Gransnet forums

Chat

Long dress, high heels and a flight of steels

(51 Posts)
HelterSkelter1 Wed 23-Sept-26 05:19:45

Even just thinking about that combination and I would trip up.

The Princess of Wales seemed to float down the stairs last night. Tom Cruise did take her hand, but notmally no one does.

How does she do it. High heels over cobbles sometimes. Up and down kerbs. What a skill. I can remember running up and down stairs when young...albeit not in sky high heels.

Nowadays I grip the hand rail and I can't remember when that changed. Never mind I am unlikely to be invited to a film premiere and if I were I would need a Tom Cruise either side.

Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 17:20:17

I haven’t worn heels for years. Most of my footwear is sketchers, they do sandals, boots and trainers. That’ll do!

MayBee70 Wed 23-Sept-26 17:53:54

Frogoet

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if she dressed like a human. Then women wouldn’t be trying to copy the unreal fashions portrayed.
No role model.
Just a clothes horse with money.
I’d be impressed if she broke out of tge mould and behaved like a real mother and working woman.

I think she’s a wonderful mother…

cc Wed 23-Sept-26 18:01:32

I can't believe the tall narrow heels that people wear today, I don't think I could even balance on them, let alone walk!

cc Wed 23-Sept-26 18:03:07

Frogoet

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if she dressed like a human. Then women wouldn’t be trying to copy the unreal fashions portrayed.
No role model.
Just a clothes horse with money.
I’d be impressed if she broke out of tge mould and behaved like a real mother and working woman.

I think that's a bit mean Frogoet, I'm sure that many of us would agree that she works hard and looks after her children well. It just isn't the work that you chose to do.

M0nica Wed 23-Sept-26 18:08:37

There arae plenty of photos of the Princess of Wales, in her off duty time dressed in jeans and sweaters and other casual wear.

As a working member of the firm she has workwear, which she wears when working and casual clothes that she wears when not working. Not really that different from any other working woman. In my working days I was just the same. I had a wardrobe of smart suits and dresses I wore to work and a wardrobe of casual clothes I changed into as soon as I got home.

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Sept-26 19:10:12

You beat me to it MOnica plenty of pictures of her in jeans and casual tops.

TerriBull Wed 23-Sept-26 20:22:08

Princess of Wales looks good in whatever she's wearing. Obviously she has to dress to suit the occasion she carries that off really well. She looks equally good when she's dressed down in jeans. Long legs! envy

JPB123 Wed 23-Sept-26 20:59:24

I would look like Dick Emery if I wore heels now!

M0nica Wed 23-Sept-26 21:40:59

Looking elegant and well dressed has little to do with the clothes and much more with shape and the deportment of the wearer and their self confidence (or capacity to simulate self confidence).

If the Princess of Wales walked out in a black bin bag, she would look well dressed, she has the shape, the deportment and self confidence. I never felt that Princess Diana quite made it on all criteria. 95% there, but that last 5% was missing.

MawsRosie Wed 23-Sept-26 21:48:18

Couldn’t you have got GNHQ to correct your title? It makes no sense as it stands unless the PoW was balancing on a flight of RSJs

Luckygirl3 Wed 23-Sept-26 21:56:47

High heels are the work of the devil - and very bad for your back. Away with them!

jocork Thu 24-Sept-26 04:26:27

I never coped well with heels even when I was young - a pity because I could use the extra height!
I once got tickets to a film premiere as my ex worked for someone who couldn't attend and raffled the tickets among his staff. I had a call saying we were going and had to ask to leave work early to be able to get home, shower and change in about an hour and a half before rushing into London. I didn't posess anything elegant to wear and certainly no heels - can't remember what shoes I wore!
We had to walk into the cinema in front of huge crowds as Charles and Diana were attending, so it was quite strange. I expect the onlookers were wondering who on earth we were!

Warbler Thu 24-Sept-26 05:04:30

She did what Princess D always used to do. Kept her handbag securely in the hand that was next to Tom Cruise, but that didn't deter his gentlemanly courtesy.

StoneofDestiny Thu 24-Sept-26 09:36:38

No role model. Just a clothes horse with money

Couldn’t agree more - not sure how attending celebrity events and dressing in expensive clothes could make anybody a ‘role model’. Women fought hard to be seen as more than decorative pieces with trivial pursuits. This portrayal of women is such a throw back.

AuntieE Thu 24-Sept-26 11:04:10

She has, as we all did, practised walking on all kinds of surfaces before venturing into public in those shoes.

And she has apparently the sense to accept a gentlemanly offer of assistance.

Samwam Thu 24-Sept-26 14:01:34

There was a piece in Hello magazine making much of Cate getting down from a tractor in high heels etc etc

Now there is a slang word Ratioed

It means the comments got more traction than the piece.

