Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 19th September 2026

(57 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 19-Sept-26 04:55:47

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark but dry start to the day here in Brackley .
Today , I have a coach trip to Crich Tramway Museum, near Matlock Bath ,should have around 4 hours there .
I myself are familiar with the area , as having had relatives on the Notts/Derby borders .
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

Liberty Sat 19-Sept-26 08:12:57

Good morning from a dull and,as yet,dry Suffolk. We are definitely slowing down and sleeping more as the days shorten.

I hope to be able to get into the garden for more tidying up and sorting out and perhaps some ironing. Apart from that no plans so a restful day beckons.

We had a delicious afternoon tea in Norwich yesterday and came home with 3 boxes of things we couldn’t eat there.

Happy birthday GrandmaBatty and I hope Mick and Gingster have good trips today and all have a pleasant day.

dragonfly46 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:08:24

Good morning from a dull Leicestershire.

I have two magpies pecking at my lawn. I suspect I have leatherjackets which is a nuisance as I have a new mower being installed on Tuesday.
I will pour some soapy water ion it later and see what comes to the surface.

Happy Birthday Grandmabatty and I hope you have a good day with your mum Susan.
Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Gelisa Sat 19-Sept-26 08:04:13

Good morning from a wet Morecambe Bay. It promises to dry up later and become very windy.
Yesterday’s trip to the Preston garage went well, with the only delay on the road being behind a long line of traffic that could not get past a couple of traditional rather beautiful horse drawn gypsy caravans. Despite there being no charge for the work, they washed the car as well.
Today we have some turf to pick up to patch our grass. The original field grass was coming through in places so that’s has been weed killed. I will dig that out and put the new turf in place. If I get that done quickly I will get a client’s grass cut. DH is still not up to doing it.
A very Happy Birthday Grandmabatty good news from R&L Another beautiful quilt GMattie I don’t know how you do it the only quilt I’ve ever done took me about 5 years though I did it all by hand.
Enjoy your trip Mick and everyone else, take care🌸

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:00:04

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s wet we had rain intermittently during the night and today more showers are forecast with a high of 19°C. A watery sun is trying to make an appearance.

Youngest daughter and son in law are off to Chester races today. Their annual trip, staying over in a nice hotel with a table booked for dinner at Hickory’s. Their annual trip Boy Wonder has a football match so another of the dads will bring him home so I’ll be with L’il Miss only until he gets in. I’ve been warned he’ll be ravenous! Mid afternoon our Yorkshire Lass and her husband are taking up the baton and staying overnight with the children.

I’m grateful. I seem to have lost my confidence for ‘overnighters’ there without Himself. Funny isn’t it how we can appear brave or confident about some things yet not others?

Many happy returns of the day to you Grandmabatty nice to be made a fuss of. You are well loved. Riches beyond rubies indeed.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Sept-26 07:58:06

Good morning Mick and all

I hope the trip goers have a fab day and stay dry.

Happy Birthday Grandmabatty 🎂🍾🌺🥂

A quick local shop this morning, then waiting for my sister and her family to arrive. Lots of chat and a stroll up the road to a nice Mediterranean restaurant. They are staying over so no rush home.

Lovely quilt Grandmattie

Thinking of those with troubles or illness 🌺

latedecember1963 Sat 19-Sept-26 07:55:10

Good morning everyone from a damp Lancashire.

Happy birthday, Grandmabatty. Hope you have a lovely day. 🎂

Happy birthday to your Mum, Susan. Even if she doesn't know exactly that it's her birthday, hopefully she'll have a sense that she's being made an extra fuss of and is loved. 💕

The finished quilt is very striking, GrandMattie. I love the turquoise.

I'm sorry you can't go yo your planned show, Madeleine. Do you have a friend who lives locally who you could have days out with so that you have some back up if you need some assistance?
You sound fiercely independent, just like my Mum was, and I know it's hard to realise that sometimes people are happy to help but don't want to step on people's feelings.

I'm glad your cataract operation went well, BlueSaphire. Take it carefully, but you know the routine by now.

What lovely news about your great niece, Bellasnana. I know what you mean about your sister missing out. I've always thought my Dad would have loved my children if he'd lived long enough to meet them.

Yesterday some of you said about missing children/ grandchildren after the summer holiday. I was exactly the same with my 2. I loved the break in routine during the holidays and enjoyed their company.
Because I worked in education I didn't have the stress of trying to fit a few weeks annual leave across the holidays which probably helped!

I'm not sure what our plans are today.
DD is here for the weekend so we'll see what she fancies.

Enjoy your jaunt to the transpirt museum, Mick. I hope the weather is kinder, than your wet trip to Bath.

Wishing you all the best day possible. 🌻

Jaxjacky Sat 19-Sept-26 07:52:02

Morning from S Hants, dry and due to be windy again like yesterday.
Happy Birthday Grandmabatty 🎂🥂, have a lovely day and evening.
More pruning was done yesterday, it was quite chilly in that wind, the courgette needs to come out, it’s done. The whole raised vegetable bed will have muck dug in and left over winter.
Tesco delivered everything yesterday so all stocked up. I’ll be cooking chicken and leek today, it’ll be frozen as the basis of a pie for next week when my brother visits.
Might call in the local later, MrJ played bowls last night.
Good news R&L
🦩

Ashcombe Sat 19-Sept-26 07:47:36

Good morning from a dull and breezy Torbay.

