Gransnet forums

Chat

Fascinating causes of death 1632

(54 Posts)
nanna8 Sun 23-Aug-26 00:23:15

This came up on my Facebook account and I was absolutely fascinated by it. For just one year in ‘small’ London these were the causes of various deaths. Bear in mind it was during the reign of Charles 1 who was subsequently beheaded. What a hard life for many and we think we’ve got problems !

nanna8 Sun 23-Aug-26 00:25:08

Note 7 people were ‘muthered ’ presumably murdered !

MissAdventure Sun 23-Aug-26 00:58:47

Well, it certainly puts a new perspective to people who say "My piles are killing me!" (as you do)

Madmeg Sun 23-Aug-26 01:07:14

A female ancestor of mine died in the mid 1800s aged 98 and the cause of death was given as "By visitation of God". Old age I presume?

MissAdventure Sun 23-Aug-26 01:09:13

It sounds like it, I think.
Quite a poetic way of putting it, though.

Doodledog Sun 23-Aug-26 01:50:51

I feel for the poor souls who were killed by several accidents - surely one is bad enough.

BlueBelle Sun 23-Aug-26 06:00:54

I wonder what Impostume , rising of the lights (98 gone doing that) and Kings Evil were?

Greyduster Sun 23-Aug-26 06:14:40

Kings Evil was apparently a disease called scrofula which eventually just went away by itself but gave rise to the myth that it could be cured by a touch from the monarch!

Greyduster Sun 23-Aug-26 06:17:52

“Affrighted” presumably means some pour soul died of fright! Lovely term though.

BlueBelle Sun 23-Aug-26 06:31:41

So ‘imposture’ was an internal abscess with puss

BlueBelle Sun 23-Aug-26 06:36:59

Rising of the lights … apparently lights were lungs and rising was swelling so it was a breathing problem ie asthma, bronchitis etc
Isn’t this interesting !

Casdon Sun 23-Aug-26 07:44:05

I think my preference would have been to die of ‘Suddenly’, that sounds as though the least suffering was involved.

Aldom Sun 23-Aug-26 08:02:02

Yes BlueBelle lights are an old word for lungs. Not heard these days, but when I was a child my mother would buy lights from the butcher.
She boiled them to feed to our dog. smile

Allsorts Sun 23-Aug-26 08:26:26

It's a miracle we are all here. Poor soles. Suddenly seems best option.

hollysteers Sun 23-Aug-26 08:26:48

Cancer rate seems rather low for what I presume was a common cause then as now.
Possibly it was put down as other causes, i.e. consumption?

Greyduster Sun 23-Aug-26 08:27:09

“Cancer, and Wolf” was interesting. I wonder if Wolf referred to Lupus, or whether someone was actually killed by a wolf!!

LindaPat Sun 23-Aug-26 08:32:56

In "David Copperfield" ( Dickens ), Mr Micawber was frequently heard to exclaim " Oh my lights and liver!! Oh my liver and lights! "

That one was obviously buried deep inside my brain, and just popped out while reading this thread. We "did" David Copperfield for A levels ( 1974 ), so it has been buried a long time!

xxx

NotSpaghetti Sun 23-Aug-26 10:39:11

Doodledog

I feel for the poor souls who were killed by several accidents - surely one is bad enough.

I was just about to raise that!

NotSpaghetti Sun 23-Aug-26 10:40:58

Rising of the Lights
I had to look up - it's a seventeenth-century term for any death associated with respiratory trouble.

NotSpaghetti Sun 23-Aug-26 10:42:45

...as others have said!

Greyduster Sun 23-Aug-26 10:45:29

Being “prest to death” must have been pretty horrible too!

fancythat Sun 23-Aug-26 11:34:42

Teeth - 470.
How horrid.

Doesnt surprise me.

JenniRen Sun 23-Aug-26 12:10:22

That is absolutely fascinating, nanna8

I wondered what French Pox was and apparently it was syphilis which was rife at that time. Countries blamed their enemies ie the French called it the Neapolitan disease.

Overlaid and starved at nurse - accidental smothering of an infant and starvation often caused by a wet nurse having too many babies to feed at one time.
Poor little souls.

Litterpicker Sun 23-Aug-26 13:18:27

Apparently “Cancer, and Wolf” is cancer and particularly nasty cancer where the flesh is eaten into

www.mylondon.news/news/nostalgia/most-bizarre-causes-death-london-22205672

I would guess that “several accidents” means that they just haven’t separated out different kinds of accident, rather than all these people having died of several!?

Fascinating post nanna8

Maremia Sun 23-Aug-26 13:28:10

So intriguing, nanna.
Thanks be, for the NHS and modern meds.