Gransnet forums

Chat

Tropic Skincare

(35 Posts)
Esmay Sat 19-Sept-26 19:35:50

I haven't seen a neighbour for about two years and I'm not even sure what her house number has suddenly has posted a Tropic Skincare brochure through my letter box.
Prior to this in a chance meeting she said that she was coming round .
It's so expensive .
Have any gransnetters experienced this make up and what feels like the hard sell?

Esmay Sat 19-Sept-26 19:37:02

house number is -I mean !

Calendargirl Sat 19-Sept-26 20:10:45

Never heard of it.

Just say you like and use another make, thanks all the same.

Sago Sat 19-Sept-26 20:14:22

It is an excellent brand, really good quality and very natural.

It was established by Suzie Ma then Alan Sugar got on board.

MT62 Sat 19-Sept-26 20:25:02

It’s nice stuff, but like you said, it’s really expensive.
Just tell her that when she calls for the book.
Thanks, but no thanks.

LOUISA1523 Sat 19-Sept-26 20:36:16

They call it social selling...buts its MLM ....I have a neighbour who is an 'ambassador' ...I don't take her on

petra Sat 19-Sept-26 20:37:40

My daughter has been a tropic Ambassador since its inception in 2011. The products are excellent, no chemical additives.

petra Sat 19-Sept-26 20:43:53

Sago

It is an excellent brand, really good quality and very natural.

It was established by Suzie Ma then Alan Sugar got on board.

Did you know Suzie has paid Alan Sugar back the £200,000 he invested. She is now the sole owner.
Most of my daughter’s customers are all over the UK. This is through her FB page.

PaperMonster2 Sat 19-Sept-26 20:58:26

My friend sells it, but only to a few of her friends. It is good stuff. I have certain items that I buy from her.

Patsy70 Sat 19-Sept-26 21:06:16

Yes, I use some Tropic products, as my daughter in law used to be an ambassador. Natural and excellent quality.

dragonfly46 Sat 19-Sept-26 21:25:04

I actually tried it and hated it. I am not usually sensitive to brands but this brought my skin out in blotches.

notgran Sun 20-Sept-26 07:21:24

If it's a neighbour you haven't seen for 2 years, you don't have any link or personal obligation to spend your money in helping her business. It's at best very cheeky of her. It is expensive, I have never bought any but have been given a couple of items from friends as a present. Nothing special, nicely packaged and as it is so expensive I will never buy any. I dislike Tupperware/Avon etc methods of selling stuff by guilt. My advice avoid.

HelterSkelter1 Sun 20-Sept-26 08:19:27

I agree notgran. No obligation for OP to buy anything.

Tupperware I did buy 50 years ago and found the parties quite fun and a way to meet new neighbours. The product was good as well. I still use daily several items bought then.

Personally I wouldnt buy any skincare or cosmetics as my skin is very sensitive now. So I have a perfect excuse if I were asked.

Slimswim Sun 20-Sept-26 12:19:00

Our daughter in law is an Ambassador and I can highly recommend the products. Google why it’s good for the environment. They also do a lot for charity. If you buy and you’re not happy they offer a full refund within 30 days of purchasing. It might seem expensive but I can vouch that you only need to use a small amount of the product.

Visgir1 Sun 20-Sept-26 12:29:36

I have used it in the past. My chum was an Ambassador but she has given up. You can buy direct on line too.

pably15 Sun 20-Sept-26 13:40:15

just tell her there's only one make that you can use as you have sensitive skin

Esmay Sun 20-Sept-26 14:50:52

I have lots of Lisa Armstrong cosmetics from Avon .
I'll be using those up
I don't buy Avon anymore . The stuff is often out of stock . I've had a succession of unreliable Avon ladies .
Back to Boots .

Esmay Sun 20-Sept-26 14:53:04

Thank you ladies.

NanKate Sun 20-Sept-26 17:23:34

I bought some products from my friend’s daughter but thought it was too expensive so said I didn’t want the brochure anymore and they understood.

greyfur16 Sun 20-Sept-26 17:32:16

Some of it has a rather "earthy" smell. It's pleasant enough stuff but nothing special.

62Granny Sun 20-Sept-26 17:45:11

I have heard of it it is in a similar vein to Avon , obviously more expensive the more you sell the more commission you earn. They hold parties and do make up parties , recruitment of other agents is another money earner. I think their products are good quality , the person I know used to suffer terribly with acne and there is no sign of it now she has beautiful glowing skin now. The company was started by Susie Ma, who is currently guest Entrepreneur on Dragons Den, she started off making products in her mother's kitchen and selling them at craft type fairs.

Esmay Mon 21-Sept-26 13:33:26

Susie Ma could be worth as much as 100 million.
Wish I'd thought of it !
I used to buy a lot of Avon when one of my friends was a representative.
She's moved way and her round has been taken over by a succession of people .
They didn't have her commitment.
I'm happy buying my cosmetics in Boots and Superdrug these days .
And how my Boots points have added up !

Humbertbear Mon 21-Sept-26 14:05:30

I know someone who sells this and love the products i have been gifted. This summer I purchased the SPF50 tinted face moisturiser and it is excellent and gives a smooth finish.

win Mon 21-Sept-26 14:33:14

notgran

If it's a neighbour you haven't seen for 2 years, you don't have any link or personal obligation to spend your money in helping her business. It's at best very cheeky of her. It is expensive, I have never bought any but have been given a couple of items from friends as a present. Nothing special, nicely packaged and as it is so expensive I will never buy any. I dislike Tupperware/Avon etc methods of selling stuff by guilt. My advice avoid.

Nothing cheeky about posting a brochure through the door. That is called canvassing. Avon ladies do that in every street around them as do gardeners looking for work. Just tell her no thank you if you don't want to buy. You do not have to ask her in either. What is the problem??? Different if she rang the door bell and pestered you.

Juicylucy Mon 21-Sept-26 15:45:41

It’s up market Avon it’s always a hard sell from the reps. Nothing great about. Proceed with caution.