So emphasise her clothes, shoes. Nothing else of note. Gave me a 😃 found it very funny.

Esmay Thu 24-Sept-26 16:49:05

I saw The Princess of Wales nearly trip when someone stood on her long dress .
She laughed and quickly regained her composure.
I look like Dick Emery if I try and walk in high heels .

Oreo Thu 24-Sept-26 16:56:53

Esmay

I saw The Princess of Wales nearly trip when someone stood on her long dress .
She laughed and quickly regained her composure.
I look like Dick Emery if I try and walk in high heels .

Oooh, you are awful….but I like you!

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 17:40:58

StoneofDestiny

*No role model. Just a clothes horse with money*

Couldn’t agree more - not sure how attending celebrity events and dressing in expensive clothes could make anybody a ‘role model’. Women fought hard to be seen as more than decorative pieces with trivial pursuits. This portrayal of women is such a throw back.

Far more goes into what royalty do than simply put a nice dress on and smile. Ahead of almost any royal engagement deep research will be done into the event, the organisation behind it and the work that they do. They usually reflect causes that the specific royal is interested in and involved in. Royal Family members, do a lot of work with and for all kinds of organisation behind the scenes. Things that d not get reported in the papers.

The same applies to their clothes. Again it is made sure that they are appropriate for the event , sometimes they are putting across a message that the government wants to put across. If some objectionable Middle Eastern sheik is being entertained female RF members put on full bling and load up with jewellery to emphasise that they too are ver wealthy and the Foreign Office will have fully briefed them on who the man is, his family, his private interests, and exactly how best to make him feel important.

Having organised events at corporate level, although never royals, Proper briefing before an event was essential.

StoneofDestiny Thu 24-Sept-26 21:46:18

I understand that - but it is done by researchers - not the royal. Besides - the exact same is done at business level. Care is taken to be sensitive to cultural norms etc. However, it doesn't require the female business executives to be merely decorative, or for what they wear to be the talking point of the whole engagement!

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 22:43:27

But in a business context gender is incidental. but members of the Royal family are the country in human form and, men and women, the royals have to dress up, whether it is a smart dress or a uniform with all the right sashes and medals.

Not every occasion requires smart clothes,, current royals also attend events casually dressed.

As for briefings yes, others prepare them and after the briefing is read, which takes time, meetings follow where they are discussed in detail. These can takea lot of time.

StoneofDestiny Fri 25-Sept-26 23:24:42

It’s a lot of unnecessary fluff - no substance and certainly doesn’t require an army of staff to pull it off. Time to move on from the expensive nonsense. William and Kate actually do very little - and it certainly is never hard work by any sensible definition. It seems Anne does the most without fluff and extortionate clothing budgets - while having a career in sport and raising a family. Kate has taken the whole ‘royal’ thing backwards - has no outside work and seems content to be a clothes horse in the very little she does do. The public purse shouldn’t be pandering to this frivolous and pointless lifestyle where the ‘dress’ is more remembered than the occasion.

HelterSkelter1 Sat 26-Sept-26 05:28:36

A younger relation had quite a lot to do with organising a visit by Princess Anne for an event related to the sea.
He said she was so well informed and genuinely interested.
But of course she is in her 70s and well used to this sort of "work".
The Princess of Wales is so much younger, less expeeienced and has had time out with her young family and recently with illness.

I am sure in the future she will build a solid "working" pattern. Regarding her clothes she is damned if she does and if she doesn't. If she turned up looking drab the press would have a field day. Probably a lot of her clothes are on loan. Hopefully they are by UK designers. And she recently has sparkled which is great to see. God knows we need some sparkle.

Yesterday I was up and down long staircases and escalators on the Underground and at one stage as I gripped the handrail thought the P of W would have been floating up and down them and in stilletos. It made me at least straighten my back if not let go my grip.

Nanny27 Sun 27-Sept-26 10:46:23

Catherine also promotes British designers through her outfits. Catherine Walker, Alexander Mqueen and Jenny Packam are some examples. She has frequently been seen to dress her children in high street labels too, M&S, Zara etc.
Her considerable work with earlh years education is not to be sniffed at. To label her work as 'fluff' is incredibly rude.

M0nica Sun 27-Sept-26 16:34:58

Nanny27

Catherine also promotes British designers through her outfits. Catherine Walker, Alexander Mqueen and Jenny Packam are some examples. She has frequently been seen to dress her children in high street labels too, M&S, Zara etc.
Her considerable work with earlh years education is not to be sniffed at. To label her work as 'fluff' is incredibly rude.

and ill informed.