Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering

(561 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:31:34

Anyone?
We had a nice little thread going, no rushing, just sharing, discussing, and encouraging each other. .
I've fallen out the loop, but still have a long way to go.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jun-26 18:46:02

I've thrown out a,hairclip and an ancient call blocking device.
Not exactly leaps and bounds here.

Because i shop online, the cheapest way is to buy in bulk, so I've been moving big packs of kitchen towels from place to place.

I've started moving a few tops in my wardrobe to a different part of the wardrobe, as its i had black tops behind where the door opens, and couldn't see what was what.

I've put colourful tops there now, so I can see them better.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jun-26 15:40:08

Yes, as long aa you don't overfill them, i found blush

HelterSkelter1 Wed 10-Jun-26 15:38:20

Aren't under bed drawers just wonderful!!

HelterSkelter1 Wed 10-Jun-26 15:36:22

I havd some relations coming who have grandchildren so today I have bagged up good hardback children's books. If they dont want them, I expect they will, they are bagged ready to go to the book charity shop.
I also have been through the boxed games, tidied them up, sellotaped any damaged box corners and await DD1 and 2 s decision. They don't take up much space as they stack neatly.

I put 2 large tins of emulsion, very old, but unopened by the front path with a help yourself note stuck on....and they have gone. Didn't see who took them. They will need a very good stir.

Finally I put back into a suit case 2 teddy bears and 2 other dolls. Their little eyes looking at me as I zipped it up. They are for another day when I find a shop taking toys such as, maybe dusty, bears.

Onwards and upwards everyone. A day at a time. Don't get overwhelmed.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jun-26 09:57:53

I meant to say, Calendargirl two quilt covers is marvellous!
Are you not a clutter collector, generally?

My bedding stuff is a constant battle; I have to fight my way through to the shelves (only two) it's kept on, and just take what i can get.

I've been hoping for a particular quilt cover for around six months, now, but it hasn't made itself available.

MissAdventure Tue 09-Jun-26 23:49:31

Yes, its supposed to work really well, except you have to empty out all the casualties.
Shudder!!! 🤮

PiscesLady Tue 09-Jun-26 23:46:35

DH no longer likes beer in cans, so I emptied 3 cans down the sink, as the last one disappeared I realised I should have kept them for the slugs!

MissAdventure Tue 09-Jun-26 21:06:15

I've put to one side a quilt cover.
Everyone says how pretty it is, but I'm convinced it makes me smell!

Every morning when its on, i can smell feet! blush
I don't suffer from smelly feet, but it must be the material I think.

Also one bra in the pile of "get rid ofs". Shame, i really like it, but no good for me.

Calendargirl Tue 09-Jun-26 20:58:18

I only have one summer and one winter quilt cover.

When I wash them, we have to manage without until it’s dried and aired.

I have sorted about 10 paperbacks to donate to the library.

If they don’t catalogue them, they go in their book sale, if they don’t sell, they flog them on a used book website.

Greenfinch Tue 09-Jun-26 20:25:44

I have far more than I need and can never find the matching pillowcases. You have inspired me to have a sort out and get rid of some.

MissAdventure Tue 09-Jun-26 19:36:19

That was a good job well done, then.
I've started on the cupboard of doom - taken out quilt covers and the pillow cases that match, and put them into the big lidded box under my bed.

How many quilt covers does everyone have, just out of interest? Why haven't i got one on, one off, and one in the wash??
I seem t have too many.

Rocketstop2 Tue 09-Jun-26 18:57:02

A sack went to charity this morning, they came and collected it from the door step, full of this and that and an old watch that I hung on to even though the strap was awful, the watch face was nice and big, but I no longer wear a watch and the dial is one of those that only has 12 ,3,6 and 9 on the dial, was easy to 'SEE' the missing numbers , now I'd just be guessing, so that went.Also some key rings , always seem to have a couple of those hanging about !

MissAdventure Tue 09-Jun-26 16:18:09

I've just opened the cupboard i tidied out last week, and shut the door in despair.
Industrial vacuum, plumbing pipes, football kits and boots, a steamer, you nane it, its in there.

AND I DIDN'T PUT IT IN!!!

Greenfinch Tue 09-Jun-26 11:25:41

I have just posted on Freecycle offering a big box of Mega Bloks which I am sure will go quite soon. My youngest grandchild is 6 so the bloks are now surplus to requirements.

Doodledog Tue 09-Jun-26 11:01:55

You're all doing well.

We get home this evening, so my plans to thin out wardrobes will start tomorrow.

MissAdventure Tue 09-Jun-26 00:44:22

That's a pretty good start, I'd say.
Today (fanfare of trumpets, please)
I threw out.... 1 nail! smile

PiscesLady Mon 08-Jun-26 23:27:09

I found a bag of ink cartridges from my last printer, some new but out of date. Now bagged up ready to go out with the recycling - it's a start!

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-26 17:17:50

A bag of rubbish has gone out in the process.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-26 17:16:53

I've sorted a large lidded box so it now contains whay appears to be five tonnes of sandpaper, along with paint brushes and rollers.

Of course, thay has meant emptying out things that no longer fall into those categories, so they're in a bag, back im the cupboard until i rehome or get rid of them.

2 jackets have gone onto hooks (banged in nails, in reality) back in Brian.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-26 12:24:34

Well, not decluttering as such, but i came across a pair of sandals, which my feet are too swollen to wear.
They have a velcro strap, and are Clark's, so i was in a quandry.

All I've been able to wear for ages is awful pink plastic croc type things.

So, I remembered that i had some red velcro knocking around.
I've hot glued the velcro to add a bit of extra room to the part the shoe strap folds onto.

Thus proving that some things do "come in handy".
Hope they don't all fall apart when i wear them! smile

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-26 10:01:33

Back to the grindstone today, i guess.
I've lots of everyday housework to do now, though.
I'm procrastinating.
I'm sure if I spent as much time doing things as i do pontificating about them, I'd get much more done.

Calendargirl Thu 04-Jun-26 19:21:00

I took a big bag of clean rags to the charity shop.

They still take them, although they are worth very little, I know.

But out of my way.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-26 17:38:22

Today a fabric washing bin thing has gone.
I drag it out to the washing line with clothes to hang out, but it was looking decidedly grotty. Peg bag has gone in the machine.
I think that's it so far.

rafichagran Thu 04-Jun-26 16:28:08

I have been putting of things for ages. I did one run to the recycling centre and cleared a huge cupboard. I still need the do my wardrobe and the boxes under the bed with clothes in.

I need to get myself motivated but I lack the get up and go at the moment.

Rocketstop2 Thu 04-Jun-26 16:13:44

Yes, Miss A and then you've used all your energy removing said grot, and nothing left for the actual sorting ! It's hard work isn't it ?!