Gransnet forums

Chat

Sad dogâ€ŠđŸ˜°đŸ¶

(25 Posts)
Witzend Tue 22-Sept-26 09:35:47

Shazmo24

Did you ask the other people who had the dog the previous few days if they had experienced the same thing? If not then what did they do ??

They didn’t, not as badly, but then the dog knew them better.
She was very happy when owners came to collect her last night!

After having had to throw out two entire bowls of uneaten food, I found a way to tempt her. First time, mixed a bit of the tuna I was using anyway into her food, second time, yesterday, was making a fish pie, so mixed a little cooked fish in with her dinner.
Two perfectly licked-out food bowls! đŸ™‚đŸ¶

sazz1 Tue 22-Sept-26 09:28:56

I have 2 dogs and if OH is off out for the day neither will eat or drink while he's gone. He went for 3 days once to stay with a sick relative but they did eat and drink the 2nd day

Shazmo24 Mon 21-Sept-26 19:40:48

Did you ask the other people who had the dog the previous few days if they had experienced the same thing? If not then what did they do ??

missdeke Mon 21-Sept-26 19:11:31

Dogs know how to make carers and owners feel guilty. When I was younger we used to look after one of mum's colleague's dogs. As soon as he saw his owner packing he started limping and pretending he was really poorly. Once he arrived at our house and me and my siblings made a fuss of him he was fine, but still sulked for a day when the his owner came home.

TwiceAsNice Mon 21-Sept-26 17:30:50

When we go on holiday we have a local person who has a pet sitting business come in twice a day to feed our 4 cats and give them some attention. They “know” we are going as soon as the suitcases appear the day before. One particularly sulks for a day after we get back to punish us.

Gin Mon 21-Sept-26 16:42:23

We and our three sons all have dogs that all know each other and happily stay in the four homes. We went out for the day on Saturday and my son came and looked after our rescue dog she just loves us all

foxie48 Mon 21-Sept-26 16:01:49

We have a dog sitter and the ones we use all know our dog. He's perfectly happy as he's in his own home and in his usual routine. It's expensive but we feel it's worth it and it also means the house is looked after in our absence.

DrWatson Mon 21-Sept-26 15:23:31

For Shelflife, we don't have a dog, but we've had an assortment of cats, and I certainly recognise that "sulk for a day".

These days they either get someone visiting each day - they prefer their own territory - or we've found a good cattery for them to stay. Back when we first got our first cat, for our first weekend away we chose a cattery, and our Tortie did NOT deem it suitable at all. She sulked for about 3 days when she came home - and we realised that to her, she thought she'd been dumped again, did not understand holidays.

Most of our subsequent cats have stayed at a wonderful cattery we found, and we learned to take a couple of toys and an old jumper too. Once they've been once, and realise they'll be home again in due course, that makes it easier.

With dogs, I'd guess they'd find things easier if you'd visited their owner before, helps the transition?

25Avalon Mon 21-Sept-26 14:19:00

We take holidays where our dog can come with us these days. With our previous dog when we went to NZ for 3 weeks we left her with dd who had lived at home when the dog was a puppy. So much better than kennels or somebody she didn’t know in a strange place. Some people now have a dog and house sitter so dog stays home and sitter usually meets dog before and dog does not have unfamiliar place to contend with as well as missing owner.

4allweknow Mon 21-Sept-26 14:14:55

Never experienced that. Have looked after friend's dog's for 3 days to couple if weeks. A couple of tgem actually start getting excited when the owner's car turns into end of the road, jump out car and bark at the door. All just eat as usual but, I do have to confess I do add a bit of fish to their evening meal but just as a treat. (Salmon is especially enjoyed) Perhaps if dog is elderly it is just not accepting all the changes.

poppysmum Mon 21-Sept-26 14:08:12

probably going from one home to another does not help the poor darling on top of her regular carers being away.
apart from the problems caused by ill treatment before we had him, mine sticks to me like glue now i am on my own. I really do not know how he could cope if i was away
dogs do miss people mourn and have same emotions as we do

Nanny27 Mon 21-Sept-26 13:52:25

watermeadow

Our dogs are part of our families. Loved and cared for and valued. I cannot begin to understand why anyone would refer to any pet as ‘it’. That is as offensive as referring to a baby as ‘it’.

Round here farmers who have dogs, well cared for and highly valued, always seem to refer to the dog as 'it'.
I don't think it is implying they don't care for the dog, it just seems the way they speak.

Witzend Mon 21-Sept-26 09:56:53

Tenko

Since retiring we often look after friends and neighbours dogs . We ask the owners for a piece of their clothing , a blanket etc plus their bedding , all to calm the dog . As we have a dog , we ask the owners to bring their dog over to meet our dog prior to agreeing .

