Gransnet forums

Chat

Unbelievable What I've Just Read

(59 Posts)
Esmay Mon 10-Aug-26 09:59:11

I'm sometimes amazed by what I think is common knowledge .
I hope that some government warnings abou the dangers of staring at an eclipse are put on TV more frequently.

I recall when Covid was peaking - a lady standing outside a supermarket telling everyone that it was just a simple flu and we were all overreacting and being hysterical.

Yesterday, I passed a couple standing at a bus stop . I thought that they'd probably been waiting a very long time judging by the expression on their faces ,but had ignored the road signs announcing the closure.
I told them that there were no buses .
The lady tried to blank me .
They both just looked at me .
And they didn't believe it.

Crumbly159 Mon 10-Aug-26 09:40:28

Just don't try to look at the sun - the eclipse isn't worth the possible damage.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Aug-26 09:19:31

Colander for me but I don’t think we re getting much in the East anyway so probably a non event and I expect I ll not be around for the next one so not getting my knickers in a twist about it

Farmor15 Mon 10-Aug-26 09:05:20

Agree with Lathyrus- you don't look through the colander but apparently get multiple images of eclipsed sun projected on wall.

Lathyrus3 Mon 10-Aug-26 09:01:31

I don’t think you look through the colander. I think you stand with your back to the sun, holding the colander up so that the sun shines through the holes onto the wall that you are facing.

Then you get an image projected onto the wall.

I’m pretty certain that’s what I read.

Luckygirl3 Mon 10-Aug-26 08:53:02

You can look through a colander I am told.

NotSpaghetti Mon 10-Aug-26 07:17:34

I hope your neighbour checked they met the correct safety certification, moonwatcher and bought a legitimate brand via a legitimate supplier!

Eclipse glasses must meet the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard and be labelled as such. There are counterfeit ones on Amazon...
I would want to buy via an authorised retailer of these items - not your lady "selling on"!

Astitchintime Mon 10-Aug-26 07:06:28

“I can't believe that there are people walking about this earth who have no idea about anything”………….. I saw two more examples this weekend - two motorcyclists visited our neighbour and both were wearing shorts and a tee shirt. Yes, I accept it’s very hot but shorts and tee shirts offer NO protection when they have an accident and slide along the road with little more than thin fabric between their body and the tarmac! Another neighbours children were playing in the cul de sac, one on his bike and one on her two wheel scooter. The bike rider was wearing a helmet, the scooter rider wasn’t. Based on that, does riding a scooter in any way protect a child’s head when the child gets knocked off/falls off and their skull meets the road?
There really is no accounting for peoples stupidity!

Moonwatcher1904 Mon 10-Aug-26 00:28:11

A local lady wanted some eclipse glasses so ended up buying a box of 100 on Amazon. She is selling what she didn't want to anyone who wanted any.
So someone replied with the comment Why do you need glasses.
So the replies were you can't look directly at the sun even during an eclipse.
So her reply was why can't you use ordinary sunglasses.
To which the reply to that was they're not strong enough.
She said she was confused as you can look at the sun when it's hot.
So she got told you could get eye damage if you look at the sun without proper glasses.
Her final reply was That's crazy.

I said to my DH who also read the post that I can't believe that there are people walking about this earth who have no idea about anything.