Gransnet forums

Chat

Poignant Songs/Music.

(50 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 14-Aug-26 06:29:04

I’m not talking about music we want playing at our funeral, or similar, just the melodies that make you stop and think.

Triggered by just listening to Classic FM eating my breakfast, and ‘The Last Rose Of Summer’ came on.

Such a touching piece.

MissAdventure Sat 15-Aug-26 13:39:14

Thank you.
I'm off to check those out. smile

paddyann54 Sat 15-Aug-26 12:46:58

Last one MissAdventure or I,ll be an emotional wreck.
David Gates- Find Me

paddyann54 Sat 15-Aug-26 12:41:48

This is a real tear jerker it’s Janis Ian -I Hear you Sing Again.Its mid 20 teens so might have passed you by ,it’s from an album called Billies Bones.Its also on YouTube.

MissAdventure Sat 15-Aug-26 12:35:10

Thanks, paddy
I enjoy your music taste, and like finding something new.

paddyann54 Sat 15-Aug-26 12:32:36

Grandmother by Rebecca Pidgeon
It’s on YouTube and it’s lovely.
See it through to the end to get the lump in your throat and the tears.
I,ve had this cd since 1994 …she was/is very underrated.
Lyrics are worth a listen

MissAdventure Sat 15-Aug-26 10:47:59

Beautiful video, too, as well as a reminder of Lucca.
Thank you smile

Woollywoman Sat 15-Aug-26 09:07:12

Thanks, Casdon - not seen this before. Really therapeutic and beautiful.

Kiwiqueen123 Sat 15-Aug-26 08:49:14

Kris Kristofferson Me and Bobby McGee. Judy Collins Send in the Clowns. The Seekers: Morning town ride, Roberta Flack as above, Beach Boys oh so many. Lovely thread for Saturday morning.

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 15-Aug-26 08:29:26

Oh thank you, Casdon, for reminding me about this beautiful piece. What a lovely start to my day.

Casdon Fri 14-Aug-26 21:33:37

Ed Sheeran and Andrea Bocelli singing Perfect Symphony, introduced to us on Gransnet by our dearly departed Lucca, it’s really worth watching if you haven’t seen it.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiDiKwbGfIY

MissAdventure Fri 14-Aug-26 21:03:52

Goodbye to love by the Carpenters.

CanadianGran Fri 14-Aug-26 20:58:23

By Your Side by Sade reminds me of a time when a loved one was feeling very low. It tugs at my heart whenever I hear it.

Devoted to You, written by Everly Bros, but sung by Carly Simon and James Taylor. Love how their voices harmonize so well.

The Things I Didn't Say by Dr. Hook

There are so many good heart-tugging songs out there!

kittylester Fri 14-Aug-26 20:44:54

Your song by Elton John is our song.

Jaxjacky Fri 14-Aug-26 20:37:15

Love of my life - Extreme.
Who wants to live forever - Queen
Runaway - The Coors

Nell82 Fri 14-Aug-26 20:15:00

My three year old granddaughter insists on listening to Puff, the Magic Dragon whenever we're in the car. I hadn't realised that it has a very sad ending about the loss of childhood innocence - and poor old Puff's left all alone in a cave with his scales falling off.

Georgesgran Fri 14-Aug-26 19:52:00

Drive by the Cars always makes me see that horrific film at Live Aid. Those images will stay with me forever. That song is definitely a generational thing.

Hymnbook Fri 14-Aug-26 19:46:32

Send in the Clowns from a little night music. Carousel the Soliloquy. Northern soul Do l love you Darrall Smith.
Music from the Proms Janis Ian. Bobby Gentry. Joan Baez Carole King . And here I'll stay until it's time for to you go. Christine Mcvie Fleetwood Mac.
So many meaningful songs that remind us of good times and bad make us happy and make us weep.

Clawdy Fri 14-Aug-26 17:48:29

I Get Along Without You Very Well - especially Chet Baker version.

Tenko Fri 14-Aug-26 16:26:31

I have several , one is Drive by The Cars it reminds me of Live Aid .
Louie Armstrong what a wonderful world was my dad’s favourite song .
Songbird by Eva Cassidy and Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley as they both died young .

Grandyma Fri 14-Aug-26 16:26:23

Songbird by Christine McVie of Pink Floyd

Astitchintime Fri 14-Aug-26 16:24:22

Abraham, Martin & John by Marvin Gaye

Witzend Fri 14-Aug-26 16:19:00

The theme music from Schindler’s List, by John Williams.

I do often wonder how one man can come up with such perfect music for such wildly different films as Schindler’s List, and E.T.

SpinDriftCoastal Fri 14-Aug-26 16:11:31

Havanna Moon by Brian Ferey also known as Only your face.

SpinDriftCoastal Fri 14-Aug-26 16:10:19

Georgesgran

Always Time in a Bottle by Jim Crocce and Joan Baez’s version of Forever Young.
Another favourite is Scott McKenzies San Francisco - I sing along to it in the car, but then a lump in my throat picturing myself in that era to what I am now.

We have the same taste. I love Time in a Bottle and well up when I think of when my child was little, and San Francisco because it is so wistful of the summer of '67.

Nannee49 Fri 14-Aug-26 12:51:50

Merlotgran & MissAdventure there's a beautiful version of "And so it goes" by the nyvocalcollection which popped up on Instagram just this morning...sorry can't post a link with this phone.

Mine are -

On my own - Michael Mcdonald & Patti LaBelle, reduced to sobs in moments.

Over the rainbow - Eva Cassidy

Harvest Moon - Neil Young

Everything's gonna be alright - the incomparable Beverley Knight, such positivity out of darkness