I was positively shocked to get a letter today giving me £200 winter fuel allowance. It had never occurred to me that I was now eligible. It a) makes me feel very old and b) guilty because I don’t need it. I guess means testing would cost a lot so I shall just accept that it’s a right, give the money to the Salvation Army and feel old but virtuous.
Callistemon - when I was under 80 I got£100 and husband (over 80) got £200. Now both over 80 we get £150 each so still£300. You do not apply for this or the £10 benefit as comes automaticaly..
I retire next year so will get it next winter. I hadn't factored that into any of my calculations so it will be a welcome bonus! Like Tweedle24 I give more than that to charity over the year so won't be specifically earmarking it for a charity - just the same % I give of all my income.
It's been a very contentious subject for years. Don't hear to same about child allowance being paid to families who may earn £98k between partners. Older people get very few 'additional' monetary lifts so I am all in favour of WFA. If you don't need it, then do something else worthwhile with it. Even older people who already receive the payment do with an additional contribution!
Of pipe people get cold they can suffer from various Illnesses according to my age UK thermometer, it's probably cheaper to give it to everyone than risk the poorest not claiming, with the cost of emergency treatment
I certainly need it to help with my heating bill. Now not very active I feel the cold so my bill is high. If I keep warm and well I will not be costing the NHS money.
I would say put it towards your winter fuel. If you are in reciept of a retirement pension it's your entitlement. When I finally get my pension after having to wait until I'm 66 I will accept it thank you very much. Although of course the rules will almost certainly change and I will have to wait years for that too
Some need it and some don't. The means testing system would probably cost more to administer than the allowance. My allowance dropped to £100 once DH reached SPA. Personally we don't need it and so, as others do, we give it to charity.
We go to the supermarket and use the £200 to buy food for our local food bank. In doing so it ensures that every penny goes to those who need it the most.
Here in Ireland our fuel allowance is 22.50 euros per week for 28 weeks, amounting to 630 euros per annum ( going up to 24.50 euros (686 euros p.a.) from 6th Jan. We elect which bill we would like it paid into. In my house we have it taken off the gas bills. We get a Christmas bonus of 1 weeks state pension so next week DP & I will each get an extra 248.30 euros (more if you are 80+) for Christmas treats. We get free tv licences from age 66 and free travel on trams, buses and trains throughout the state. I am a UK citizen living here & I have to say that older people are better treated than in the UK.
Our heating allowance came the other day. I won't be sending it back. As the buggers they are not giving me a free tv licence anymore, I intend to cherish anything I do get out of them. And that includes my £10 Xmas bonus (Now, what shall I spend that on? )
GracesGranMK3 Sat 30-Nov-19 08:16:12 I sometimes think people feel it is a sign of weakness to look things up!
I looked up that very info a couple of days ago for my mum - she was convinced that she had never been paid £300 before, and was worried that it was a mistake.
However, I can understand why people often ask such questions here on Gransnet, as it can prove both quicker and clearer than a Google search.
I am so sorry for some. As I said, I know I am so very lucky to be able to do this. It was not always so. I have lived through some very hard times and I know what real poverty is. I am very grateful for my blessings.