Yesterday we had lunch at a local bistro which is a manageable walk for me. In the evening we attended a wedding reception locally for a young couple whom we met at our local (The Babbacombe Inn) where they both worked. We felt honoured to be invited and were made very welcome.

I hope you enjoy your respective coach trips, Mick and Gingster.

Happy birthday, Grandmabatty!

I hope you see a flicker of recognition in your dear Mum today, Susan56.

Unlike our busy grans, including those who admirably care for grandchildren, I need no encouragement to sit - my arthritic joints ensure that - although I recognise the importance of keeping moving.

DH and I are on duty today for the matinée performance of The Mirror Crack’d, our theatre’s contribution to the Agatha Christie festival being celebrated currently. It has been very popular with a few full houses this week so we expect to be busy. DH is manager whilst I’m a steward.

Happy weekend, everyone! 🦩💐🦩🥰🦩

Redcar Sat 19-Sept-26 07:43:02

Good morning everyone from mid Essex. It’s mild out, with some blue sky and quite a lot of cloud. It looks as though it will be a warm and dry week ahead.
Yesterday’s bingo session was good, especially as I won some cash! Always nice to see friends and catch up on village gossip!
A few gardening tasks planned for today but nothing too strenuous. Both DDs and families are busy today but hope they’ll call in tomorrow.

Happy Birthday grandmabatty I hope you have a lovely weekend celebrating!

susan I hope that your mother has as enjoyable a birthday as is possible for her and that it’s not too distressing for you.

Good news for you rosesandlilac! And well done for getting rid of the plastic containers!

What can I say madeleine, it must be so hard to accept that physical disabilities prevent you from doing the things you have always done and would love to be able to continue to do. I hope you can find somewhere interesting to go today that doesn’t make your pain worse. Don’t give up!

Thinking of those who are struggling and hoping that life gets a bit easier for you today.

Have as good a day as possible everyone.

Gagagran Sat 19-Sept-26 07:42:50

Happy Birthday Grandmabatty. Glad you are having some nice treats and hope the gall bladder doesn't spoil your dinner this evening!
I had mine removed in 1982 (huge surgical scar as no laparoscopy in those days) I still have to be careful and avoid acidic, spicy or rich foods.

I also echo the kindly meant advice to GM and Madeleine. by concerned posters above.

Greyduster Sat 19-Sept-26 07:41:37

Happy Birthday, Grandmabatty🎉🎈🎂. Enjoy your day!

Marzipan22 Sat 19-Sept-26 07:40:59

Good morning from Cornwall where it's overcast and a bit damp and I've made it out to my patio in my Dry Robe. Yay!!! The nurse at the surgery put a different dressing on my feet and they're so much more comfortable. So today I'm Going Out Somewhere. Because the world is my Cornish oyster living where I do I must rein myself in and not run before I can hobble. There's a wonderful specialist nursery on an easy bus route, with a pop up café (home-made cakes, yum) and I know that among their hundreds of plants they have a compact verbena plant I want, so I think I'll venture there.

Last evening I had a sudden visit from my 10-year-old granddaughter. I sewed while she drew horses. It was peaceful and relaxing which she loves. I do wonder about her future - I asked her about the layout of her school and she proceeded to lie on my rug and use six A4 sheets to draw a complex plan of the school. An architect in the budding maybe?

Yesterday a blackbird came and started eating the berries on my pyracantha. 14 in one go this time, though I've seen it devour 30 at a time. Oof.

Well, I'd better go and get ready for my Great Adventure, all six miles there and back. 😃

Greyduster Sat 19-Sept-26 07:40:17

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where it has been raining by the the look of it. I hope you enjoy your trip today, Mick. I remember trams from being a small child and so it was very nostalgic for me when we visited.

Last night’s performance of King Lear at the Crucible was mesmerising and brought a standing ovation for Ian McDiarmid and the cast. I drove over to DDs in awful weather so that I could go with them in their car, and drove back in dark and pouring rain too. No fun at all.

I intend to have a very quiet weekend. Just a bit of shopping to stock up my new fridge, and then ‘suck it and see’. I hope to speak to DS at some point.

RosesandLilac I had a “fatty lump” on my shin and got very worked up about it. The doctor said it would go away on its own, and it did.

Have the best day you can, folks.

Gagagran Sat 19-Sept-26 07:31:11

Good Morning everyone from the central south coast. It seems we had some rain overnight. Always seems to happen when the window cleaner has been!.
He cleaned the inside of the large patio doors too and we had an interesting chat. He is Hungarian and has been in the UK for 15 years and loves it. He goes back on holiday but would never wish to live there again. He is a hard worker and very obliging. He told me about his four sons and how he couldn't speak for two days after the fourth one was born as he had wished for a daughter so much!

DH has a coffee and cake ride this morning with his cycle club but I have nothing much on the agenda apart from family and friends telephone calls and WhatsApp messaging. Something will crop up - it always does.

