Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday 24th July 2026

(57 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 24-Jul-26 04:57:28

Good Morning Everyone,
Its light and dry this morning in Brackley .
Today the usual bus trip into Bicester to shop and maybe chat to those I know.
Will watch the Tour De France on TV as well .
Health OK ,
Take Care,
Mick

Patrice53 Fri 24-Jul-26 21:44:49

Cooler today nice breeze when walking my dog. It's night time that's the problem the bedroom temperature is hoghevrn with the fan on and then I open the window.

TanaMa Fri 24-Jul-26 14:17:38

Another very warm day in the Brecon Beacons South Wales. The Royal Welsh Show is on at the moment, I usually like to go, but too hot now! Must be difficult for the animals.
There has been a forecast for some rain at the weekend, really hope it arrives. My water is from a bore hole, so I am being very careful with how I use it. I do water my outdoor potted plants every other day, but some rain would help!

Ilovedogs22 Fri 24-Jul-26 11:47:50

Good morning from the west midlands... although that keeps changing!
Very warm here so I'm wearing my son's rather nice swimming trunks as shorts; having removed the internal weird webbing stuff!
DH cleared-orf shopping, thank goodness & I'm now trying to remove dried Holly leaves from Dog's tail, which is fun! He keeps trying to help but it a matter of too many paws & hands make a ruddy pigs -ear of things.
Wishing everyone the best day possible but not the Holly Bush, obviously.

Bellasnana Fri 24-Jul-26 11:40:59

TheWeirdo, I love that film! The older daughter was a real horror wasn’t she! Enjoy!

Blossoming Fri 24-Jul-26 11:25:28

Good morning from cloudy Lancashire. It’s relatively cool here at a mere 19°, MrB and I have enjoyed a walk around the Dock and birdwatching.

Have a good day all 🌹

Stansgran Fri 24-Jul-26 11:18:28

I should add that we had the Nottingham Knockers here last night and DH engaged with them and I had to intervene before he spent a fortune as once you engage with them they come back and I’m often alone.

srn63 Fri 24-Jul-26 10:47:51

FriedGreenTomatoes2

I love redding your dressmaking posts karma even though I don’t understand a bluddy word! It’s like you are speaking Klingon 😁

Exactly what I thought and I can sew! Nice of you, Karmalady, to try to help everyone, though.

Stansgran Fri 24-Jul-26 10:36:20

Good morning from someone who should change their name to Baffled. I made our morning tea and went back for a refill at about 8 am. Sunny morning but the back (glass ) door looked as though we had had rain. Odd and looked at the other windows and not a drop of wet on them. I asked DH if he had watered the pot plants outside and sprayed the door . He swears he hasn’t been out and yet the step is all wet. Do I have a ghostly gardener?

aggie Fri 24-Jul-26 10:15:40

Good morning from a nice cool Co Armagh
Nothing planned for today
I owe various people a phonecall , a txt doesn’t cut it with some people , but I’m not in chatting mood
Marydolll hoping your dearly beloved gets on ok with the oscopys
Wishing everyone a pleasant day

BlueSapphire Fri 24-Jul-26 09:47:38

Hopefully here are two of my Simone dresses!

TheWeirdoAgain60 Fri 24-Jul-26 09:34:52

Good morning, Michael12 and all!

It's my day off today, so I'm at my favourite cafe scoffing pancakes, bacon and maple syrup, washed down with a huge glass of strawberry milkshake ......with cream and a straw!

Later on I'll be watching Mildred Pierce, from 1945. Starring Joan Crawford.

See you all later.

hollysteers Fri 24-Jul-26 09:25:52

Good morning from sunny Berkshire in my DDs’ nice flat. Good journey down from the north yesterday apart from leaning against a wall on the underground and getting stuck to chewing gum someone had stuck to it😨
One of my best linen jackets and the only one I have brought with me.

Flying DD came back later from Bologna. We had something to eat and some blackberries from my garden which seems rather early?

Some royal horses have just gone by my window, always nice to see them and we are going into Oxfordshire to have lunch and visit the idyllic village where I spent my holidays with my aunt and godmother, the best days of my childhood.

Nice frocks today and thoughts to Gingster and all.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Fri 24-Jul-26 09:07:49

I love redding your dressmaking posts karma even though I don’t understand a bluddy word! It’s like you are speaking Klingon 😁

harrigran Fri 24-Jul-26 09:03:51

Good morning from a sunny NE with an expected high of 21°.
Yesterday was a day spent on the sofa with my book, heartburn is bad at present.
Today I am going out to lunch with my friend, she is off to France tomorrow for several weeks.
Have a good day everyone.

Gingster Fri 24-Jul-26 08:57:33

What kind words you have sent me Fgt. Thankyou , they really gave me a lift. 💓.
We all have our trials to bear as you , more than some, well know. Take each day as it comes and go with the flow is my motto.
Thanks again 🙏

BlueSapphire Fri 24-Jul-26 08:57:09

Good morning everyone from another bright and sunny 🌞 Northampton day.

Spent yesterday morning cleaning my oven - must have been at least a year since last time....#sluttishgran. It is now sparkling, but I am aching as had to get down on my hands and knees to do the door. The oven floor is easy as I have an oven liner there and it just needs a wash in the sink. Hate doing the shelves.

