Gransnet forums

Chat

New Girl Guide Uniforms

(38 Posts)
Chestnut Mon 27-Jul-26 11:38:26

Girlguiding has unveiled the first major redesign of its uniform range in more than 30 years, with the aim of allowing its members the "freedom to express themselves".
www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2dkez2g07po

So what do you think? Is it necessary, is it too expensive?
"The range is made up of 30 items of clothing, 15 accessories and neckerchiefs - with prices starting at £12 for a T-shirt."

This seems rather expensive and a lot of less well off families won't afford this, especially if they have two or more daughters. I think you can buy second hand uniforms at the moment, but these won't be available for ages with a new uniform.

Chestnut Thu 30-Jul-26 00:32:58

Goldencity - I agree the badge layout I posted was old, as I said it was from a while back.

I'm afraid the 'fun badges' seem a bit pointless to me. The very fancy 'ice cream challenge' badge my granddaughter was given meant nothing to her. What kind of a challenge is it to make an ice cream sundae?

I feel a badge they work for has much more meaning and is seen as a real achievement. I remember my daughter working jolly hard for all her interest badges and very proudly displaying them down the arm of her Brownie dress. That was around 1990.

FranP Wed 29-Jul-26 23:02:56

They can continue to wear the previous uniform until they no longer need it, but yes it will reduce the resale value of them. 30 items are to give girls choices - this is not new, nor is optional "bottoms"

The shorts bother me a bit - the current rainbow shorts are tight around the thighs, but these are open - not ideal for cartwheels and indeed not very fashionable.

As a leader, I will not be changing, as the new uniform short sleeves are far too short, but my shirt is not different enough to bother.

Trefoil changed recently and they are treating the items as bespoke, which means you cannot send them back if sizing does not fit.

Goldencity Wed 29-Jul-26 16:46:10

Chestnut- tabards have not been re-introduced for Rainbows, although the picture showing the shortsleeved rainbow t shirt (pink with striped sleeves) does look a bit like a tabard.
As for where badges should be displayed, that’s quite an old diagram you have shared. I haven’t had time to find it yet, but I’m sure there will be guidelines on the website as to how to display your badges on the new uniforms.

The badges on the website you link to are the “fun” badges, we usually use them in our units as prizes or rewards for something.
The “earned” badges have to be purchased via the local badge secretary or by a leader through the website, parents can’t (or shouldn’t) just buy them.

There have been “fun” badges around for a long time, there are also both official and unofficial extra challenge badges (Parliament week is an official one and a popular unofficial one made by a friend of mine was the Snowman challenge). Some are easier to earn than others

There are still the “interest badges” which you have to earn by completing the clauses.

Hope all this helps!

HelterSkelter1 Wed 29-Jul-26 11:16:26

No I dont expect the Brownies and Guides to wear the uniforms from the 70s. I just commented that I still have the little brown dresses...in a suitcase... and how cute they were.

One very very cold November they had to parade in their dresses and weren't allowed to wear warm tights!! Except I allowed my 2 to do so.
And it was on the news about that time that some Guides and Brownies suffered from hypothermia one year in a similar parade. Similarly underdressed.

So the new uniforms no doubt take into account our weather. Both hot and cold.

Chestnut Wed 29-Jul-26 11:06:32

I've just looked at the new Brownie badges and they now have Happy Hanukkah, Happy Eid, Happy Diwali and Happy Easter in the shape of an EGG!

I don't agree with bringing religion into Girlguiding. It used to be Christian but if that is to be abolished then no religion should be allowed. Showing an egg is clearly not Christian so why are the others there?

They also have THREE badges for Halloween, make of that what you will. And a badge saying 'I can do anything' which is untrue and utter nonsense.
Brownie Badges on website
It looks to me like the badges are quite meaningless and just a money making venture.

Chestnut Wed 29-Jul-26 10:34:16

They get far too many badges these days!

My granddaughter joined Brownies for a while but had to stop due to travelling. During that time they gave her badges for the most ridiculous things:
- ice cream challenge (making an ice cream sundae)
- Unicorn Badge (activities based around unicorns!)
- making a pizza
- trip to Legoland (which she didn't attend)
- trip to a pantomime
- doing indoor curling
- celebrating the Queen's Jubilee
- King's Coronation

The most colourful and flashy badges were for just doing something which involved no achievement at all, whereas the proper challenge badges which had to be worked for were small and quite plain.

Chestnut Wed 29-Jul-26 10:20:19

The tabard idea has always been around as far as I know. It's good except that the material is thick and sticking the badges on would be easier than sewing through a thick badge and a thick tabard.

I found this from a while back, which looks incredibly complicated!

Goldencity Wed 29-Jul-26 10:17:04

To answer some points: the “30 items” refers to all the options across the full age range, 4 years to adults. Each age range has a couple of t shirt options (short/long sleeves) a hoody/sweatshirt type jumper, shorts or trousers. The rainbows and brownies get the option of a gillet. All sections have the option of a hat and a sash. For Rangers (14+) and adults there is a smart shirt option.