Kind thoughts to all our GNs with struggle or worries of any kind and hope that we all have the best day possible.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 19-Sept-26 07:30:06

Happy birthday G’batty! 🎉

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 19-Sept-26 07:29:09

Morning all from West Oxfordshire.

Yesterday was busy with a visit to the Hairdresser, a quick shop in Waitrose and some time hand quilting my enormous quilt.

I am not due to go anywhere today. I have a stack of ironing. It’s my turn to cook dinner - maybe toad in the hole and more quilting.

Have a good day. Autumn seems to have arrived.

ginny Sat 19-Sept-26 07:28:56

Good morning. It sounds as if it is rather windy outside.
Lovely day yesterday at Waddesdon Manor, a beautiful NT property. Ended up with the company of two DDs.
Happy birthday Grandmabatty.
Today we shall do our local food shop although we need very little as we go away on Monday. I have a pedicure appointment later DD2 will be here this afternoon so that I can alter a dress for her. I hope to do some packing too.
This evening we are going to friends.
Wishing all a good day.

brook2704 Sat 19-Sept-26 07:28:28

Good morning everyone from Cambridge where I think it’s a dry cloudy start to the day
A very Happy Birthday grandmabatty enjoy your special day today with friends and family 💕🥂🎂💐
Thank you all for your kind wishes yesterday, I arrived safely at DD1s early evening and was picked up at the newly opened Cambridge South station. Pizza dinner with the family and then watched a film on their tv screen. They’ve one of these big pull down screens that they project the image onto so it’s really like being at the cinema. Not sure what’s planned for today, the boys both have early football matches so will see them later. First though I need to wander down to the kitchen and get a cup of tea
Great news roses, so good to have the all clear
Just waiting to hear from Dh at home as what he’s got planned for today - I did leave a list ….. 😂
Hope everyone has the best day they can, take care all 💐

Bellasnana Sat 19-Sept-26 07:25:21

Wishing you a very happy birthday dear Grandmabatty. I hope you have the lovely day you so deserve.🎂🥂🍾🥳

Gingster Sat 19-Sept-26 07:23:35

Good morning and I’m getting ready to, like Mick, to go on a coach outing. It’s with the church group and we go somewhere every year.
This year it’s to Leonardslee gardens near Horsham, Sussex.
🎶‘and I think it’s going to rain today’. 🎶.

Typical isn’t it as we’ve been praying for rain. Never mind it will be nice to have the company of lots of friends .

Karma I do so agree with you but ……look who’s talking??? 😂.
Please ladies just learn the art of relaxation and just
‘Sit’ for a while.

I hope you all have a good day.
🌻🍁

Bellasnana Sat 19-Sept-26 07:16:15

Good morning from Malta where it is cloudy with a forecast high of 32°C.

The heavens opened yesterday just as DD3 arrived at 7.45am to drop the boys off.

DGS1 had his hands over his ears as he was scared of the thunder which was very loud, and poor DD3 dropped their lunch so pasta sauce was washed away.

It was quite fierce for some time and the road looked like a rushing river, but the boys were fine and even played outside when it died down as they wanted to use the small umbrellas I have kept from my own children and DGD.

We had a good day, the sun came out again by noon amd they went home at 4pm.

My niece gave birth to her little girl at 3.45am yesterday weighing 2.9kgs. I’ve had a photo and she really is a beautiful baby. I felt emotional as she is the 6th grandchild my darling sister didn’t get to meet. She hasn’t got a name yet but I expect it will be something ‘unusual’ to match her older brother and sister.

I’m having coffee with a friend this morning and need to get a move on as she always likes to meet early and, of course, I have slept in today.

Rain is threatening again do hope I stay dry. It’s too hot to put a raincoat on!

The boys are coming for a sleepover tonight.

I will. now hurriedly drink my tea and read your posts.

Hope you all have a good day.💕

luluaugust Sat 19-Sept-26 07:15:30

Good morning from an overcast W Kent. A little light shopping this morning and then a cake to make this afternoon.
Honestly gM and Madeleine I don’t know how you do so much I seem to just run out of steam now.
Best wishes

Grandmabatty Sat 19-Sept-26 07:13:26

GrandMattie I meant to say I love your 'fishy' quilt!

Grandmabatty Sat 19-Sept-26 07:11:25

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 11° and damp. Madeleine I think of the Dylan Thomas lines 'rage,rage against the dying of the light.' Keep raging. Susan 💐
Yesterday my car was serviced, washed and hoovered. The house was hoovered too. The bathroom cleaned, the ironing done. I also cleared out a shelf in my bookcase. So a successful day.
Today is my birthday. I'm meeting my friend and her daughter for breakfast at the garden centre. This afternoon dd is bringing round the boys to wish me happy birthday then tonight dd and dsil are taking me out for dinner. Ds is coming to see me tomorrow. My aunt and uncle delivered flowers yesterday when I was out. So a very pleasant day ahead. Have a good day all.

karmalady Sat 19-Sept-26 07:01:01

Oh wonderful about the lump being fatty, very good news indeed RosesandLilac