After lunch decided to go and sit in the garden in the shade of the pergola, but it's quite depressing as the garden looks terrible after this long dry spell.
My gardener is coming again this afternoon to do a bit more tidying and then I hope to have him come regularly to maintain it.

Some lovely dresses on here this morning. My favourite style is from FatFace - I think the style is what you would call skater, or swing. They have a nice flare to them, and most importantly have pockets! A new one in a different fabric comes out every season and I think I must have 7 or 8 of them! It is a dress I can just pick up off the rail and buy without trying on as I know that it will fit. The style is called Simone.
Will try and put a photo on.

My cat is still being picky and eating very little, and now the other one is following suit and coming out in support of her sister! I am thinking it might be the weather.

No real cooking tonight as I have one of my batch-cooked curries thawing in the fridge and just need to do some rice to go with it.

Wishing all a pleasant day.

karmalady Fri 24-Jul-26 08:51:33

Don`t give up if you sew, if the neck feels tight at the front, it is more than likely that the shoulder needs to come forward and many of us developed a high rounded back. I am showing the two alterations I make, which results in tops and dresses fitting well on the neck area. +1/4" at the neck and +1/2" at the back with a pivot at the armcye (arm seam}. I cut the front shoulder forward by a 1/4" ie take it off at the armcye stitching line, so it evens out

Georgesgran Fri 24-Jul-26 08:39:23

Good morning from Durham. Cool, cloudy and breezy again here. I’ve had a poor night with acid reflux and I’m not in any hurry to do much. I am, however, fired up to tackle my loft. I’ll get a few more items down myself today, but need DD1 and her DH to manhandle the big stuff, so they’re ‘booked’ for next weekend. . I need a bit of Tesco shopping later, but really feel I need a quiet day.

Best wishes to all. X

WhiteSwan63 Fri 24-Jul-26 08:36:58

Good morning from the East coast. It’s sunny but chilly this morning.
I love the pictures of all your dresses. I love shift dresses and the material you’ve used is gorgeous Grandmattie
My sewing skills are very limited too so I’d never be able to make my own dress.

Today we are visiting my uncle today who is going to be discharged from hospital this morning. They can’t find anything wrong with him after two weeks and lots of tests and scans. They’ve agreed he’s on a steady decline. So he’ll go back to his assisted living with extra social care to support his carers. I need to buy him shopping that complies with a level 6 soft and bite sized diet. He will need to be fed now as his swallowing is compromised. It’s just a matter of time now it’s up to him.

Hoping you all have a good day with a few moments of joy🌼

Grammaretto Fri 24-Jul-26 08:33:59

Pressed too soon.
To check for damp and woodworm.

My DGD are also coming to play here which will be lovely.

Have a good day everyone.

Grammaretto Fri 24-Jul-26 08:32:28

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where it's starting cool but will heat up later.

I'm still waiting for the painkillers to work as I sit against an icepack. I'm so fed up with this sciatica.

I said I would do my volunteer shift at the café till this morning. I should manage.

Some expert seamstresses on here? Lovely Summer clothes. I watched the Sewing Bee. Does that count?

A surveyor is coming this afternoon on behalf of the purchasers of my house to lo

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Fri 24-Jul-26 08:30:43

I think Roman sizing is generous uttb!
I haven’t been able to squish into a size 14 since my 40’s so I feel like wearing this new dress with the size label showing ha!

I hope your friend in Majorca gets some reassuring news to share soon Marydoll such a worry for all concerned.

And Gingster I feel for your once very sporty and active husband so much. His life has been upended. Yours impacted too of course. You are so thoughtful of others. And you manage to stay upbeat and still ‘Keep Cslm and Carry On’. I really do admire your attitude to all that life has thrown at you. Selling your cottage by the sea was a body blow yet you accepted the need with good grace.
I suppose what cannot be changed has to be accepted and endured but you are an inspiration. x

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Jul-26 08:28:56

Usedtobeblonde it’s a bittersweet time for you.

Your darling GD is beginning the next step in her life, they must be so excited.

For you, your home will be quieter, and you will miss her dearly. I know you are happy for them both, focus on that 🌸

Usedtobeblonde Fri 24-Jul-26 08:14:35

Good morning from Stockport, it seems cooler but I don’t know if it is sunny as I haven’t looked out yet.
My GD and her partner departed for their new home last evening, I am happy for them but a little sad for myself, I shall miss her.
I too like Roman clothes although a few have been sent back as their sizing can be variable.
My friend was wearing a beautiful floral patterned dress from them when we went out last week, it was so pretty and fitted really well.
I hope you all have a good Friday.

Gingster Fri 24-Jul-26 08:12:26

Good morning and it’s going to be another warm one. I’ve enjoyed the few cooler mornings and evenings this last week.

I met my friend for lunch yesterday which turned into quite a long one and I arrived back home at teatime. She gave me a bag full of birthday presents - all very lovely. Good job I had my trusty trolly to carry them home.

Today I’ve already had two offers of a lift to our usual country pub. Friends are so kind but I’m not sure we’ll go. Dh won’t be keen and I waver between ‘encouraging’ him and leaving him in peace. He’s not happy when we’re there and brings the jolly-ness down a bit. I might go on my own, we’ll see!

I must do some housework this morning. Things are looking dusty and neglected. My energy levels in this heat are minimal and I find it easy to say ‘manyana’. Roll on Autumn with cool refreshing air to revive us.🙏.

Hope you’re feeling better today Redcar and all the other grans suffering one way or another. 🌺