Gransnet forums

Chat

Long dress, high heels and a flight of steels

(50 Posts)
HelterSkelter1 Wed 23-Sept-26 05:19:45

Even just thinking about that combination and I would trip up.

The Princess of Wales seemed to float down the stairs last night. Tom Cruise did take her hand, but notmally no one does.

How does she do it. High heels over cobbles sometimes. Up and down kerbs. What a skill. I can remember running up and down stairs when young...albeit not in sky high heels.

Nowadays I grip the hand rail and I can't remember when that changed. Never mind I am unlikely to be invited to a film premiere and if I were I would need a Tom Cruise either side.

HelterSkelter1 Wed 23-Sept-26 05:27:41

Flight of stairs!! Where are my glasses.

NotSpaghetti Wed 23-Sept-26 05:47:46

Not sure she really wanted him to.
It looked to me that he was insistent and it would be awkward to "shake him off".
grin

madeleine45 Wed 23-Sept-26 06:15:31

Ah , gone are the days when I was giving exhibition pase doble or tango, and the 4 inch stiletto didnt worry me at all. Now I wonder how I even managed to walk on them at all, but oh how well you could twirl around on them!

Purplepixie Wed 23-Sept-26 06:22:20

I loved my high heels but haven’t worn any since I sprained my ankle 15 years ago.
I wouldn’t want Tom Cruise anyway!

mrsfeather Wed 23-Sept-26 06:32:55

madeleine45

Ah , gone are the days when I was giving exhibition pase doble or tango, and the 4 inch stiletto didnt worry me at all. Now I wonder how I even managed to walk on them at all, but oh how well you could twirl around on them!

madeleine45 - you have done so many things in your life - I read in wonder! Love your posts by the way.

Usedtobeblonde Wed 23-Sept-26 06:36:10

I also lived in stilettos back in the day and could walk all day in them.
Now I can't walk up the road even in flats but at least I did it once.
Happy days.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Sept-26 07:22:54

I still wear high heels, stilettos, wedges and block heels. It took some practice after various lockdowns.

I am not ready to give in yet, too young (69) 😹😹😹

Allsorts Wed 23-Sept-26 07:28:05

I lived in high heels, loved them, never had a fall, but after many years my back gave up.

Shel1951 Wed 23-Sept-26 07:33:37

I once purchased a cottage with a spiral staircase, the previous owners had carpeted it, it was one of the attractions that persuaded me to buy,
After I knew why they carpeted the beautiful black wrought iron staircase, the amount of times I lost footing and slid down on my derriere, and I wore flats

HelterSkelter1 Wed 23-Sept-26 07:36:12

It was the long dress and flight of stairs which amazes me. I would catch a heel in the hem. Or the pile of the carpet eould tip me off balance. Or just the flashing of the photographers would dazzle me...maybe they don't flash anymore.

She manages to very gracefully float along with a smile.

TerriBull Wed 23-Sept-26 08:06:15

I went into lower heels when I stopped working and was out and about with a pushchair. Gradually over the years my world has become flatter. Trainers are pretty universal. I often look down at women's feet and see Adidas trainers with the stripes down the side I have 3 pairs. Working women now are far more sensible than they were in my day, they keep their high heels in the office and travel in trainers. I still have some heels, they come out occasionally very, if the occasion calls for that mode of dressing up. I don't enjoy wearing them though. Comfort rules now!

Sago Wed 23-Sept-26 09:06:44

I wear flats 90% of the time but when I do wear my heels I feel great, a lot of clothes look better too.

I thought Tom Cruise was a gentleman taking her hand, thing is he probably understood because at only 5.7” he apparently sometimes wears heels!

AGAA4 Wed 23-Sept-26 10:11:12

I used to wear high heels all day in work and was on my feet a lot.
Now I wear my walking boots, slippers and trainers most of the time. Won't wear high heels again.

A friend who always war high heels even at 70 caught the heel while crossing the road and fell breaking her arm. Luckily there were plenty of people around and she was rescued.

Chestnut Wed 23-Sept-26 10:26:57

I've always worried about the Royal ladies tripping and falling. Remembering the late Queen who was still making her way up and down steps in heeled shoes at her age. I worried for her!

I still worry but mostly for Camilla and Catherine now. This is probably because I have balance problems and have never been able to wear stilettoes or even very high heels. I would go over if I did, so that makes me worry about others. I'm not worried about celebs including Meghan who I consider a celeb.

HelterSkelter1 Wed 23-Sept-26 11:01:16

I also worried about the late Queen. I felt she needed someone walking beside her and supporting her hand. Long walks up and down aisles and carpeted walkways could have been disastrous. I think only once did I see Prince Charle, as as he was, supporting her arm at the opening of Parliament. And I may be wrong

MayBee70 Wed 23-Sept-26 12:06:51

The dress was really long, too. I worry about my foot catching on my pyjama bottoms when I walk downstairs. I watch with incredulity when people wear stilettos even more so when some of them don’t even have backs.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 23-Sept-26 12:25:45

I remember being in awe watching Catherine when she was younger with a babe in arms descending the steps of a plane in vertiginous heels! Not even holding the handrail 😁

M0nica Wed 23-Sept-26 13:39:38

I do not wear heels. I tried them for a year when I first left school then ditched them, not for flats but for louis heels/kitten heels.

I have always had poor balance and have also always refused to ever wear clothes for any reason if they are uncomfortable to wear. So I may have entered the adult world when every woman under 25 wore vertigenous heels,. I was the exception that proved the rule.

greyfur16 Wed 23-Sept-26 13:45:29

Woman wears heels, amazing.

Nanny27 Wed 23-Sept-26 14:52:44

Yes. Catherine walzing elegantly down an enormous set of airplane steps wearing stilletto heels whilst holding a baby and smiling broadly at assembled photographers. You gotta love that girl.

HelterSkelter1 Wed 23-Sept-26 15:34:04

Yes I am amazed greyfur16. A flight of stairs. No hand rail to hold. A very long flowing floaty dress and her usual vertiginous heels. And at speed. Catherine is no sloich.

As I said in my OP how does she do it. What a skill. And she doesnt even seem to look down. Although she probsbly did this time on top of Tom Cruise's head. Maybe she held his hand as he was in his Cubans

Oreo Wed 23-Sept-26 16:06:16

😂

Oreo Wed 23-Sept-26 16:07:04

She always looks lovely, the dress is beautiful, her hair looked a bit different.

Frogoet Wed 23-Sept-26 16:42:57

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if she dressed like a human. Then women wouldn’t be trying to copy the unreal fashions portrayed.
No role model.
Just a clothes horse with money.
I’d be impressed if she broke out of tge mould and behaved like a real mother and working woman.