Yes, I think I’ll tell the owner (I don’t know her very well either) that another time (if there is one) she should include a piece of her own (not freshly washed!) clothing, i.e. something with her smell on it, for comfort, in the dog’s bed.

At least đŸ¶ does have a very nice, comfortable-looking big bed!

Shelflife Sun 20-Sept-26 23:01:35

Its a big responsibility looking after someone's dog ! We dont have a dog but if we did he / she would be in kennels if we went away. We do have a cat and I wouldn't dream of asking anyone to take care of her while we were away. My cat my responsibility ! She goes into the cattery and is fine - comfy quarters with access to an outside enclosure. On her first day back home she ignores me as if to say " how dare you cart me off "!!

Tenko Sun 20-Sept-26 21:21:56

Since retiring we often look after friends and neighbours dogs . We ask the owners for a piece of their clothing , a blanket etc plus their bedding , all to calm the dog . As we have a dog , we ask the owners to bring their dog over to meet our dog prior to agreeing .

watermeadow Sun 20-Sept-26 18:20:52

Our dogs are part of our families. Loved and cared for and valued. I cannot begin to understand why anyone would refer to any pet as ‘it’. That is as offensive as referring to a baby as ‘it’.

Smileless2012 Sun 20-Sept-26 18:01:37

At least she's eating Witzend. Having dogs doesn't come cheap and I agree that proper arrangements should be made. Sounds as if you've done a good job looking after her; well done smile.

MayBee70 Sun 20-Sept-26 17:56:53

My dog, being a lockdown dog and totally Velcro ( unless she’s off lead and sees a rabbit; not that we let that happen any more) lives on the sofa curled up next to me. She doesn’t actually suffer from separation anxiety but, on the rare occasion that I do have to leave her in the house on her own I put her in the kitchen because there’s nothing that she can damage or damage herself with. She has piles of duvets in an open crate so she’s warm and comfy. However, as a dog that is a complete scavenger and will eat anything and everything, especially if it’s potentially dangerous, when I leave her I’ll give her a special treat. She never eats it until I return.

Witzend Sun 20-Sept-26 17:29:52

fancythat, when ours was old, not well and off her food, the vet told me to cook some cheap white fish - nice and smelly! - and mix it with rice. He said that was what they gave any who had to stay offer ops.
Except for during her very last days, she did eat and apparently enjoyed it.

Witzend Sun 20-Sept-26 17:26:54

Smileless2012

It's not fair on the dog or the ones looking after her to be left with people she doesn't really know especially when 3 days is spent in one house, and then 3 days in another.

You'll all be pleased her owners are back tomorrow.

I do agree, it’s not fair. IMO she was pining. But is just now eating her dinner, phew! Still no walkies, though


I wish people would make proper arrangements for their dogs. I know it’s expensive, but ours always went into kennels when we went away - there were no relatives I could leave her with, and in any case I wouldn’t really have trusted anyone else. She was very much attached to me, so if anyone hd left the front door open she’d have been zooming out, trying to find me! Nobody else could ever let her off the lead during a walk - she’d be charging straight home to me. đŸ¶â€ïž

Smileless2012 Sun 20-Sept-26 16:02:45

It's not fair on the dog or the ones looking after her to be left with people she doesn't really know especially when 3 days is spent in one house, and then 3 days in another.

You'll all be pleased her owners are back tomorrow.

YorkLady Sun 20-Sept-26 15:48:25

This happens to us when we look after our daughter’s dog.
He sulks for the first day
then he’s back to normal.
I usually put an item of their warn clothing on the settee, next to where he sleeps. It is said that they love to have the odour of their owners nearby.

Whingey Sun 20-Sept-26 15:03:02

He misses his owners.Left ours in kennels for 2 weeks and he was very thin😞 soon joined the tail Waggers club when he saw us 😄

fancythat Sun 20-Sept-26 14:18:04

One of our previous young dogs had to have a complicated operation once.
The vet was keeping it in[cant remember if overnight or for a few days].
The vet assistant told us that the dog would not eat, even "fresh chicken".
I went into the vets.
It was feeling very sorry for itself.
I had to whisper sweet nothings to it for an hour, before it started to eat to recover.

My point being, if you look after the same dog another time, could you have some voice recordings ready, of it's owners?

Witzend Sun 20-Sept-26 13:37:52

We’re looking after a neighbour’s muttley (as dd2 calls them) for just 3 days - another neighbour had her for the previous 3.
We didn’t really know her at all, so for at least the first 24 hours she just lay in her bed, very sad, wouldn’t eat or drink, wouldn’t go for a walk. I was really getting worried about her.

Thank goodness she’s perked up a bit this morning, has actually eaten her breakfast, is responding more, but still won’t go for a walk. She has access to the garden but I don’t think she’s pooed!
Thank goodness the owners are back tomorrow evening.

We’ve looked after a different neighbour’s dog before - he didn’t really know us either, but eating, drinking and walkies were no problem at all!