Gransnet forums

Chat

Public toilets

(64 Posts)
Sallywally1 Wed 05-Aug-26 06:02:00

Why, oh why do people leave loo roll all over the floor in public loos? So yucky. They wouldn’t do it at home so why in a public place?

JamesandJon33 Fri 07-Aug-26 06:00:25

Ie, mae hi 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

MawsRosie Fri 07-Aug-26 05:55:11

Clearly ça vaut le voyage

JamesandJon33 Fri 07-Aug-26 04:24:13

MawsRosie well all I can say to that is that the toilets in Trostre and Carmarthen are spotless. Perhaps it’s a Welsh thing .

Elrel Thu 06-Aug-26 23:12:06

Many years ago my mother, who rarely drank, assured me that it was all right to go into a pub to use the toilet. Sometimes I needed to ask at the bar where it was, if there was a charity box I would donate.
I have come across three public toilets I could not bring myself to use. A small Spanish railway station had a dark cave I didn’t enter. Boston USA’s busy bus station loos appeared to be well overdue for a clean. Worst was a city centre Wetherspoons with 4 cubicles - 2 out of order and the 2 available both had toilet bowls and floors which were indescribably filthy, ok, it was a busy Saturday afternoon but even so…
Some years ago I checked city centre loos for a ‘Good Loo Guide’. Pizza Express were happy for non diners to use theirs, spotlessly clean and even had fresh flowers, top marks!

MawsRosie Thu 06-Aug-26 22:29:21

Duvetdiva

JamesandJon33

M&S who usually have a cafe, these days, have excellent toilets.No need to use the cafe though.

The loos in M&S near me leave a lot to be desired. However the ladies loo at my local train station turned out to be surprisingly tidy, clean and spacious.

Similarly (second part of the post) in the big M&S in MK where 2 out of 4 cubicles were out of action for weeks

MawsRosie Thu 06-Aug-26 22:27:02

I used to pay €1 years and years ago in Germany but the difference was that
1)they were staffed and immaculate, often with fresh flowers and the loo checked, seat wiped and (re)flushed between uses
2) there were many more
3) anybody could use the loo in shops, cafes, pubs etc (because of course you pay)
On balance I prefer that to free public loos which are few and far between, often vandalised, usually disgusting.

Primrose53 Thu 06-Aug-26 21:25:08

I have just been reading that there has been a 14% decrease in the number of public toilets in the last decade. The article was about women with bladder/incontinence problems so it’s vital they know where there are toilets when they go out. Apparently there is an App.

Gwyllt Thu 06-Aug-26 08:25:41

People just don’t care One one occasion a couple left a bathroom of a holiday cottage in similar style Toilet paper in shower I flushed loo filthy bowl. Curry on bedding. I won’t mention how disgusting the kitchen was. To add insult to injury one hour after leaving time I had to ask them to leave If someone who saw the could leave a place so disgusting The unknown face can cause chaos in a public facility

grandmac Wed 05-Aug-26 22:30:17

A shout out for the toilets in Margate Cemetery. Always very clean, warm, a blessing in the winter months, and with hot water. Well done!

MT62 Wed 05-Aug-26 22:03:31

yanda

I clean toilets and it's a demeaning job and should be better paid in my opinion. If cleaners have to go and clean faeces off walls they need to be paid at least £25 an hour then they can feel valued .

Absolutely 💯.
My mil cleaned the loos on the bus station in town years ago & would even buy flower's out her own purse to put on the shelf above the sink. So proud she was that you could eat your lunch off her loo seats ☺️

MT62 Wed 05-Aug-26 21:57:08

Gingster

I’ve never been in a decent public toilet. They are all disgusting.
I use cafes, pubs or restaurants if need be. They won’t deny you.

But even they can be grotty.
If I go to a pub, restaurant & the loo is minging I won’t eat there.

