Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anybody cut down on their meds after reading about over prescribing

(61 Posts)
Allalongagatha Thu 24-Sept-26 16:41:11

If you have cut down, may I ask what ones you cut out or down. Have you had any side effects, I would also be interested to know whether you consulted your GP.

MayBee70 Thu 24-Sept-26 19:28:41

You should never change prescribed medication because it will be on your medical record and the assumption will be that you are taking it as prescribed. Unless, of course you do suffer from any of the adverse reactions mentioned in the instructions. Even so you should tell your doctor.

pably15 Thu 24-Sept-26 20:04:51

the only meds I cut out years ago were statins, didn't consult GP

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 20:06:08

I’d go to the GP if I wanted or needed to cut down or stop.

Visgir1 Thu 24-Sept-26 20:09:42

Please just speak to your Doctor, don't just cut out meds.
My Late MiL was on loads of Medication. Due to my profession I have a rough idea that all the medication, she was on, just didn't seem right?
So she goes off to see her GP telling them "my DIL thinks I'm on too many meds I don't need" the reply from the GP was "I think she's right"

She went from about 8 different ones to 2, beside savings on the National drugs cost, she was surprised she had more energy and felt great.

paddyann54 Thu 24-Sept-26 20:24:59

I gave up my BP meds without checking a year ago ,my BP is much better without it andI don’t have a cough that keeps me awake all night.
Only medication I have is HRT because of my family history of osteoporosis both my mother and her mother had it and horrific symptoms despite alendronic acid .
I,m not taking the risk..my sister did come off it and had a heart attack and a series of strokes in the couple of months after.
She is wheelchair bound ,paralysed down her right hand side and almost blind.
Oh and she has broken bones twice…no one told her these were the risks of coming off HRT until after her heart attack!

MT62 Thu 24-Sept-26 21:48:20

pably15

the only meds I cut out years ago were statins, didn't consult GP

What about holiday insurance?
If you had a heart attack or stroke aboard I don’t think you will be covered.

pably15 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:12:56

I never holiday abroad..

Madmeg Fri 25-Sept-26 01:16:42

My FiL was on a catalogue of drugs. One day, 36 years ago, he flushed them all down the loo saying they were doing him no good. Two weeks later he was dead.

nanna8 Fri 25-Sept-26 03:48:43

My Mum was prescribed statins because her cholesterol was really high ( so was mine but I take them ) . She never took them, just forgot or was not interested. . She developed heart failure and died of a heart attack. She did take some medication for rheumatoid arthritis which was later withdrawn because it was connected with heart disease so we will never really know the cause, probably a mixture.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 25-Sept-26 04:22:56

If you stop medications, please dont flush them down the loo.

Take them to a pharmacy for safe disposal.

notgran Fri 25-Sept-26 06:42:26

Our GP Surgery reviews your prescription drugs every year, when you have the MOT (blood test, BP check etc when over 65). Currently I have had one tablet for BP withdrawn as I have lost a couple of stone and my statins dosage has been changed. However I have to have all the tests done again next month as a double check I am on the right dosage. I'm in England and thought this yearly MOT thing was offered to all over 65s. They certainly don't over prescribe at my GPs, in fact, anti-biotic prescriptions are rarer than hen's teeth and the patient is usually told to see the pharmacist and get something from there.

silverlining48 Fri 25-Sept-26 09:16:38

I am a lot older than 65 but have never been offered a medical MOT.

Grantanow Fri 25-Sept-26 09:46:38

I've halved my use of Seretide as my asthma is still well-controlled on the lower dose. No change on other drugs.

Allalongagatha Fri 25-Sept-26 09:50:00

Thank you for all of the replies. I am 78 and very fit. Following a routine blood test I was referred to the Hospital. I am quite underweight but that has been a life long thing.

The hospital found out that had erosive gastritis. Another blood test at the Gp revealed an over active thyroid also.. A couple of months later this turned out to be a false reading.

The hospital visit was 18 months ago. I think my stomach problems are now cured . Since stopping the meds I have felt so much better. I still take blood pressure and beta blockers but I have stopped the other 4.

watermeadow Fri 25-Sept-26 10:10:50

I’m over 80 so I expect that if I saw a doctor they’d find at least a few bits of me are less than perfect and would prescribe drugs. It’s practically impossible to see a doctor here so I don’t take anything.

notgran Fri 25-Sept-26 14:50:30

silverlining48

I am a lot older than 65 but have never been offered a medical MOT.

If you think you would benefit from a yearly check up, then I would respectfully suggest you request one.

Plevey08 Fri 25-Sept-26 15:10:26

MayBee70

You should never change prescribed medication because it will be on your medical record and the assumption will be that you are taking it as prescribed. Unless, of course you do suffer from any of the adverse reactions mentioned in the instructions. Even so you should tell your doctor.

I completely agree MayBee. Potentially dangerous. Of course as above, adverse reactions should be reported to your GP. They can then advise the best way forward.

MayBee70 Fri 25-Sept-26 15:13:15

Plevey08

MayBee70

You should never change prescribed medication because it will be on your medical record and the assumption will be that you are taking it as prescribed. Unless, of course you do suffer from any of the adverse reactions mentioned in the instructions. Even so you should tell your doctor.

I completely agree MayBee. Potentially dangerous. Of course as above, adverse reactions should be reported to your GP. They can then advise the best way forward.

I should, however add that if you’re not happy with your medication always question it. And always ask for a second opinion if you have no faith in the doctor that prescribed it.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 25-Sept-26 21:20:37

If you are not happy with your medications have a word with a pharmacist. They know as much and often more than the GP

MayBee70 Fri 25-Sept-26 21:50:24

I asked a pharmacist to look at my foot because I think I have a fungal nail infection and she wouldn’t.

Casdon Fri 25-Sept-26 21:57:55

The best thing to do is ask your practice to organise a medication review with the practice pharmacist. They know more about interactions and dosages than GPs do, and they will confirm changes with your GP before changing your prescription.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 25-Sept-26 22:03:41

Maybee if you google "what can a pharmacist look at for you", fungal foot infections don't come under the 7 things they can look at to save you getting a GP appt.

MayBee70 Fri 25-Sept-26 22:39:21

Problem is doctors regard fungal nail infections as cosmetic and aren’t interested. I’m going to have to waste precious time when I see my consultant in a few weeks time. A friend of mine had to delay a knee replacement for a year because she had a nail infection. I had a sore eye last year. The practice nurse told me to see a pharmacist and the pharmacist told me to see my doctor.

crazyH Fri 25-Sept-26 23:16:33

Pably - can you please tell me why you stopped your statins. Today my Diabetic Nurse prescribed statins because my cholesterol was high. So I’m genuinely keen to know why you stopped taking statins. Thankyou