All you need to be “in uniform” is a t shirt (£12 for Brownies and £14 for Guides). There is no deadline to swap over to the new style. Most leaders have a box of second hand items and this will continue.

I’ve been a leader for more years than I care to remember and this new design (made after lots of input from girls and adult members) seems very practical and looks pretty good too.

With a smart skirt or trousers (we ask girls to wear their school ones) it will look smart when needed (most units attend just one or two parades each year) and is practical for all the other stuff- imagine hiking, climbing, sports, fire lighting, games, pioneering wearing their school ones old style “smart A line skirt” stiff blouse or little brown dress….

Surely we don’t expect girls and young women to dress like that anymore?

monami Wed 29-Jul-26 08:06:49

We are now a nation of lunatics run by lunatics

BlueBelle Wed 29-Jul-26 07:03:08

You say the old style uniform ‘can still be worn’ but what an economic division that makes ‘ oh you ve still got the old uniform poor you’ and don’t imagine it doesn’t happen it always has and always will
Personally I m amazed at 30 items surely it needs to be just three or four ( trousers, top, hat )

Pleasebenice Wed 29-Jul-26 06:54:42

It is very hard to get a needle through the badge never mind the fabric of the garment! As a gran with working daughters and 6 grandchildren the sewing and mending come my way! I love doing it. Children are always impressed when a much loved item comes back with an embroidered flower or colourful heart where there used to be a hole!

WithNobsOnIt Tue 28-Jul-26 22:32:27

The top looks cheap. Even though it isn't. Looks as though this has been. a half hearted, ill thought out attempt to be on trend.

As they say nowadays.

WithNobsOnIt Tue 28-Jul-26 22:30:06

Oreo

30 items of clothing for a girl guide seems excessive doesn’t it?
Surely a polo shirt, a sweatshirt, a hat if wanted, skirt and trousers and neckerchief would be enough?

Definitely

welbeck Tue 28-Jul-26 22:21:11

Looks OK except agree about the tabard look.
They should change that.

knspol Tue 28-Jul-26 18:16:47

Whitewavemark2

Aren’t guides supposed to sew on their own badges?

My DS sewed on his own scout badges and got another badge for sewing.

Dancinggran Tue 28-Jul-26 17:49:26

I'm a Rainbow, G

25Avalon Tue 28-Jul-26 17:14:49

It’s supposed to be more inclusive but it isn’t. There will be some rich kid wearing designer jeans and another with Tesco ones. The whole idea of uniform was so that everyone has the same clothes and looks the same as everyone else regardless of background and is therefore inclusive.

OldFrill Tue 28-Jul-26 17:14:01

On the subject of badges- ime if they are glued on, they gradually peel off, but are also difficult to remove without leaving a gluey residue making it difficult to pass the uniform on

The new uniforms offer a sash to each age group that badges can be attached to and kept forever, seems a good idea, though the Brownie I saw on TV was having problems keeping hers on.

Goldencity Tue 28-Jul-26 17:07:10

Photos

Goldencity Tue 28-Jul-26 17:04:27

Some photos, Rainbows (4-7) Brownies (7-10) Guides (10-14) and Rangers (14-18). Leaders and young leaders also have a t shirt, smart shirt and fleece sweater.

On the subject of badges- ime if they are glued on, they gradually peel off, but are also difficult to remove without leaving a gluey residue making it difficult to pass the uniform on.

Goldencity Tue 28-Jul-26 16:58:56

I’ve been involved in Guiding since I joined brownies in 1966.
I actually like this new uniform. It’s kept to the “traditional” section colours, with a continuity of style across the age groups .
Each group has a t shirt and sweater- all you need to be “in uniform” is the t shirt. The old style uniform can continue to be worn, there seems to be no pressure to rush out and buy heaps of new stuff.
Badge sashes have been re-introduced so badges can be sewn on there, or on your uniform top or on your camp blanket.

Guiding actually asked members what we wanted and for once seem to have listened! We have pockets! It’s practical, hopefully it will wash and fit well too.

For adults and Rangers who want to look smart, there is a long sleeved shirt (it even has an extra hidden button to stop gaping for larger ladies).

So it gets a thumbs up from me and the other leaders I’ve spoken to today.

Primrose53 Mon 27-Jul-26 22:06:07

I saw the new Brownie uniforms on the news tonight and they looked great. Really fun outfits and the girls loved them.

The new Guide uniforms looked like Dinner Lady tabards.

HelterSkelter1 Mon 27-Jul-26 19:11:40

Dont the 30 items of clothing cover the Brownies as well a d may Rangers too.
I still have DDs little Brownie brown dresses from the 70s. Leather belts, purses and yellow neckerchief. So sweet.

Oreo Mon 27-Jul-26 18:32:14

30 items of clothing for a girl guide seems excessive doesn’t it?
Surely a polo shirt, a sweatshirt, a hat if wanted, skirt and trousers and neckerchief would be enough?

OldFrill Mon 27-Jul-26 18:07:44

For those who don't like links - It's the Guide and Scout shop that sells the glue which it says is to glue on the badges. Comes with a tape measure & spatula. £5.