Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday 19th August2026

(64 Posts)
Michael12 Wed 19-Aug-26 04:58:34

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but dry here in Brackley at the moment .
The usual routine with a bus trip to Bicester ,shop and chat to those I know.
Have lunch and watch the 1st stage of the women's Tour of Britain from Cockermouth on TV .
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

monk08 Wed 19-Aug-26 11:52:43

Marzipan flowers

Redcar Wed 19-Aug-26 11:21:47

marzipan such sad news. flowers

latedecember sorry you’re feeling down, I hope that feeling passes soon. flowers

Susan56 Wed 19-Aug-26 10:50:42

latedecember 💐

Litterpicker Wed 19-Aug-26 10:36:04

Good morning from coastal West Sussex where it is actually raining! Typically DH’s brother and his wife are calling with us at lunchtime on their way back home from Glyndebourne and we will have to go out for lunch as the kitchen fitter is finally coming to finish fitting our extractor fan which had a bash in the outer casing when it was unpacked. This was last December!! The supplier and the kitchen company were in disagreement about who was responsible. Then the fitter had to ‘fit’ us in round his current jobs. He phoned yesterday to say he’d be coming at lunchtime today - coinciding nicely with brother and sister in law. The power will have to be off so my plan for a relaxed lunch here was scuppered.

I was very upset by the news that three people had drowned in the sea at Shoreham. A young girl is in hospital. Those who died were her parents and another child. I dreamt that DH and I were in a cafe near where it happened - we know that area well as we lived in Hove at one time and two of my daughters are also in that area.

I was sad to hear of your friend’s daughter’s suicide, Marzipan. In my experience the funeral can still be a celebration of the person’s life in spite of the burden of grief. I will think of you and her family and friends on Friday.

There are many posts I’d like to respond to but I need to go and finish sorting things 🫤. Best wishes to all, especially those struggling with health or family problems 🌷

Grannyme6 Wed 19-Aug-26 10:29:02

A late good morning everyone. I’ve read through the posts and fully endorse the lovely words of comfort, advice and friendship which have been expressed to our GNs in need.

DH and I will be tackling the journey back from Dorset, avoiding the still closed A31 through the New Forest - due to reopen tomorrow. We have had some meaningful rain overnight and this morning, so perhaps that will help dampen down any remaining hotspots. Wishing everyone a gentle day.

latedecember1963 Wed 19-Aug-26 10:20:03

Marzipan, just saw your post. Puts my situation into perspective. Wishing you strength in supporting your friend. 💐

latedecember1963 Wed 19-Aug-26 10:15:40

Good morning everyone from sunny Anglesey.
I haven't managed to post for the last few days. The little chap has hit the 'into everything phase' and if I don't post before he's up I've no chance.

As I'm typing this I can hear him rummaging in a drawer in my bedroom but there's nothing he can harm himself with.

He's 18 months old today and he's thriving but I've hit a low spot which isn't like me. I feel very isolated.
As GrandMattie says, so many activities close for the summer and most of my friends are either working or busy with their own lives.
Friends make sympathetic noises but in reality most aren't interested in having a baby tagging onto a get together. It's been a bit of an eye opener with some of them, to be honest.

Anyway, whinge over and time to plan an outing to get some fresh bread and milk. I know compared to many others on this thread I have it easy.

Have a lovely day everyone. 😘

hollysteers Wed 19-Aug-26 10:09:37

Good morning from a brightening northwest coast.
My sister left for the South yesterday after five days with me and I’ve stripped the bed and sheets are drying. She arrived home safely after her long drive and a diversion to meet up with our nephew.

I’m tired after going out every day and will enjoy getting back to my usual routine of practising songs and painting.
Awful news Marzipan and do rest R&L.
Thoughts to all🌺

Beechnut Wed 19-Aug-26 09:52:39

As you will be WiFiless fgt I’ll wish you an advanced Happy Birthday 🍹🎉🎂

ginny Wed 19-Aug-26 09:42:23

Good morning from a sunny but not too hot N. Bucks.
I’m a bit late this morning so haven’t read all the posts. Went to feed DDs cats and she phoned asking me to look for something and it took a while.
I’m off to have coffee with my friend who runs the craft club with me and we will set our projects for this term.
Probably some patchwork this afternoon and to do lists to write , I do love a list.😁
Wishing all a good day, I’ll catch up later.

baubles Wed 19-Aug-26 09:38:31

Good morning from damp South Lanarkshire.

Marzipan I’m so sorry, her poor family will be in torment, my condolences.
We are a year on from my nephew’s death by suicide, it’s still very hard. We spent a couple of hours yesterday with his parents whose lives are shattered forever.

Last night our yarn group got together after our summer break, it’s time to start on the angels once more.

I’m pleased to hear that your house has sold Grammaretto, hopefully you will find somewhere which feels right for you.

No real plans today, I’ll cook something to take to DS’s house tomorrow and possibly put away some of my most summery clothes although the thought of that makes me sad.

Safe travels fgt.

Have the best day possible everyone.

