Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it normal to talk to yourself?

(63 Posts)
GardenofEngland Fri 21-Aug-26 23:06:10

Since my husband died 4 years ago I have started either talking to his photo or just talking to myself. As a child I would come in from school and hear my mum talking to herself whilst ironing. Is that normal?

Kandinsky Sat 22-Aug-26 13:16:58

There’s a big difference between the occasional ‘right, let’s get the washing up done’ to having an actual conversation with yourself - I’d find that very concerning tbh.

fancythat Sat 22-Aug-26 11:20:10

ViceVersa

yogitree

I talk to myself, my husband (doesn't listen!), our dog, photographs of loved and lost ones whether human or animal, the birds, the bees, the plants and trees, even on occasion as someone said above, household appliances if they are misbehaving. I'd say it's normal unless you don't actually talk to other humans too.

I'm clearly abnormal then. I can often go a week without speaking to another human (apart from my husband) - even when I go shopping. So you're all talking to yourself - out loud? Really?

I will join you in being abnormal.

Thought it wasnt good to talk to yourself.
I do a bit of it if DH is away. But that is not that often.

Trisha99 Sat 22-Aug-26 11:17:22

Sasta

I read recently that it’s actually good for you, specially vocalising what you are doing or intend to do next. I can’t recall the reference where I read this but it suits me as it’s a definite trait I’m happy to employ.

I too read that it’s helpful to vocalise what you’re doing/going to do next, it’s like writing a list- helps with commitment and decision making.

Cossy Sat 22-Aug-26 11:16:21

Oh and of course I talk to the dogs, constantly.

Cossy Sat 22-Aug-26 11:15:40

Personally, I think it’s extremely normal and I don’t live alone!

labazs Sat 22-Aug-26 11:03:01

now i live alone firstly talk to myself such as; right L lets get the washing up done then we can sort the work tops out.
secondly i talk to my dog who in a way seems to understand well he always looks straight at me when i say his name!
thirdly all else fails i natter to Alexa shes very talkative

ViceVersa Sat 22-Aug-26 10:56:59

yogitree

I talk to myself, my husband (doesn't listen!), our dog, photographs of loved and lost ones whether human or animal, the birds, the bees, the plants and trees, even on occasion as someone said above, household appliances if they are misbehaving. I'd say it's normal unless you don't actually talk to other humans too.

I'm clearly abnormal then. I can often go a week without speaking to another human (apart from my husband) - even when I go shopping. So you're all talking to yourself - out loud? Really?

Shinamae Sat 22-Aug-26 10:45:50

All the time….😉

yogitree Sat 22-Aug-26 10:43:01

I talk to myself, my husband (doesn't listen!), our dog, photographs of loved and lost ones whether human or animal, the birds, the bees, the plants and trees, even on occasion as someone said above, household appliances if they are misbehaving. I'd say it's normal unless you don't actually talk to other humans too.

TerriBull Sat 22-Aug-26 10:41:11

I did say to my late mum once "you do know you talk to yourself sometimes" her "I do! and I get some very good responses" fair enough! I I talk to myself in my head, but as yet not out loud, well bar the odd expletive. I often tell the phone to shut up because of late we've been getting more nuisance calls and I don't mean from the family scams! I'm sure I'll get to the stage where I do talk to myself, hopefully not wandering about the streets doing it.

I would most definitely talk to a cat or a dog if I had one, but I would regard that as an interaction and the cats I've had did reply.

Lona Sat 22-Aug-26 10:28:59

I also read that it’s good for you, what a relief! 😅
I do it all the time and it definitely helps me to sort out problems and dilemmas.

Sasta Sat 22-Aug-26 10:20:40

I read recently that it’s actually good for you, specially vocalising what you are doing or intend to do next. I can’t recall the reference where I read this but it suits me as it’s a definite trait I’m happy to employ.

V3ra Sat 22-Aug-26 10:12:40

Even when we're in the same room I often ask if I'm talking to myself, my husband listens to stuff on his phone via his Bluetooth hearing aids so I'm not aware he can't hear me 🙄

beachcomber76 Sat 22-Aug-26 10:11:52

I do it a lot. Interesting to hear what I say sometimes. I read somewhere it's a good thing to do for your mental health/self awareness.

JamesandJon33 Sat 22-Aug-26 10:02:16

DH does it all time, and I often answer. Which gives him a bit of a jolt as he doesn’t realise he has spoken out loud.

MissAdventure Sat 22-Aug-26 09:33:18

grin

Grannybags Sat 22-Aug-26 09:30:19

I do it all the time and I don't live alone. I find I'm a very good listener!

MissAdventure Sat 22-Aug-26 09:26:48

I wouldn't speak to anyone if I didn't speak to myself, the vacuum, my shrimps, the mop, and anything, really.
It somehow doesn't seem to matter so much these days, if I'm out in public and need a good talking to.
It ensures I get two seats to my one bum on the bus, too.

Parky Sat 22-Aug-26 09:11:47

Or course I do. But if I'm out people are always talking to themselves as in hands free phones with ear buds. So just add 'oh really that's good or something. But at home I talk to myself or ask the cat what she thinks

Scribbles Sat 22-Aug-26 09:10:46

I takk to the cat; I talk to myself; I talk to the household appliances ("oh, come on, washing machine. I thought you'd be finished by now"). I talk to the plants in the garden. Why not? The cat is the only one who doesn't listen 😃.

Fallingstar Sat 22-Aug-26 08:57:44

Oh I do this quite happily, my old mum did too. And if is weird then it seems from replies on here that there are a lot of weirdos around 🤣

TheWeirdoAgain60 Sat 22-Aug-26 08:19:38

It's very normal!

I have a framed photo of my last cat who passed over the Rainbow Bridge some time ago, in the living room. I absolutely worshipped her, and she knew it, so I talk to her every day and every night, tell her what day/date it is, when I'm leaving, roughly what time I'll be back, ''the latest gossip'' as I did when she was alive.

I talk to myself all the time, tell myself off when I did something wrong, congratulate myself on doing something right, natter away, I do!

Nannylovesshopping Sat 22-Aug-26 08:01:56

I have my very best conversations with myself😀

Aldom Sat 22-Aug-26 08:01:22

Oh thank goodness for that!
I thought it was just me. grin

ViceVersa Sat 22-Aug-26 08:00:34

Do you mean actually talking to yourself out loud? I don't think I've ever done that.