MT62 Wed 05-Aug-26 21:54:02

Nell82

I haven't seen any decent graffiti for ages. The last I remember was written along the bottom of the door above the gap: ^Beware of limbo dancers^

😂😂😂

Duvetdiva Wed 05-Aug-26 20:41:30

JamesandJon33

M&S who usually have a cafe, these days, have excellent toilets.No need to use the cafe though.

The loos in M&S near me leave a lot to be desired. However the ladies loo at my local train station turned out to be surprisingly tidy, clean and spacious.

Silvertwigs Wed 05-Aug-26 20:25:28

Sallywally1 Oh trust me they do, in their own home. My DGD has had a horrible vile BF and is now in a refuge. Look at the state of the loo on her landing 🥲

SunnySusie Wed 05-Aug-26 19:22:47

How I wish I didnt have to use public toilets, but alas any expedition of more than a couple of hours means its a necessity for me. Despite the hideous state of about half of them I have never caught anything. Most annoying are train loos where a dispenser squirts soap onto your hands and then fails to deliver the water. Luckily I carry a pack of tissues so I dont have to touch any door handles after washing my hands. Even so it takes half a pack of tissues to wipe enough soap off to function for the rest of the journey.

Romola Wed 05-Aug-26 19:10:43

Here's a cheer for the excellent and spotless toilets at Clapham Junction railway station, which I used yesterday.

Plunger Wed 05-Aug-26 18:37:56

Whilst waiting in A&E used the loo. Clean. Before leaving an hour later after DP admitted used it before driving home. Loo paper, empty plastic cups plus a used dressing scattered on the floor and the wash hand basin. Disgusting

butterandjam Wed 05-Aug-26 18:28:49

Crumbly159

I have horrifying memories of these Pits of Hell from long ago.

I would never go near one, nowadays, even if I was offered the Crown Jewels.

That sounds very restrictive. Do you ever go out?

JamesandJon33 Wed 05-Aug-26 18:16:23

BlueBelle McDonalds, Costa etc must have toilets and you can use them without purchasing anything.

granfromafar Wed 05-Aug-26 16:53:40

Sashasmum

I once read recently that it is not advisable to 'hover' over a toilet seat as the position does not allow you to empty your bladder efficiently.
I personally would give the seat a good wipe with loo roll and, once 'finished', make sure l give my hands a good wash.

This is correct. As a user of Jude tablets for the past year or so, this is one piece of advice they give. You're meant to sit and lean forward, to encourage full bladder emptying. Also, not to do 'just in case' wees, so that the bladder empties when full. However, that's not always practical!
I was another one taught to hover over public loo seats, which may have caused the present problems!

TheatreLover Wed 05-Aug-26 16:36:54

I usually use toilets in cafes and shops, etc. I’ve noticed over recent years that it’s quite common for the previous occupant not to flush the toilet, and it’s not always a pleasant sight to see. What’s that all about I wonder?

4allweknow Wed 05-Aug-26 16:15:58

Sometimes pulling toilet paper from a dispenser results in clumps of the stuff coming out and landing on the floor. If happening to me I pick it up and flush away. Public toilets I use are generally in shopping malls and hotels, restaurant. All generally clean. I couldn't guess where I'd find a public toilet outside my usual type of places.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 05-Aug-26 16:12:37

I hover and am planning to continue to do so, not having experienced any problems. I have found that many station toilets are clean (full marks in particular for Pitlochry and Carlisle) and well maintained. Full marks too for Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

Also in Pitlochry, where there are many tourists, there is a system whereby some pubs and hotels welcome visitors to use their toilets without having to buy anything.

I am happy to pick up dry bits of toilet paper from the floor and dispose of them in the loo. After all, I am going to wash my hands afterwards anyway.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-26 16:08:30

No cafe in our marks and Spencer’s JanesandJon and not one department store with a toilet

Geordiegirl1 Wed 05-Aug-26 16:01:22

I’m astonished at the disgusting mess in ladies loos sometimes.