Susan56 Wed 19-Aug-26 09:36:19

Marzipan I am so sorry to hear your heartbreaking news.My heart goes out to you, your friend and all who k ew and loved her daughter.I will be thinking of you all on Friday🙏🏻

A year ago today my niece took her own life.As Gingster said questions that will never be answered.I spoke to my sister in law yesterday and we cope by praying she is now at peace.It is still too raw to think about.

luluaugust Wed 19-Aug-26 09:35:34

Marzipan such very sad news
Marydoll have a lovely meal
R&L stay sitting
FGT enjoy your holiday

cornergran Wed 19-Aug-26 09:26:32

Good morning everyone. There’s been rain in our corner of Somerset. Puddles even. Lovely!

I’m so sorry marzipan that’s very sad news and a situation I’ve been involved with in the past. So hard.

Oh heck roses, I know from bitter experience how impossible it feels to shut off from what needs doing. Please don’t be tempted, everything waits and your cleaner will have seen far worse I promise you. A surgeon once explained to me that healing happens from the outside in, just because the incision looks and feels happy it doesn’t mean what we can’t see has healed.

Have the best day you can everyone.

Marydoll Wed 19-Aug-26 09:13:44

Great news Grammaretto.🥰
What will you do with your studio?

Grandmabatty, thank you. My colleagues were horrified, when I came back from an RA appointment one day and informed them that I had been walking about for months with three stress fractures. I am used to pain, so never gave it a second thought.
I couldn't remember the name of the condition, it is Freiberg's disease. (See how blasé I am. wink )

DH says he feels OK, so we are going out for lunch. We will take the bus, it is less stressful, no no DH impersonating a driving instructor and nipping my ear every few minutes. After fifty years, I think I know how to drive. 😡
The bus will take us door to door in fifteen minutes. No strenuous walking required.
We have an expensive voucher, which is about to expire, having already lost one, due to DH's ill health.

We are going out mainly because in the words of our lovely Maltese friend, I can't be arsed thinking about cooking, let alone actually cook.
The menu looks delicious. Prawn tempura or sea bass? I cannot make up my mind.

Greyduster Wed 19-Aug-26 09:12:27

^When I was doing missionary work, living in Lancashire^….
Gosh Madeleine, I didn’t know we were still sending missionaries into Lancashire. I thought they’d eaten the last one ages ago🫣! Apologies to all our lovely Lancastrians, I just couldn’t resist! I get my coat!

Gingster Wed 19-Aug-26 09:01:20

We’ll miss you Fgt.
Have a great family time and we await your news and adventures when you can .

Gingster Wed 19-Aug-26 08:58:32

Oh dear my post has disappeared now!

So sorry for you Marydoll you have a lot to contend with. Accept as much help as you can. I know it doesn’t come easily.

Marzipan what a sad day. Questions that will never be answered. 🙏.

Take care all 🌺

Grandmabatty Wed 19-Aug-26 08:55:11

Marzipan such sad news. Your poor friend. My friend's son killed himself earlier this year and I don't think she will ever recover. Dragonfly thank you. Sometimes they can be hard work but I love my boys dearly. Marydoll I'm really sorry to hear about your foot trouble. I have peripheral neuropathy and it can be so painful.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 19-Aug-26 08:49:35

Wonderful news Grammaretto to hear you’ve finally sold your house (X posts). Now to find somewhere for you to buy to live … soonish 🤞

Or ‘spend some of the kid’s inheritance’ and find somewhere nice to rent while you look! 😂
Good luck dear lady.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 19-Aug-26 08:46:56

👋 to you Ziplok
Good to have you join us. Please tell us your location so we can place you it makes it easier somehow to get to know new posters better on here.

Hoping to hear again from yesterday’s newbie too.

Grammaretto Wed 19-Aug-26 08:45:28

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where it's been raining.

My Gransnet freezes mid sentence too. Is it because I use my phone?

So sad Marzipan thinking of you all.

My news is that the sale will go through mid October so I will be moving - I know not where!

Yarn group this morning so hopefully the girls will have some suggestions 😁

Enjoy Málaga with the family FGT

Wishing everyone well today and please rest Roses&l

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 19-Aug-26 08:44:48

Tragic news Marzipan 💐

RosesandLilac Wed 19-Aug-26 08:40:16

I sit suitably admonished…..😬I promise I will do better. It’s so difficult when DH doesn’t see muddle, mess or dust. He literally does nothing around the house.
I have done an online shop for more ready to cook meals that can be put in the oven. I must add some vegetables.

Oh Marzipan, I am so sorry to read your post. How utterly heartbreaking 💐🤗 xx
I absolutely love reading all about your days Madeleine, you’re such an active person, just like so many on here who fill their days in such interesting ways.
Marydoll all I can say is I’m sending you love and hugs xx
🤗🤗
Thank you to all of you, I shall behave xx

Ziplok Wed 19-Aug-26 08:40:06

Good morning,
We had lots of lovely rain through the night once more, and already the grass is beginning to green up again. More forecast for tonight 👍🏼.

R&L, please listen to your friends here, and do nothing - the cleaner will understand. I know it’s hard to sit still, but you really must follow your doctors advice or as Marydoll says, you are prolonging your recovery period.

How awful for your friend, Marzipan - so incredibly sad.

Wishing everyone well.