Gransnet forums

Chat

It Must Be Autumn Even Though It's Not September....

(37 Posts)
Desdemona Tue 25-Aug-26 11:43:53

They have as much right to be here as we do.

henetha Tue 25-Aug-26 11:43:40

I quite like spiders and mostly just leave them alone. I just don't like them in the bedroom at night though, so catch them with my spider catcher and put them in the spare bedroom. I used to put them outside until I read that this can kill them.
There was a huge one (really really huge) in the kitchen a couple of weeks ago, and since then I've seen three smaller ones. So I guess it's their mating season.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Aug-26 11:13:32

I feel sorry for arachnophobes, I can understand why they look scary, but they don’t worry me in the slightest. Although one we met in the Maldives the size of a saucer had me standing on the bed whilst DH went for help.

It is scorpions and cockroaches that terrify me.

nanna8 Tue 25-Aug-26 09:22:27

That pic looks a bit like an Australian huntsman. Many are as big as your hand, massive things. Maybe one came over in some fruit ? They do bite but they don’t kill you, unlike some others we have here.

pably15 Tue 25-Aug-26 08:37:17

Sarnia

Spider season! David Attenborough and Chris Packham can go on about how fascinating spiders are until the cows come home but if I see one, it's curtains. No faffing around with a glass and a piece of cardboard and then ushering them outside. They are called house spiders for a reason so they will be back. Time to get the peppermint spray out and keep a spare slipper for whacking.

totally agree, I am terrified of spiders, it's either them or me ,and it's my house, they are not welcome..

ROMILO Tue 25-Aug-26 08:29:43

Sorry arachnophobes but this one appeared in my living room yesterday, about the size of a teacup. We put it outside but I expect it will be back.

Sarnia Tue 25-Aug-26 08:11:34

Spider season! David Attenborough and Chris Packham can go on about how fascinating spiders are until the cows come home but if I see one, it's curtains. No faffing around with a glass and a piece of cardboard and then ushering them outside. They are called house spiders for a reason so they will be back. Time to get the peppermint spray out and keep a spare slipper for whacking.

Casdon Tue 25-Aug-26 08:00:23

The house martins are still nesting, so in my mind it’s not Autumn yet. When they leave is the beginning for me.

teabagwoman Tue 25-Aug-26 07:08:09

M0nica

Spiders and spider's webs in the house seem to be a year round problem in our house.

Same here.

M0nica Tue 25-Aug-26 06:57:21

Spiders and spider's webs in the house seem to be a year round problem in our house.

Abitbarmy Tue 25-Aug-26 05:28:15

I’ve been on high alert as we always start seeing them in August and I’ve counted 5 so far in the last couple of weeks. I hate it and can’t relax until it stops in November. They terrify me.

Margs Tue 25-Aug-26 04:10:11

.....because yesterday I spotted 3 spiders rampaging across the kitchen ceiling.

Spiders inviting themselves into your living space is a definite sign we're starting the run downhill towards Halloween. Sadly.