Gransnet forums

Chat

Public toilets

(64 Posts)
Sallywally1 Wed 05-Aug-26 06:02:00

Why, oh why do people leave loo roll all over the floor in public loos? So yucky. They wouldn’t do it at home so why in a public place?

M0nica Wed 05-Aug-26 13:23:23

yanda

I clean toilets and it's a demeaning job and should be better paid in my opinion. If cleaners have to go and clean faeces off walls they need to be paid at least £25 an hour then they can feel valued .

absolutely.It was what a friend's father after he was made bankrupt when his grocery shop failed.

Farzanah Wed 05-Aug-26 13:34:55

yanda

I clean toilets and it's a demeaning job and should be better paid in my opinion. If cleaners have to go and clean faeces off walls they need to be paid at least £25 an hour then they can feel valued .

Yes I completely agree, and if we want decent public services we have to pay for them. It’s only when they’re gone that we seem to appreciate them.

It seems to me that when a public place is kept clean and tidy it is more likely to remain that way, but if allowed to deteriorate it is not respected.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-26 13:55:14

They won’t deny you You are wrong there Gingster Starbucks have decided not to let you in unless you buy something and Costa are a bit funny too as you have to ask for the key !
MacDonalds in our town has closed and opened up on the out of town malls, so there are few alternatives the railway station is at one end of the high street, the bus station (often closed for vandalism) is the other end, you don’t have a huge amount if choice if you need to go.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-26 13:56:21

Also our supermarkets are now all outside the town centre so again no go

grannyqueenie Wed 05-Aug-26 14:26:58

I do find it a bit pointless to buy a drink in a pub or cafe just so I can use their loo…. it just perpetuates the original problem and makes for a rather expensive day out!!! I have an app on my phone which tells me where the nearest loo is, in desperate times I need all the help I can get!! grin

Elegran Wed 05-Aug-26 14:34:48

Nell82

I haven't seen any decent graffiti for ages. The last I remember was written along the bottom of the door above the gap: ^Beware of limbo dancers^

The one I remember was at the bottom of the door in tiny writing, which you had to lean well forward to see - "If you can read this you are now sitting at an angle of 60 degrees from vertical"

My husband reported one above the urinals "The future of Scotland is in your hands"

Elegran Wed 05-Aug-26 14:35:23

We need a whole new thread for these.

Maggymay Wed 05-Aug-26 15:02:58

We have very few Public Toilets in Bristol especially near the harbour,but we do have a community toilet scheme anyone can use. I keep the list on my phone restaurants,libraries ,city hall many places,there is always somewhere nearby.

Sashasmum Wed 05-Aug-26 15:09:13

I once read recently that it is not advisable to 'hover' over a toilet seat as the position does not allow you to empty your bladder efficiently.
I personally would give the seat a good wipe with loo roll and, once 'finished', make sure l give my hands a good wash.

monami Wed 05-Aug-26 15:22:30

i never use them ever, disgusting animals use them, i try to find a nice store with toilets or wetherspoons whch are always lovely

HelterSkelter1 Wed 05-Aug-26 15:23:55

Our public loos in the town centre were closed some years back. But they were horrid and probably not safe at night. The town centre Tesco and Waitrose both have toilets which are kept clean and tidy. Both shops are open from 8 till 8 and there is a cinema where I expect you could pop in outside those hours as well as several pubs and restaurants. So we are well off.

Seaside toilets can either be immaculate or disgusting. I can't imagine what some peoples toilets must be like at home seeing the state some are left in. Horrid job to clean them. I hope they get danger money.

JamesandJon33 Wed 05-Aug-26 15:30:53

M&S who usually have a cafe, these days, have excellent toilets.No need to use the cafe though.

AuntieE Wed 05-Aug-26 15:52:33

Primrose53

ViceVersa

The ones around here have all been closed by the council!

So where do people go?

I do know (and was surprised to learn) that councils do not have a responsibility to provide public toilets although most do.

Do you really want to know.

Behind the most convenient bush or dustbin, probably.

Geordiegirl1 Wed 05-Aug-26 16:01:22

I’m astonished at the disgusting mess in ladies loos sometimes.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-26 16:08:30

No cafe in our marks and Spencer’s JanesandJon and not one department store with a toilet

Wheniwasyourage Wed 05-Aug-26 16:12:37

I hover and am planning to continue to do so, not having experienced any problems. I have found that many station toilets are clean (full marks in particular for Pitlochry and Carlisle) and well maintained. Full marks too for Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

Also in Pitlochry, where there are many tourists, there is a system whereby some pubs and hotels welcome visitors to use their toilets without having to buy anything.

I am happy to pick up dry bits of toilet paper from the floor and dispose of them in the loo. After all, I am going to wash my hands afterwards anyway.

4allweknow Wed 05-Aug-26 16:15:58

Sometimes pulling toilet paper from a dispenser results in clumps of the stuff coming out and landing on the floor. If happening to me I pick it up and flush away. Public toilets I use are generally in shopping malls and hotels, restaurant. All generally clean. I couldn't guess where I'd find a public toilet outside my usual type of places.

TheatreLover Wed 05-Aug-26 16:36:54

I usually use toilets in cafes and shops, etc. I’ve noticed over recent years that it’s quite common for the previous occupant not to flush the toilet, and it’s not always a pleasant sight to see. What’s that all about I wonder?

granfromafar Wed 05-Aug-26 16:53:40

Sashasmum

I once read recently that it is not advisable to 'hover' over a toilet seat as the position does not allow you to empty your bladder efficiently.
I personally would give the seat a good wipe with loo roll and, once 'finished', make sure l give my hands a good wash.

This is correct. As a user of Jude tablets for the past year or so, this is one piece of advice they give. You're meant to sit and lean forward, to encourage full bladder emptying. Also, not to do 'just in case' wees, so that the bladder empties when full. However, that's not always practical!
I was another one taught to hover over public loo seats, which may have caused the present problems!

JamesandJon33 Wed 05-Aug-26 18:16:23

BlueBelle McDonalds, Costa etc must have toilets and you can use them without purchasing anything.

butterandjam Wed 05-Aug-26 18:28:49

Crumbly159

I have horrifying memories of these Pits of Hell from long ago.

I would never go near one, nowadays, even if I was offered the Crown Jewels.

That sounds very restrictive. Do you ever go out?

Plunger Wed 05-Aug-26 18:37:56

Whilst waiting in A&E used the loo. Clean. Before leaving an hour later after DP admitted used it before driving home. Loo paper, empty plastic cups plus a used dressing scattered on the floor and the wash hand basin. Disgusting

Romola Wed 05-Aug-26 19:10:43

Here's a cheer for the excellent and spotless toilets at Clapham Junction railway station, which I used yesterday.

SunnySusie Wed 05-Aug-26 19:22:47

How I wish I didnt have to use public toilets, but alas any expedition of more than a couple of hours means its a necessity for me. Despite the hideous state of about half of them I have never caught anything. Most annoying are train loos where a dispenser squirts soap onto your hands and then fails to deliver the water. Luckily I carry a pack of tissues so I dont have to touch any door handles after washing my hands. Even so it takes half a pack of tissues to wipe enough soap off to function for the rest of the journey.

Silvertwigs Wed 05-Aug-26 20:25:28

Sallywally1 Oh trust me they do, in their own home. My DGD has had a horrible vile BF and is now in a refuge. Look at the state of the loo on her landing 🥲