Thank you Ekwa found and read! Will need time to let it sink in...
This Israeli regime has to be stopped!
Good Morning Everyone,
Its light and its another dry start here in Brackley this morning.
I have been given the all clear as regards to bowel Cancer after 3 years , but have to see my surgery doctor tomorrow as to something else .
Today will do my usual bus trip into Bicester hopefully have a chat to those I know .
Health Fair ,
Take Care,
Mick
Thank you Ekwa found and read! Will need time to let it sink in...
Welcome Jessmee - I thought that “in Hereford, Hereford and Hampshire, heatwaves hardly ever happened”😁! Sorry! I’ll get my coat!
The original article is in the London Review of Books BlueSapphire . Apparently she’s a regular contributor.
Good morning all , wee shower or rain raised my hopes , oh well it’s a bit late my garden has a definitely Autumnal look !
Ekwa thank you, I shall search for the Emily Wilson article. I tried to buy her book on Amazon, but it wasn't available till mid August. Waterstones no problem.
BlueSapphire, Emily Wilson wrote a very critical article re the script of the Odyssey film, commented on in the media yesterday. She did say it was causing the books including her own translation to fly off the shelves though.
Welcome Jessmee warming up here too in Hampshire.
Good morning,everyone. This is my first post on Gransnet and I’m looking forward to getting involved with various topics.
I hope you all have a pleasant day and manage to keep cool! It’s really heating up in Hertfordshire now……
MawsRosie you are correct.
No need to go to Specsavers.
Madeleine is missing again.
I'm hoping it's technology problems again and that she will be back eventually.
I am missing Madeleine as well. I hope if she is reading she knows how much her posts are enjoyed.
A late good morning all - on my way out for another vet visit for Rosie to check her splint and strapping. She is being very tolerant of it all.
On the subject of auto correct/predictive texting, despite being set to UK English my iPad keeps trying to correct my spelling to French. («A late»came up at first as À l’âge ) and it’s doing funny speech marks!
Has anybody else noticed Madeleine seems to be missing ? Or do I need to go to Specsavers? 👋👋 if you are there!
FriedGreenTomatoes 
Good morning all
Enjoy wearing your new dress out today fgt 💐
Me, led away by talk on here of Roman shopping now have a skirt and nightie on the way 😂
A later Good morning from Stockport., one again I had a bad night resulting in my going back to sleep about 6am.
The boiler engineer came about 11am and sorted it out though it proved to be a long job, nearly two hours.
There were two issues but it is fine now, how weird it is to be without hot water, we are very lucky and privileged to live when we do.
I had a nice time out with my friend , a “light” lunch in a good cafe, it was substantial enough for me to just have two boiled eggs for tea instead of the fish pie I had planned for my evening meal.
I shall have that today.
Better news for you and you H dragonfly I hope his progress is uneventful.
A load of clearing up today, I have new cleaners starting tomorrow and I want them to clean and not have to tidy before they can start.
Hot again today so keep cool and hydrated everyone.
Sorry I've got it wrong as well! Must be the heat. Shoes, gloves and matching nag.
Enjoy your day out FriedGreentomatoes x
I was amused a while back by a GN who said her MIL had shoes, bag and matching nag to a wedding. A lovely picture.
A very late good morning from me after an appalling night of very little sleep.
Nothing to report really, other than to say how hot I am. It says 30°c today but if it’s anything like yesterday it will be hotter than that.
I’m glad that your DH had some tentatively reassuring news yesterday Dragonfly.
Hope you don’t have too long a wait to get your prostate checked Mick.
Both GB and Redcar with liquidation disasters. Oh dear!
RosesandLilac, there was an article about the increase in power cuts in the Sunday Times. Neso who look after the national grid have to pay renewable energy providers large sums of money to switch off sending power to the grid. On days when we have both plenty of sun and wind (most days atm!) there is too much power going into the grid leading to failures. We are a hairs breadth from disaster some days. But Neso are being very evasive about it. Look what happened in Spain last year? I feel for you and hope your freezers are ok.
Have a good day everyone.
Good morning Mick and all from a cooler northwest coast.
Heartening news Mick and hope all goes well with your other condition.
The journey from the south went well. Son and I shared the driving. We dropped DGD at Crewe station to catch a train to Leeds and then swapped cars at son’s girlfriend. Her bigger car was better for the long journey and I was pleased to see my diddy car again for the final lap.
We were running out of petrol not far from home, but found a petrol station in time. Just a ready meal and bed for me. Son stayed up and is still here. He’ll do a couple of jobs for me before leaving for home.
My cat is delighted to see me, which is always cheery.
I know it can be serious, but I’m always amused by the spelling ‘prostrate’.
Thoughts to all🌺
FriedGreenTomatoes2 hope you enjoy your day out 
Good morning everyone from another bright and sunny 🌞Northampton day. Do not intend to do a lot today as it is forecast to reach 31°C, but I may try to get the kitchen floor mopped early before it gets too hot.
Got everything done that I had planned yesterday and then spent a quiet afternoon reading from my pile of magazines.
Good news Mick about your health; you must be so relieved.🙂
EkwaNimitee, Maw, Gala and others who commented yesterday - the Odyssey translation I have chosen is by Emily Wilson.
I have read the Stephen Fry but not impressed.
I have also read most of the books recommended plus Madeline Miller's ' Song of Achilles' and 'Circe'.
Also read 'Medea' by Rosie Hewlett, 'A Thousand Ships' by Natalie Haynes and am two thirds of the way through the Ithaca trilogy by Claire North (Song of Penelope etc).
Looking forward to picking up The Odyssey tomorrow.
And I have been to where Troy is believed to be sited, in north western Turkey.
Must make a move, or I will never get anything done!
Wishing all a pleasant day.
Thank you to those who remarked about my DH. We are indeed relieved - strange when even the doctors cannot decide what something is. I have to say the whole team of doctors and nurses have been absolute amazing and pullled out all the stops.
Sorry you are still struggling Grammaretto I am told it will go away one day. Meanwhile we are meeting up with friends for a little normality.
Again, you’ve chosen to misunderstand me Marydoll. My comment wasn’t ‘snarky’. It had emojis. I explained fully why I’d done it. I was trying to be helpful. You obviously don’t know me well.
I’m genuinely sorry you’ve taken offence.
Of course I fully understand how vulnerable you are. I’ve often been supportive and kindly about your health issues.
Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Raining here which is a boon for the garden but nothing else.
The scaled down roof work is supposed to begin today and the plumber is due in an hour to sort the leaky waste pipe under a sink and now my tenants tell me there is no pressure in their shower.
I was looking forward to yarn group followed by another house viewing - me looking at a house a few streets away. It's too big really but nothing is just right.
Enjoy your night out FGT
Good news from Dragonfly re DH but we are both still suffering with sciatica which is bad news.😞
Good news from Mick hooray!
The house clearance people came yesterday to give me a quote.
It sounds to be very expensive and they don't want to deal with my books so I am thinking about it.
Have a good day everyone.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.