nothing with peanuts though; a squirrel is harvesting any the birds drop and burying them in the lawn. At some stage I suppose he’s going to come and dig them up again! We’ve lived here for fifteen years and this year is the first year I’ve seen squirrels in our garden.
Glad you enjoyed your visit to Renishaw, Melanie. I was there last year for an art exhibition, and have been to the gardens twice but never been inside the house. I know they only do tours on a Friday.
Have the best day you can folks.
Helterskelter I am going to get liquid gaviscon today but warm water is a no no as anything above lukewarm could start to dissolve the clot. Thanks
I would not say much about this tooth journey but honestly wish I had known much more in-depth stuff beforehand, so I decided to pass on what I have learnt. Oldies with a lifetime of fillings and now with aged delicate teeth could at any time have a lower molar problem which needs urgent attention
I needed the extraction quite urgently. One thing I did notice afterwards was by day 2, I was thoroughly zonked out and beyond tired. Don`t do anything is my advice, at least for 48 hours. Day 1 I went to the allotment and carted 4 heavy squash home, big mistake
A dry socket has a pain number of 10/10 and is excruciating, not touched by over the counter painkillers. I know a dentist can help by packing the cavity but it will still not relieve the pain very much
Oh yes, before extraction, I found oragel very useful for the few times my top molars accidentally crashed into the lower molar, that pain sent me through the roof. I had oragel in my first aid box
Good morning from Durham. It’s a grey, chilly start and I’m tempted to knock the heating on. I start most mornings with a fit of sneezing, which is very annoying. Bought my ‘special’ Christmas cards and ordered others from Marie Curie yesterday. I’ll hide them, as I’m just getting into Autumnal mode!
I’m going through to DD2’s to collect Little Dog soon, later I’ll meet her and DGS2 at a local garden centre for tea, then home to give the dog a good walk off leash, before dark.
Best wishes to all. X
Good morning everyone from Lancashire.
I'm glad you've got your garden to lose yourself in HelterSkelter. I can lose hours in our garden and enjoy the physical exercise as much as the mental planning. Even when it's tiring, it's a good tiredness if that makes sense.
Do you enjoy jigsaws? I can lose hours over a puzzle. DH reckons it's me enjoying restoring order to a box of chaotic pieces. 😄
How discombobulating, forgetting your friend's house number, GrandMattie. When I go to the Trafford Centre I always have to have something in my head to remind me where I've parked because the carparks are vast.
I'm 'banking' your knowledge about how to look after your mouth after a tooth extraction, Karma, in case I ever need it. I had a tooth removed years ago and I don't remember being any advice re aftercare beyond taking paracetamol if needed.
Not sure what we've got planned for today beyond a supermarket shop. I've done 3 long days on my own this week so DH may offer to take the little chap to the park and then Strictly begins properly this evening.
I don't know much about most of this year's contestants, but I quite like not having any preconceived ideas about how they'll do. 💃🕺
Wishing you all the best day possible. 🌻
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.